I think I just bought a bootleg

Spidey-Bat

Ours is the Fury
Reaction score
I bought Mario vs Donkey Kong (GBA) on eBay (Here's the auction) since it's impossible to find in stores. I wanted to get it before the new one comes out on the DS.

Anway, the package came today and i'm suspicious of the game. The color of the cartridge is slightly (very slightly) darker, the Gameboy Advance under the top lip is in an oval (the ones I have aren't), the text of the word Game Boy is slightly thinner and smaller, the front sticker looks like it was cropped from the box art, not what it should be. Another thing is the 10-letter code on the instruction book (AGB-XXXX-USA) is different than what's on the cartridge sticker. That inner cartridge piece with the gold slats is a different color (more brown than green) and doesn't have the Nintendo and patent.. Another thing is the cartridge doesn't go smoothly into my SP or DS. The game still works though.

I'd first like to know where I can find a link to identifying bootleg GBA games. I'll Google it but I recall a very good one, maybe on eBay.

Second, I'd like some advice on what to do. The works, but I don't really want to keep it if it's a countfeit. I'm thinking of contacting the seller, but they'll probably just claim ignorance, not knowing it was a bootleg. I just checked their feedback now and see that they've done the same with DVDs. Should I contact the seller that it might be a counterfeit or should I simply ask to return it?

Bootleg confirmed. I think you're stuck with it now. No way the seller will admit it being a bootleg unless you pressure him.

I was just looking at the seller's feedback, he's sold bootleg dvds before. I could kick myself for not checking first. I'm going to try returning it, epsecially since the game doesn't save.

My dad had an incident where he got student tickets from a seller that couldn't be used by a non-student. He returned them, never got the refund from the seller, but contacted PayPal and they sorted it out.

Spidey-Bat said:
I was just looking at the seller's feedback, he's sold bootleg dvds before. I could kick myself for not checking first. I'm going to try returning it, epsecially since the game doesn't save.

My dad had an incident where he got student tickets from a seller that couldn't be used by a non-student. He returned them, never got the refund from the seller, but contacted PayPal and they sorted it out.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO, IS REPORT HIM TO EBAY, AND AUTHORITIES. WHAT HE'S DOING IS HIGHLY ILLEGAL.......ASIDE FROM BEING AGAINST EBAY RULES. THIS JACKASS NEEDS TO BE CAUGHT, FINED ABOUT $250K, AND GIVEN A FEW YEARS IN JAIL. :down

BUT YOU ALSO NEED YOUR ASS KICKED BETWEEN YOUR EARS. :O

THWIP* said:
BUT YOU ALSO NEED YOUR ASS KICKED BETWEEN YOUR EARS. :O

I know, I really should have checked but didn't think much of it:(

Maybe you could do that next time we play CoD2.

bi-ry-key said:

Go fornicate yourself, noob.

Spidey-Bat said:
I know, I really should have checked but didn't think much of it:(

Maybe you could do that next time we play CoD2.

NO PROBLEM....IT WOULD BE MY PLEASURE. :D:up:

I should ask, if I report him to eBay, will I get my money back?

Spidey-Bat said:
I should ask, if I report him to eBay, will I get my money back?

IT'S POSSIBLE.......BUT I WOULDN'T COUNT ON IT. EBAY ISN'T REALLY "RESPONSIBLE" FOR THAT SORT OF THING. :down:rolleyes:

What if I reported it to PayPal? They seem to be more productive in resolving situations.

Spidey-Bat said:
What if I reported it to PayPal? They seem to be more productive in resolving situations.

WELL, PAYPAL IS OWNED BY EBAY (BOUGHT THEM OUT A COUPLE YEARS AGO). BUT, YOU WON'T KNOW UNLESS YOU TRY, I SUPPOSE. :confused::up:

I'll give it a try, though I'll probably just send it back to the guy. You've been very helpful, THWIP :up:

Spidey-Bat said:
I'll give it a try, though I'll probably just send it back to the guy. You've been very helpful, THWIP :up:

DUDE.......DO NOT SEND IT BACK, UNLESS YOU'VE ALREADY GOT YOUR MONEY BACK. BASICALLY, IT'S "STOLEN PROPERTY" ANYWAY.......EVIDENCE AGAINST HIM. EVEN IF HE REFUNDS YOUR MONEY, I'D HANG ONTO IT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"