Installing a Sound Card....Help please....

BAH HUMBBUG!

There's an invisible man
Reaction score
Hey anyone that is willing to read this and help.

Here's the deal.

I am installing a sound card for my mom on her desktop computer.

Gateway P4 1.3ghz
128MB Ram
Win XP Pro
80GB HD

But the damn computer will not read the Sound Card when I insert it and turn it back on. Do I have to go through BIOS?

Does it matter what PCI slot it is inerted into?

Any other info that would help anyone figure this out?

did ur soundcard come with an installation cd? if so just turn on the comp and install that way. but u shouldn't have to go through bios and/also it don't matter what pci slot u insert it to.

so if i were you i would just insert the sound card then run the installation on the cd.

did ur soundcard come with an installation cd? if so just turn on the comp and install that way. but u shouldn't have to go through bios and/also it don't matter what pci slot u insert it to.

so if i were you i would just insert the sound card then run the installation on the cd.

I did, and it's not working. Plus the CDrom it came with is a bit odd. A bunch of files just open up, it doesn't automatically open a file and boot a driver or anything.

Is there a posibility that the PCI slot I have it inserted to does not work and can't recognize the sound card?

I did, and it's not working. Plus the CDrom it came with is a bit odd. A bunch of files just open up, it doesn't automatically open a file and boot a driver or anything.

see if you can manually look for the main installer on the cd
  • go 2 my computer and look for the optical drive the cd is in.
  • right click on the cd and click explore.
  • the look for the main installer.
  • *it should be on the first pop up screen and the file name is usually followed by an ".exe"

Well I reinstalled the sound card into another slot and the computer still won't recognize it.

The computer does not recognize a hardware change.

The computer recognizes the CD but when it automatically runs it, it trys to run it through windows media player.

The other options it gives me are: copy pictures, print the pictures, view a slideshow of the images, transfer images, open folder to view files and take no action.

When I open or explore the CD-ROM, it gives me 14 folders that all have different titles. Nothing to indicate which is the correct one.

Should I just look for an audio driver online? But does that matter if the computer won't recognize the Sound Card? Could the Sound card be bad?

Should I just look for an audio driver online? But does that matter if the computer won't recognize the Sound Card? Could the Sound card be bad?

that's what it's sounding like or ur not putting it in the slot correctly

What kind of a motherboard are you using? I'm going to take a look at the manual today after my classes.

Normally with soundcards you plug it in the PCI slot, it will pick up the hardware and have a ! in a yellow triangle in the device manager, then you would install the drivers to get it to work.

If its not picking it up you either have a ****ed pci slot or ****ed sound card, if your on a desktop why not try it in your pc? If it works its your mothers motherboard if it doesnt its the soundcard.

But first check you have no yellow ! in your device manager

START
RUN
type devmgmt.msc

look there

Normally with soundcards you plug it in the PCI slot, it will pick up the hardware and have a ! in a yellow triangle in the device manager, then you would install the drivers to get it to work.

If its not picking it up you either have a ****ed pci slot or ****ed sound card, if your on a desktop why not try it in your pc? If it works its your mothers motherboard if it doesnt its the soundcard.

But first check you have no yellow ! in your device manager

START
RUN
type devmgmt.msc

look there

Nothing at all. I tried two different PCI slots. I think the sound card is ****ed. I may be wrong.

Nothing at all. I tried two different PCI slots. I think the sound card is ****ed. I may be wrong.

Its looking that way, but really a bog standard soundcard just for sound and nothing special is REALLY! cheap these days you can pick one up for a few dollars so its no great loss

Somewhat recently. But not within the last month. Maybe two months.

Just open up your tower and right down all the info from your motherboard, put your tower back together then tell me what it is.

Ok, I know it has been a long time since I started this thread but I am finally back now with some information. The motherboard contained in said computer that I am still having problems with is......Intel Corporation D850GB.....does that help at all with anyone trying to help me figure out my problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"