Linksys PCI Adapter Problem

I-T-B

Superhero
Reaction score
I've just purchased a Dell Optiplex GX270 XP computer with the intention of upgrading a few elements. One was a graphics card, which I bought today, and the other was a Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter, which I took out of my old XP computer (I installed it in that one a couple of years ago). The graphics card went in no problem, and that functions fine. I then tried to install the Linksys card, and I'm having some serious problems. First I put in the disc, following the instructions, and installed the drivers. Then I shut down the computer, unplugged it, opened it up, and put the card in an open PCI slot. I turned it on, and it looked like it was going to go, but it was a fake-out. I got a blue screen, which read:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove and newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x003B34E6, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xBA82DCD9)

So, I started it in safe mode, uninstalled the driver, and restarted the computer, it started fine. When I tried to install the drivers again, it went back to the blue screen. So I removed the Linksys card. It started fine. I've tried to reinstall this thing several times, with the same problem. It will start up with the card in, with the drivers installed, but not both. I looked for solutions online with my laptop, downloaded drivers off of Linksys, transferred them over, and tried again, but it didn't help. I set my paging file size to be system managed, but that didn't help either. I have a perfectly fine, functioning computer with the Linksys card removed, but no internet access. I'd really like to get this card installed, and would be IMMENSELY grateful if somebody could give me a hand. Like, you have no idea. I'd spoiler a picture of a cookie in gratitude, or something...

Man problems like this are just nasty....
STOP errors can be so misleading...did it give any more info?

Man problems like this are just nasty....
STOP errors can be so misleading...did it give any more info?

That was all it said. Initially, the first couple of times, the screen said something about a memory dump, but it hasn't mentioned that at all the past... like... ten times...

Go to Linksys website.

Manually download the most up to date version of the driver that is available.

Try that out. Make sure the original drivers are complete uninstalled first. Also, I would not install Linksys' third party software. Once you get the thing running, rely on Windows to get the job done.

Also, I know this may sound really stupid, make sure your windows is up to date, Service Pack 3 and all.

Go to Linksys website.

Manually download the most up to date version of the driver that is available.

Try that out. Make sure the original drivers are complete uninstalled first. Also, I would not install Linksys' third party software. Once you get the thing running, rely on Windows to get the job done.

Also, I know this may sound really stupid, make sure your windows is up to date, Service Pack 3 and all.

I did go to the Linksys site and download the drivers, but they haven't updated the ones for this particular adapter since 2005, so it didn't do any better, my installation CD already had the most up to date drivers. As for Windows, it's running Service Pack 2, but I can't download SP3 onto it without internet. Would it just be a .exe I could put on a disc and get onto the XP computer?

I did go to the Linksys site and download the drivers, but they haven't updated the ones for this particular adapter since 2005, so it didn't do any better, my installation CD already had the most up to date drivers. As for Windows, it's running Service Pack 2, but I can't download SP3 onto it without internet. Would it just be a .exe I could put on a disc and get onto the XP computer?

SP3

its an .exe, copy it to cd or usb drive and you can install from there

Thanks. I'll download that and give it a try. I dunno if it'll help or not, though. The computer I had the card in before (where it worked fine) was SP2...

Never underestimate what a Windows Update can do. It can wreak some peoples computers or solve 90% of the problems they're having. When I first started my job, I ran into literally, over a dozen computers, in the first week, that the problems were solved just by running Windows Updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"