Super Mario Bros. Animated Movie | Universal

Blitzkrieg

Avenger
Reaction score
How Chris Meledandri Became the Most Powerful Man in Animation

“Shrek” isn’t the only well-known property getting the Illumination treatment. Meledandri is working on an animated version of the Nintendo game “Super Mario Bros.” that will be in theaters by 2022. There’s reason to be cautious. “Super Mario Bros.” already inspired a famously terrible 1993 movie — a film so bad that star Bob Hoskins dismissed it as “the worst thing I ever did.” Meledandri thinks he knows what went wrong in that instance: The filmmakers didn’t work with the game’s creators. He’s rectifying that this time by working hand in hand with Shigeru Miyamoto, the designer and producer responsible for creating the Mushroom Kingdom.

“It’s an ambitious task,” notes Meledandri. “The challenge is taking things that are so thin in their original form and finding depth that doesn’t compromise what generations of fans love about Mario, but also feels organic to the iconography and can support a three-act structure.”

Myamoto better be really creatively involved with this 'cause I do not trust Illumination to deliver a good animated movie, other than maybe the first Despicable Me.

The world and characters of SMB are so funky that I think they would only ever work in animation. So that at least is a good start.

If this movie is successful (which it will be) I hope they will do a Donkey Kong Country movie next.

I wonder how Mario will sound in this. He never really talks outside a few grunts and exclaimations of 'Woohoo! Haha!'

Myamoto better be really creatively involved with this 'cause I do not trust Illumination to deliver a good animated movie, other than maybe the first Despicable Me.
Sing is their best movie.
I wonder how Mario will sound in this. He never really talks outside a few grunts and exclaimations of 'Woohoo! Haha!'

So, my dreams of a Live action Mario movie with a young, Italian, John Goodman are officially over.

Nintendo Shared Universe building up to a Super Smash Brothers movie.

I don't care how awful of an idea it is. Gimme it.

Wasn't there already a Mario movie in the works at one point?

Nintendo Shared Universe building up to a Super Smash Brothers movie.

I don't care how awful of an idea it is. Gimme it.

Fire Emblem. Give me Fire Emblem!

Just make paper Mario the movie.

Do you reckon they’ll be brave enough to leave waluigi out of this one?

I think if anything can be learned from the sonic movie situation is don’t set it in the real world. Have a cgi world like Alice in wonderland or Oz the great and powerful type thing.

I mean where could you even do location scouting that would look like the mushroom kingdom anyway?

I mean, Nintendo learned this lesson a long time ago.

Yeah, I don’t think Nintendo needed a Sonic movie to know this when they have their very own Mario movie that failed at that as well.

Except what does Nintendo even really have to do with this movie? Does Illumination even know what a good Mario movie is?

Except what does Nintendo even really have to do with this movie? Does Illumination even know what a good Mario movie is?
Personally I think Illumination doesn't know what a good movie is in general, the highest their bar has gone so far is mediocre in my opinion. I think the absolute best case we should hope for still winds up with us getting subjected to Goombas that are just as obnoxious as the Minions.

Yeah I actually have a good feeling this time. Of course it’s all about the cast I reckon. The cast is make or break

Yeah I actually have a good feeling this time. Of course it’s all about the cast I reckon. The cast is make or break
Charles Martinet better do at least some of the voice work for Mario, he could probably tone it down for full lines, but hearing anyone else's voice out of Mario would just be wrong, knowing Illumination though, they'll probably cast someone more famous who isn't even known for voice acting.

I like Martient but nobody wants to hear that high pitched squeak for 90 minutes.

I think it would be best to go along the Minion route of having the characters just say the occasional word (like in their games) and let their actions and personalities do the talking.

Reactions: CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"