Interview with Ratner and Tattoo Artist

Retroman

Avenger
Reaction score
I know the second one is a little dated but i hadn't seen it here nor read it before.

Behind the Tattoos With

With
Tom Berg

1221299eb.jpg

By Crystal Lafata

While celebs get all the credit for art performed in front of the camera, many of the hardest working artists in the industry prefer to hide behind the scenes, deep within the shadows of a makeup trailer and away from the chaos of Hollywood.

Ten years ago artist Tom Berg embraced another medium, adding the buzz of his tattoo machine to the scratch of his pencil and the wisp of his paintbrush. Today, he not only etches his artwork into the skin of San Pedro customers but he's unexpectedly fallen into the film industry by drawing tattoos for movies and television.

“I see a lot of people struggle in the industry and I don't envy it,” Berg says. “I'm pretty un-Hollywood so it's good for me because I can get in, just do my thing and get out.”

His first piece was a set of devilish horns for the movie Red Dragon in 2002, a prequel to Silence on the Lambs and since, his highly acclaimed work and positive attitude has brought much more work his way.

Through working on Red Dragon , Berg met producer/director, Brett Ratner ( Rush Hour , After the Sunset ). Berg says they got along really well and when Ratner got the call to work on the hit Fox show “Prison Break”, he asked Berg to come along for the ride.

“He's the type of guy that when he sees something, he knows it will work,” Berg says. “I didn't realize that he was so particular and I respect that.”

Ratner continues to include Berg in his projects with X-Men 3: The Last Stand . For this project Berg designed tattoos for many of the mutants as part of an elaborate makeup department. Tons of tattoos, prosthetics, creative makeup and hair designs will be seen in this installment of the X-Men trilogy.

His main and most challenging piece was for the mutant, Callisto (Dania Ramirez). His original design was a facial tattoo but once they tried it out on the petite actress, Berg says it ended up looking “like a silly Batman mask.” After flying out to Canada and spending hours with the makeup department head, Kris Evans and Ramirez, he came up with a decorative rod iron design for the side of her face.

“I wanted something strong but not too tribally because that looks guyish,” Berg says. “I wanted it unique, not like a typical street fighter look.”

Berg also designed Callisto's arm band and the omega symbol on her chest. Also displaying Bergs challenging artwork will be Maxwell Jordan aka Quill (Ken Leung) with a huge Asian architectural piece that flows from his chin onto his throat.

The last character to flaunt Berg's designs already has many real tattoos herself. Actress Omahyra Mota plays Philippa Sontag aka Arclight and will sport Berg's work on the side of her dainty neck

“Brett sent me some pictures and then we went to dinner and I just drew designs on some napkins,” Berg jokes. “I know it sounds cheesy.”

Berg's talent has kept him quite busy. His upcoming projects also include designing tattoos for The Reaping , starring Hilary Swank. Berg looks forward to watching his creations come to life on the big screen. “I'm not gonna quit tattooing, ever, unless I lose an arm or something.”
Source: http://www.campuscircle.net/review.cfm?r=2341

Interview with Brett Ratner -4.3.06
Tuesday, 28 March 2006

X-Men 3: The Last Stand Opens on May 26, 2006
Starring: Hugh Jackman (Wolverine), Halle Berry (Storm), Ian McKellen(Magneto), Famke Janssen (Jean Grey), Anna Paquin (Rogue), Kelsey Grammer (Beast),
Rebecca Romijn (Mystique), Vinnie Jones (Juggernaut), James Marsden (Cyclops), Patrick Stewart (Prof. Charles Xavier),Shawn Ashmore (Iceman), Ben Foster
(Angel, Archangel), Daniel Cudmore (Colossus)...

Brett Ratner Bio

Brett Ratner has established himself as one of Hollywood's most successful directors.
By the time he was twenty-six years old, he directed his first feature film, the box office hit,Money Talks, starring Charlie Sheen and Chris Tucker. His second film, the action comedy Rush Hour, starring Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker, earned $250 million worldwide.
He followed that success with The Family Man, a critical as well as another box office hit, starring Nicolas Cage and Tea Leoni. A year later, Ratner delivered more Hong Kong-style action with Rush Hour 2, which grossed more than $342 million worldwide. His last film, Red Dragon, made box office history in 2002 as the biggest opening weekend in October and went on to gross $250 million worldwide.

Raised in Miami Beach, Ratner dreamed of being a filmmaker since the age of eight. He enrolled in New York University's Tisch School of Arts when he was sixteen, becoming the department's youngest film major. While attending NYU Film School, he made Whatever Happened to Mason Reese, which earned awards and brought him to the attention of Steven Spielberg, whose Amblin Entertainment gave him a production grant.

When hip-hop impressario Russell Simmons saw the short, he hired him for his
music videos. Ratner has since directed more than 100 music videos for such artists as Madonna, Mariah Carey, Jay-Z, Wu Tang Clan, D'Angelo, Heavy D, Mary J. Blige, Foxy Brown, Public Enemy, P. Diddy, and many others. He also won the Tony Award for producing Russell Simmons' Def Poetry Jam on Broadway.

In addition to success in film and music, Ratner has also segued into the world of publishing. He published Mark Helfrich's photo-driven Naked Pictures of my Ex Girlfriends and authored the Powerhouse Books project, Hilhaven Lodge: The Photo Booth Pictures, which was released in October 2003.

Ratner is on the board of directors of the Chrysalis Foundation, which helps
economically disadvantaged and homeless individuals change their lives through jobs. For his work with the organization, Ratner was the recipient of the Spirit of Chrysalis Award.

SoHood.com: In your opinion, will X-Men 3: The Last Stand exceed X-Men fans expectations?
Brett Ratner: In my opinion, absolutely. The script was a bigger canvas. It was the final chapter in the X-Men motion picture trilogy. It's much more emotional and action-packed. Feels like an epic.

SoHood.com: Who is your favorite X-Men character?
Brett Ratner: My favorite character is Magneto because he's a villian whose anger really comes from a true place.

SoHood.com: Do you have a favorite comic book character?
Brett Ratner: My favorite comic book character is Superman, because I grew up reading all the comics.

SoHood.com: Are you going to or have you been offered the chance to direct the upcoming film of Wolverine the movie?
Brett Ratner: I cannot answer that question at this time...

SoHood.com: You did a great job directing Red Dragon and both Rush Hour films, how was the experience like working with Anthony Hopkins, Jackie Chan, and Chris Rock?
Brett Ratner: Working with great actors, I learn different things every day on each of my movies. Part of my love is collaborating with actors, especially actors as experienced as Anthony Hopkins and Jackie Chan. I've never worked with Chris Rock yet, but we're working on developing a movie with Eddie Murphy. If you were referring to Chris Tucker, he's a lot of fun and I love working with him as well. I'm looking forward to working with Jackie and Chris on "Rush Hour 3".

SoHood.com: You've come so far from directing music videos to making big box office films, what other goals do you want to accomplish?Brett Ratner: I want to have a family one day.

SoHood.com: Do you have any upcoming film projects that you're working on?
Brett Ratner: When I finish "X-Men: The Last Stand", I'll start pre-production on
"Rush Hour 3".

-Interview by Mario Diaz, So Hood Magazine

For more info on Director Brett Ratner
visit his Official Webite: www.BrettRatner.com

To View the Trailer for X-Men 3: The Last Stand
visit www.x-menthelaststand.com
Source: http://www.sohood.com/1/content/view/199/29/

Article spotted on C2F.

Posted on: Friday, May 26, 2006

Hollywood taps local trainer for 'X-Men' stunts

By Wayne Harada
Advertiser Entertainment Writer

bilde3af.jpg

Nito Larioza hangs with beasties on the set of "X-Men: The Last Stand."

NITO LARIOZA

Hometown: Wahiawa

Current home: Sherman Oaks, Calif.

Current projects: "Yoga Aloha" video, incorporating yoga with his Island music; a new film he can't discuss

Notable 'n' quotable: "I love to mix the arts whenever I work on a job."

As a kid growing up in Wahiawa, Nito Larioza read comic books and relished the action-hero escapism.

Now he's leading a charmed Hollywood life, working with and training movie stars Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry and Kelsey Grammer, who are principals in "X-Men: The Last Stand," the third installment of the film franchise, opening today.

"It's a dream come true," he said in a phone interview.

He spent six months last year in Vancouver, British Columbia, working with the fight and stunt teams and serving as movement choreographer for "X-Men." "For a local boy from Hawai'i, it was awesome, telling actors what and how to do it, to be part of a movie with a $175 million budget."

It also was a reunion with Berry, who plays Storm. Larioza helped the Oscar-winning actress attain feline traits in her earlier "Catwoman" flick.

"The first time, it was a lot more loose; we had fun, we hung out together, she and I joked around, acting stupid," he said. "This time, my bosses made sure we were still professional (and) respect our jobs. She was still cool."

Jackman, as Wolverine, was a joy to align with and a swift learner. "People don't understand that he comes from a dancer background, which was a plus," said Larioza. "With movements he had to do, he picked it up quickly. There was one instance where Wolverine and Juggernaut clash, which was difficult (and dangerous) but no one got hurt. Hugh was really nice; he'd see me dancing during the down time and tell me, 'Do it again; I want to see it.' "

And Grammer, the Beast, displayed courage as he tried his stunts. "Most of my work was trying (to make) him look good with the stress, since he was not a physical guy. He surprised me, where he did a flip off the wall himself."

Over the last decade, Larioza has evolved into a Hollywood behind-the-scener. A onetime boy-band singer here (Bad Boys Club, then The New Generation), he has danced with Madonna on tour, toured as the Blue Power Ranger and battled with The Rock.

He's earned his stripes to the point where he's frequently tapped for projects. "It was cool to work with 'X-Men' director Brett Ratner, who will do 'Rush Hour III' next, and I'd love to be part of that, too."

Biggest thrill? "That I've managed to tap into Marvel (X-Men) and DC (Catwoman) from my past and be part of them as an adult."
Source: http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060526/ENT01/605260318/1123/ENT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"