• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sequels If you could chose a Director....Who would it be?

TheVelvetOnion

Sidekick
Reaction score
There are many famous directors out there... who would you love to see direct an x-men movie?

To list a few...

Bryan Singer
Brett Ratner
Gavin Hood
Sam Raimi
Mark Steven Johnson
Guillermo Del Toro
Luc Besson
Tim Burton
Steven Spielberg
Joel Schumacher
JJ Abrams
Kevin Smith
David Zucker
Keenen Ivory Wayans
Quentin Tarantino
Robert Rodriguez
Paul WS Anderson
Michael Bay
Xavier Gens

Out of that list, I wouldnt mind seeing JJ Abrams take on X-Men stories... i liked what he did for Star Trek and think if anyone who knows character development it would be him...

Also i wouldnt mind seing Mark Steven Johnson do X-Men, he did do Daredevil, Elektra and Ghost Rider... all three movies i actually did enjoy watching and remained the most faithful to the comic book series... Except for a black kingpin but it worked in Daredevil.

J.J Abrams would be a good choice I think. I think he would handle a team movie very well.

I would prefer it if MSJ never touched a super hero film for the rest of his natural life. The only remotely good film he made was the Director's Cut of Daredevil and it's still not much better then average.

It's not going to happen but after Trek I'd kill to see Abrams do a reboot.

Alot of what i see in Abrams is what i see in Bryan Singer...

Bryan was chosen because he could relate to social issues and develope characters...

If you were to say look at LOST, Abrams has given each character there moment to shine and know how best to represent it.

Then you look at Mission Impossible 3 and Star Trek... he knows how to develope a plot.

I'd say put JJ Abrams on Marvel, i'd say let him do X-Men 4

Now i would say get him in for First Class or Magneto but i feel there is only one man for that...

Bryan Singer should return for First Class and Magneto. I feel that both properties were hinted on by singer in x-men 1 and 2 and i feel only he would be good enough to explain his reasoning for why he came up with x-men 1 and 2... With Wolverine you didnt need Bryan Singer for that because Wolverine has the most publiclly known history than any other marvel character.

Now that Wolverine is on dvd i've watched and watched and watched it again and you know it isnt really that bad a movie, yeah the special effects could of been better and certain characters were questionalbly placed in the movie but as a whole it had an interesting story. But bit to many plot holes caused by about 30 minutes of filming missing from the overal story. we really needed to see Wolverine fighting in Strykers team, and then know when wolverine left strykers special team, where he went and how he met silverfox. Just little bits like that but then i think we need an X-Men Origins Comic that could explain the bits inbetween.

My point with wolverine is that we didnt necessarly need Singer for his story.

But first class - the creation of the x-men you need Singer
and magneto, come on singer knew all about Magneto and where he was comming from look at the begining of x-men 1...

Now other X-Men spins of the other hand this is how i would love to see them directed.

X-Men Origins: Gambit - Directed By - Paul WS Anderson
X-Men Origins: Wolverine 2 - Directed By - Gavin Hood
X-Men Origins: Magneto - Directed By - Bryan Singer
X-Men Origins: Deadpool - Directed By - David S. Goyer
X-Men Origins: First Class - Directed By - Bryan Singer
X-Men 4 to X-Men 6 - Directed by - JJ Abrams

For X4, it would have to be Singer, unless they could get someone like Neill Blomkamp or James Cameron.

For Wolverine 2, I think Len Wiseman would be a good pick, or maybe John Woo, but he may put too much of his stamp on it.

I'd like to see Peter Jackson's take on the future X-Men reboot, once Fox loses the rights.

Peter Jackson did a great job with an ensemble cast and gave an epic feel to LOTR.

He would add more of the fantasy elements from the comics and give the characters good amount of screen time.

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Joss Whedon.

I'd also kill to see what David Fincher would do with the X-Men, as I've seen what Andrew Kevin Walker did with them.

Joss Whedon? no definatly no... yeah buffy was ok but nothing else he has done has been...

I didnt like Astonishing X-Men

I would like Joss Whedon. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog was awesome as was Astonishing X-Men. I don't think he's a god among men like most of his fans but I think he is good at writing super heroes.

He also has an interest in making people think Cyclops is badass and I'm all for that. :up:

Why do people like Josh Whedon so much... Dr.Horribles sing along blog was a rip off of Dr.Steel's act. and Astonishing X-Men is the reason X-Men 3 was bad

You like MSJ, but you can't fathom how anyone can like Whedon. :dry:

And X3 barely took anything from the Cure storyline except for the concept, which was present many times before in the comics before Astonishing X-Men. Besides, someone taking a story and butchering it is not the fault of the story. I guess the Dark Phoenix Saga is to blame for the X3 Phoenix Saga sucking too.

Last edited:
BR's name should never be mentioned in an X-men forum. Certainly not when discussing the future.

I like the idea of Singer and Whedon. I love the idea of Abrams for the X-men (but I think the Fantastic Four need him more) so I would like to see Tony Kaye ("American History X") show his intrepretation.

But of course, the main thing is that the director is a fan (and that fox keep well away). That is why Jon Favreau was such a good pick for Iron Man.

I'd also kill to see what David Fincher would do with the X-Men, as I've seen what Andrew Kevin Walker did with them.

The Kevin Walker script was awesome, it's a shame that it got rejected.

Here's the link to the script, for those curious to read it.

http://www.moviescriptsource.com/movie-script.php?id=1

Here's the link to a thread that I made regarding the script, where you can share your thoughts about it.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=324572

I didnt like Astonishing X-Men

I think Astonishing X-Men is really overrated.

I would love for David Slade to direct X-men 4 and feature the New X-men and the sentinels/purifiers as the villians.

Slade has directed Hard Candy, 30 Days of Night, and next summers Twilight Saga: Eclipse (which will be the best of the movies by far)
hard-candy-onesheet.jpg
30-days-of-night-poster-1.jpg
eclipse-title-art.jpg

You need a director who has an innate affinity with the material and its topics of minorities, discrimination, social tensions, and feeling different in being perceived to be above or below the norm. Someone gay or who has felt in some other way oppressed (racially etc) or who can empathise with such a feeling. Singer falls into this category. Who elsedoes?????

Or you need a devoted super-talent who settles for nothing less than the best (Spielberg, Jackson, Cameron, Scott). Singer also aspires to be in this category and is a good way towards it. Who else is in this position?????

I thought 30 days of Night was terrible. It was a real let down after Hard Candy.

Guillermo Del Toro :up:.

James Cameron.

James Cameron was in talks to direct an X-Men film in the late 80's and early 90's, before Fox even got the rights for it from Marvel in 1994.

I think James Cameron would have made a great X-Men film since he did classic Sci-Fi films (e.g. Terminator, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Aliens).

Throughout 1989 and 1990, Stan Lee and Chris Claremont were in discussions with James Cameron and Carolco Pictures for an X-Men film adaptation. The deal fell apart when Cameron went to work on Spider-Man, Carolco went bankrupt, and the film rights reverted to Marvel Studios.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_(film)

[A];17683658 said:

Guillermo Del Toro would also make a great X-Men film besides Peter Jackson.

you know, I wouldn't mind seeing, Ivan Reitman's take on a x-men movie

[A];17683658 said:

Wasn't he offered an X-Men film once?

My only concern with Del Toro is that he is obsessed with monsters and fantasy creatures, and the X-Men is about much more than that. Many of the key X-Men are not freakish-looking at all. Also, he dropped the ball with Hellboy 2, which failed to develop themes and got lost in the striking visuals and fantasy elements. The X-Men are more about realism than sheer fantasy.

I'm pretty sure he will be hired for a superhero movie at some point. He'd do a decent job with Fantastic Four (which has Thing and many other fantastical elements such as Inhumans), he'd also do well with Doctor Strange.

I'd be interested to see his X-Men, but I think it could veer away into pure fantasy.

Heck, I don't even think Brett Ratner was that bad. He nailed the more comicbook elements quite well, the script just needed to be a bit better and he needed to develop key ideas a bit more, remove some of the extraneous material to give the film more focus, and make sure there were no elements that would enrage fans (like Rogue taking the cure, killing Cyclops).

My only concern with Del Toro is that he is obsessed with monsters and fantasy creatures, and the X-Men is about much more than that. Many of the key X-Men are not freakish-looking at all. Also, he dropped the ball with Hellboy 2, which failed to develop themes and got lost in the striking visuals and fantasy elements. The X-Men are more about realism than sheer fantasy
I know -- that's why Hellboy II is kinda messy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"