IGN's 25 Top Franchises of All Time

Erzengel

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
Reaction score
IGN said:
Attention, earthlings! IGN Movies has taken it upon itself to rank the "Top 25 Movie Franchises of All Time." We will count down from No. 25 to No. 1 each day for the next 25 days, starting today.

We considered a number of factors in order to rank the best of the best. First, the franchise had to have at least three films released at the time we created our list (sorry Spider-Man and Jason Bourne). Also factored in were the franchises' commercial and artistic successes, as well as their impact on pop culture and how many ancillary items they spawned (videogames, comics, fast food tie-ins, etc.). It was not easy to narrow down our list to only 25 entries, and we know many of yours (and even some of ours) didn't make the cut.

1. Star Wars
2. James Bond
3. Lord of the Rings
4. Indiana Jones
5. Star Trek
6. Batman
7. Friday the 13th
8. Planet of the Apes
9. Back to the Future
10. Godfather
11. Matrix
12. Rocky
13. Alien
14. Harry Potter
15. Die Hard
16. Superman
17. Terminator
18. Godzilla
19. Jurassic Park
20. Romero's Dead Films
21. A Nightmare on Elm Street
22. Lethal Weapon
23. Dirty Harry
24. The Pink Panther
25. Saw

my guess at the top 5:

1. Star Wars
2. Indiana Jones
3. Lord of the Ring
4. Pirates of the Carribean
5. Austin Powers

The top 5 is probably obvious.

Star Wars, Star Trek, James Bond, Lord of the Rings and Indiana Jones.

I'm surprised they put Saw in there over The Man With No Name Series or even Austin Powers.

Star wars
Star Trek
Bond
Carry on films
Back to the future
Romero's 'living dead'

The first 2 HAVE to be POTC and Star Wars.

CAH

C.A.H. said:

CAH

POTC above bond? above carry on films? above star trek? Above indianna jones? above back to the future? I can go on.....:dew:

C.A.H. said:

IGN said:
First, the franchise had to have at least three films released at the time we created our list

No POTC.

I hate it LOTR is that high up.

C.A.H. said:

CAH

2 is probably Bond and 1 is Star Wars.

Pirates is still only with 2 released movies.

These franchises are 3 and above, including spin off cartoons and such.

Star Wars and Bond. Its obvious.

I have issues with Matrix being on the list and that high, no matter how good the 1st one was, Reloaded wouldn't been dragged down by Revolutions.
I have no idea why Saw should be on there.

I'm curious with all the 3rd movies coming out next year would change this list.

Honestly, I could see Spiderman and Bourne easily.

Cyrusbales said:
POTC above bond? above carry on films? above star trek? Above indianna jones? above back to the future? I can go on.....:dew:
Oops..forgot about Bond.

N/m POTC...:woot:

CAH

bond will be number one...... simply because it has had the most movies ever

Erzengel said:

This top 25 is pure crap.

Friday The 13th, Indiana Jones, Star Trek and Planet of the apes in a better position than The Godfather and Harry Potter? And where the hell is Spiderman?

Gonking said:

Friday The 13th, Indiana Jones, Star Trek and Planet of the apes in a better position than The Godfather and Harry Potter? And where the hell is Spiderman?

Spider-Man 3 is not out yet.

Gonking said:

By this lists criteria you must have at least 3 movies released to be a franchise.

Personally, I take issue with the fact that the Evil Dead series has been ignored as well as the fact that Freddy and Jason are on that list, but no mention of their forerunner, the Halloween series.

dudes, carry on films are the longest runing comedy film franchise....

also the pink panther films deserve a mention:)

Secret_Riddle said:
yes it shud.
No it shouldn't. And it doesn't make sense that Superman and Terminator are under it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"