Immunizations for Cocaine, Tobacco, ect.

Genesis 1.0

Thread Overlord's Minion
Reaction score
Well after reading this month's edition of Newsweek, I came across an interesting article that shows research and testing already underway for what can only be called a vaccination for people's addictions. They're literally working on a way to make people immune to effects of unwanted drugs.

The overrall goal of this endeavor seems to be an immunization for children at a young age which would basically remove the threat of addictions as early as elementary school. Personally, I think this is pretty kick ass but it's already drawing heat from many who feel it's an invasion into the rights of everyday people, not just in America. You're better off reading the actual article in this month's edition of Newsweek, but there is a shorthand version on the internet and here it is:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/83873

So what do YOU think about it?

Theres still that mental addiction, weed is not addicting but i sometimes feel i NEED to smoke though i know i don't have to or don't really want to.

Theres still that mental addiction, weed is not addicting but i sometimes feel i NEED to smoke though i know i don't have to or don't really want to.

But what if you could have been immunized before you ever tried it?

Yeah, that's the point. With this procedure, they destroy the possibility of even becoming addicted on a molecular level. In fact shooting you with modified cocaine in order to raise a natural immunity against it.

Oddly enough, some people feel it's too invasive and just more of Big Brother. Frankly, I don't see that dimension.

Addictions are more mental than physical at times. That person can keep thinking that they need that extra smoke or that next shot in the arm, even if they physically don't. That's where OCD stems from, **** you don't need to do, but your mind keeps saying you do.

that's because of the pleasant experiences you associate w/ smoking it; if you were immunized to prevent its effects, you would never develop those feelings . . .

Anyone who would be against this has obviously never been addicted to a drug and has no conception of how horrible, and stupidly horrible it is.

The physical/chemical factor is a huge component of addiction.

How ******ed,

"HEY! Don't take away my right to try a drug once and end up having it run my entire life, until I need it to function in any way, and I lose my job, my dreams, my wife, kids and friends because my every waking moment revolves around the procurement and use of more, more, more, more, more, more of this drug that is killing me...as I weep because more than anything I want to stop using it, but am completely powerless to do so."

:whatever:

Yeah, that's the whole point of this research. Broken down simply, cocaine molecules are too small to be blocked by your immune system so they travel from the entry point to your nervous system and on to open addicitve pathways that didn't exist before obviously. With this new treatment, they'll effectively kill off the high before it comes just that and more importantly, before you can gain any addiction to it.

Anyone who would be against this has obviously never been addicted to a drug and has no conception of how horrible, and stupidly horrible it is.

The physical/chemical factor is a huge component of addiction.

How ******ed,

"HEY! Don't take away my right to try a drug once and end up having it run my entire life, until I need it to function in any way, and I lose my job, my dreams, my wife, kids and friends because my every waking moment revolves around the procurement and use of more, more, more, more, more, more of this drug that is killing me...as I weep because more than anything I want to stop using it, but am completely powerless to do so."

:whatever:

While I have never been addicted to a drug, I do know some who have and I think this statement sums up how they feel about it. Now that they've managed to get away from it they really couldn't be happier.

This is why I'm puzzled by some of the angry responses I saw on the Newsweek comment section.

the government will never let this fly for tabacco addiction though . . . although it's the addiction to the chemicals they put in cigarettes IMO that causes the bulk of the addiction . . .

We don't take addictions to alcohol, tobacco and drugs(except the extreme illegal ones) serious in society, because it's not some uncommon thing. Most people do either of those three, so we don't focus on it.

I wonder how they will immunize for internet addiction. Hmmm...

jag

the government will never let this fly for tabacco addiction though . . . although it's the addiction to the chemicals they put in cigarettes IMO that causes the bulk of the addiction . . .

Yeah that's what I was thinking as far as Big Tabacco is concerned but it's the tabacco research that's at the forefront and already being given field tests with some encouraging results at that.

It's clear that there's still a few years before this is truly streamlined so I suppose that's when the legislation gets jammed by special interests.

On a very basic level, sure, this sounds great. But I think there's more to it than that.

Yes, we'd probably be better off without heroin or cocaine. But honestly people, don't you think we'd come up with new ways to get high and destroy our bodies? Don't you think we'd come up with new commodities to kill each other over? You get rid of cocaine, kids will start huffing paint. You take away heroin, dealers start pushing meth. It's a complex problem. Immunizing against cocaine might make you not want to do cocaine, but will it stop you from wanting to use drugs in general? I don't think so.

Then there's the freedom of will issue. If the immunization is voluntary, then that's great. But if they start inocculating all babies at birth or make it mandatory for public schooling and work, then it all seems a little too "Big Brother knows best" to me. I don't believe you can force morality or "good behavior" upon people.

:dry:

Helping a baby to grow up impervious to pointless chemical addiction is a lot more helpful than circumcising him and people don't seem to think that's too terrifying.

Addiction is not about "morality".
Good people can become addictied to a chemical.
Anyone can.
And when they do evil things while in the throes of that addiction, they aren't things that that person would choose to do if they were in their right mind.

It would be neat if I could have "a few beers" and then just stop.
I can't stop, so, I can't have a few beers.
If I was treated so that a few beers no longer made me crave a bottomless gallon jug of whiskey after drinking them, that wouldn't be "forcing morality" on me.
It's using science to improve one's life, just like immunizing against the flu or treating high blood pressure with medication.

:dry:

Helping a baby to grow up impervious to pointless chemical addiction is a lot more helpful than circumcising him and people don't seem to think that's too terrifying.

Addiction is not about "morality".
Good people can become addictied to a chemical.
Anyone can.
And when they do evil things while in the throes of that addiction, they aren't things that that person would choose to do if they were in their right mind.

It would be neat if I could have "a few beers" and then just stop.
I can't stop, so, I can't have a few beers.
If I was treated so that a few beers no longer made me crave a bottomless gallon jug of whiskey after drinking them, that wouldn't be "forcing morality" on me.
It's using science to improve one's life, just like immunizing against the flu or treating high blood pressure with medication.

Exactly, Wilhelm! It's what's best for people! And while we're at it, everyone should have be Catholic by law, because their spiritual well being in this and the after life are very important and they need help ensuring they're on the right path where that's concerned. And everyone should wear the same uniform, so it cuts down on people being robbed and beaten or even killed for their clothes. And the government should just go ahead and decide what people should have for careers and how their education will work towards that, including college. That way we can address the shortages we have in things like medicine and engineering. It's what's best for everyone and will improve their lives.

jag

this will be AWESOME for the world.

and yes, it will turn people into vampires.

that's because of the pleasant experiences you associate w/ smoking it; if you were immunized to prevent its effects, you would never develop those feelings . . .

Weed is not addictive. The body has natural receptors to THC.

Even if they did find a way to neutralize the effects of weed, I certainly wouldn't volunteer to have it done.

Exactly, Wilhelm! It's what's best for people! And while we're at it, everyone should have be Catholic by law, because their spiritual well being in this and the after life are very important and they need help ensuring they're on the right path where that's concerned. And everyone should wear the same uniform, so it cuts down on people being robbed and beaten or even killed for their clothes. And the government should just go ahead and decide what people should have for careers and how their education will work towards that, including college. That way we can address the shortages we have in things like medicine and engineering. It's what's best for everyone and will improve their lives.

jag

:cwink:

I wouldn't even consider it until they did a trial run on a small focus group, and waited for a long time for any side effects. Don't need any I Am Legend scenarios.

I'm really not against it, but it's something that needs to be voluntary and left to the parents to decide in the case of children, or for people either wanting the help or who have been court ordered to get it because they are completely out of control. It shouldn't be something that's mandatory or enforced by the government. I also think that something like this needs A LOT of testing done on it to determine possible long and short-term side effects. When you start mucking with the body at a molecular level, the chances of something going wrong are pretty good.

jag

spoken like a true weed head :whatever:

Umm, it's a chemical and biological FACT.

Also, I never said I smoke weed. I said I'd be opposed to an immunization against it, for no other reason than because an immunization against it could have side-effects more serious than what weed can do to someone, which is essentially nothing except cause the release of endorphins.

jag

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen you post something that absurd. :eek:
I'm amazed.
Who is suggesting that it should be mandatory? I didn't read the article so I'm not aware of anyone who is trying to make it mandatory.

Next, uh...is Catholicism true, is there an after life, do we have souls, is there a God?
That's up for debate and some believe the answer to those questions, or some of them, are "Yes."...while some believe the answers are "No."
It's a matter of belief and faith and speculation.

Is Addiction harmful to some people? (ADDICTION, not "DRUGS"....being ADDICTED to drugs)
That's not a matter of debate and speculation.

Have scientists discovered from their research that if there is an alcoholic in the family then this weakness can be passed on genetically?

Absolutely.

Would an addict choosing to try and forestall possible addiction in his child's future be even remotely similar to instituting a new mandatory national religion?

Dude...:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"