Illumination's Super Mario movie

Judging from the rest of the cast, Illumination would probably get someone like Andy Samberg for Diddy. I'm surprised he wasn't included in the cast list since he's a popular enough character on his own but I suppose that doesn't mean he won't show up.
Considering that Seth Rogan is easily the most famous actor in this behind Pratt, I expect they're hoping they'll be able to spin this off into also making a Donkey Kong movie and are saving Diddy Kong for that.

All this internet anger reminds me of when they released the first Sonic trailer. Granted he looked terrible and they were right to change the design. But similar outrage.
I think Sonic was so universally reviled that this is still small potatoes compared to it.

Judging from the rest of the cast, Illumination would probably get someone like Andy Samberg for Diddy. I'm surprised he wasn't included in the cast list since he's a popular enough character on his own but I suppose that doesn't mean he won't show up.
Honestly, Andy Samberg as Diddy Kong would be better than any of the castings presently announced, IMO.

Again, I don’t know what people’s expectations of this are, but just watch these and substitute the characters with Mario and Luigi making pop culture references and pop music and you’ll get the gist of what the tone will be lol

I'm not encouraged.

I would say this is a microcosm of a larger problem. In productions like this they go for big names and celebrities over the right actors for the parts.

And you know what as an actor, Chris Pratt has done some fairly versatile stuff. He wasn't always the action hero or leading man. But even with his filmography, him playing Mario just sounds like crack casting.

1. No Mario doesn't need an Italian accent. But that brings us to 2.
2. What does a normal Mario speaking voice sound like? What should it sound like?

In terms of Mario and Luigi, I don't know if Nintendo has this fully established lore or bible for Super Mario Bros., but it's generally accepted that they are from originally from Brooklyn, New York.

Charlie Day is actually from New York, so I guess they can kind of fudge with that. But I mean that's one place to start with Mario and Luigi they may not have been born in Italy or New York, but they were certainly raised there.

Based on the characters included, this movie seems like it's going to be a loose adaptation of Donkey Kong (arcade game), Wrecking Crew and Super Mario Bros.

I hope that if the movie is good and successful enough to get a sequel they adapt Super Mario Bros. 2. Peach and Toad are part of the adventure in that one and there's a new villain in Wart. They'd just have to find a role for Bowser. Maybe he tries to take over the Mushroom Kingdom while the main heroes are gone and it's a race against time to get back.

That is the title of the movie though. At least from what I saw from DiscussingFilm a week back. :hehe:

Actually we really have no idea what the movie is about and exactly what they are adapting. They could many different ways with this.

Actually we really have no idea what the movie is about and exactly what they are adapting. They could many different ways with this.
Could do a Sonic and just do a bunch of homages to the games while doing an original plot.

The plot HAS to be mostly original, but I don't think they're going to stray as far from the games as the Sonic movie did. I think they're going to build an original story around the basic plot of the mainline games.

That video is why I think Charlie Day as Luigi works great. I can actually picture that kind of voice coming out of the character.

The plot HAS to be mostly original, but I don't think they're going to stray as far from the games as the Sonic movie did. I think they're going to build an original story around the basic plot of the mainline games.
They should just shamelessly steal from the Paper Mario games and Mario RPG, there's some good material there to use as inspiration.

In sequels definitely, but I think it's smart for the first movie to be the basic Super Mario Bros. plot because that's what everyone knows and a movie version of that is good for nostalgic marketing and it leaves room for sequels that are better and more interesting than the original, which is always welcome.

Edit: I'm kind of baffled Pokemon didn't do this tbh. An adaptation of Pokemon Red&Blue/Season 1 of the anime would have done much better at the box office than Detective Pikachu did.

Last edited:
In sequels definitely, but I think it's smart for the first movie to be the basic Super Mario Bros. plot because that's what everyone knows and a movie version of that is good for nostalgic marketing and it leaves room for sequels that are better and more interesting than the original, which is always welcome.

Edit: I'm kind of baffled Pokemon didn't do this tbh. An adaptation of Pokemon Red&Blue/Season 1 of the anime would have done much better at the box office than Detective Pikachu did.

I agree, and it seems like they still aren't making a new live-action Pokemon film anytime soon.

Not releasing in the midst of Avengers Endgame's box office run probably would've helped as well, DP was never going to be able to market itself effectively when all anyone was talking about was Endgame.

Not releasing in the midst of Avengers Endgame's box office run probably would've helped as well, DP was never going to be able to market itself effectively when all anyone was talking about was Endgame.

The movie didn't bomb, but it wasn't the giant hit a lot of people probably thought it would be either. Probably like many other mid-tier video game films, ie Tomb Raider 1.

The movie didn't bomb, but it wasn't the giant hit a lot of people probably thought it would be either. Probably like many other mid-tier video game films, ie Tomb Raider 1.
I'd be very curious to see how it would've done without Endgame as competition, I feel like they were being way too impulsive when they cancelled the sequel.

I'd be very curious to see how it would've done without Endgame as competition, I feel like they were being way too impulsive when they cancelled the sequel.

I think it would've done about the same.

They should just shamelessly steal from the Paper Mario games and Mario RPG, there's some good material there to use as inspiration.

definitely, especially the one on the Nintendo 64.
I hope Jack doesn’t do his po voice from kung fu panda for bowser

I amused myself with a fun little thought; Mark Hamill as the voice of Super Mario.

Not gonna happen, but I liked thinking it.

I hope Jack doesn’t do his po voice from kung fu panda for bowser
That's his normal voice, he just always sounds excited.

Still disrespectful for the italianx community though :oldrazz:

I saw Paul f thompkins put his hand up for it. He would have been fun. But I think they wanted someone people in the Midwest who hate games would want to go see

I get that Pratt is seen as stunt casting, but from what my roommate has shown me from Onward, he actually did a great job as Holland's older brother.

I get that Pratt is seen as stunt casting, but from what my roommate has shown me from Onward, he actually did a great job as Holland's older brother.

Chris Pratt is actually a great actor, and he's actually done well with dramatic and more understated roles. I think Onward is a great movie, and he's great in it. At the same time...the older brother from Onward is smart casting.

Mario of Nintendo's Super Mario Bros...I mean yeah, it's stunt casting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"