Ioan Gruffud: Mr. Fantastic Threads Merged

Head>On<Collider

Superhero
Reaction score
OK everyone, I'm jealous of Ioan Gruffud getting to be Jessica's love interest. Jealousy is not good. It's bad. I need to change. But the key to heal myself of such jealousy is to be able to look apon the face of whom I envy.I need to discuss and express my frustrations. And I also need to become accepting of who he is. Therefore I open the Ioan Gruffud as Mr. Fantastic thread. Hopefully I'll be fully healed by next July......

Soooooo wheres the BIO oh Reed???

flight26 said:
OK everyone, I'm jealous of Ioan Gruffud getting to be Jessica's love interest. Jealousy is not good. It's bad. I need to change. But the key to heal myself of such jealousy is to be able to look apon the face of whom I envy.I need to discuss and express my frustrations. And I also need to become accepting of who he is. Therefore I open the Ioan Gruffud as Mr. Fantastic thread. Hopefully I'll be fully healed by next July......
i'm sure you will be fully healed and you will be able to accept Ioan for who he is and as Reed by July! after seeing him in interviews, whats not to love! he is definetly the most soft spoken member of the cast.

albafan said:
Soooooo wheres the BIO oh Reed???
Who is he?

Dr. Reed Richards is a scientist, who, prior to Issue #1 had
been working on a space craft, which was about to have its funding
cut off. In a last ditch attempt to get the flight off the ground,
Reed, his fiance (Sue Storm), his fiance's brother (Johnny Storm),
and one of his college classmates and a test pilot (Ben Grimm),
snuck through security to take the shuttle for a test flight. Turns
out that there wasn't enough shielding, and the Fantastic Four was
born.
Reed is the brains behind the FF, and he was basically their
leader for the first 381 Issues or so, until his "death". Since then
the team's leadership has come into question.
He and Sue were married in Annual #3, and their child,
Franklin was born in Annual #6. Reed's father, Nathaniel Richards,
was introduced in Issue #273.

What are his powers?

Reed has the ability to stretch or reform his body in just
about any way that he chooses. He can stretch to about 1500 feet
before the onset of pain. He can use his body as a sort of a
catapault for both objects and people; this catapaulting ability
can be used to fire projectiles back at their original firer. He
often uses his body to wrap around people that he wishes to detain.
He can reduce his molecular cohesion, and become a "blob" of sorts.
He can expand his body and use it as a makeshift glider. He can
slim down enough for his body to fit through the eye of a needle.
Mr. Fantastic is often considered the weakest member of the
group, although there he must have some element of super strength,
considering the people and items that he has picked up/catapaulted/
ferried, etc.

The Old Mr. Fantastic :

reed1.gif
reed2.jpg
reed3.jpg
reed4.jpg
The New Mr. Fantastic :

reed5.jpg
reed6.jpg

surfergirl said:
i'm sure you will be fully healed and you will be able to accept Ioan for who he is and as Reed by July! after seeing him in interviews, whats not to love! he is definetly the most soft spoken member of the cast.
Well......I did think he was pretty cool in Titanic..............

Ioan's Filmography:
http://www.ioanonline.com/video/taurusstuntshow.zip king arthur presentation clip
Film
2005 - Fantastic Four (Reed Richards/Mr Fantastic)
2004 - King Arthur (Lancelot)
2003 - This Girl's Life (Daniel)
2002 - Man and Boy (Harry)
2002 - The Forsyte Saga (Phillip Bosinney)
2002 - The Gathering (Dan)
2001 - Black Hawk Down (Ranger Beale)
2001 - Happy Now (Max Bracchi)
2000 - 102 Dalmatians (Kevin)
2000 - Shooters (Freddy Guns)
2000 - Another Life (Freddie Bywater)
2000 - Very Annie Mary (Hob)
1998 - Solomon and Gaenor (Solomon)
Nominated for an Oscar for Best Foreign Film, 2000 Academy Awards
1997 - Titanic (Fifth Officer Lowe)
Winner of 11 Oscars, 1998 Academy Awards
1997 - Wilde (John Gray)

Television
2003 - Century City (Lucas Gold)
2003 - Hornblower and the Hotspur (Commander Horatio Hornblower)
2000 - Hornblower II (Horatio Hornblower)
2000 - The Miracle Maker (Gwr y Gwyrthiau) (Voice of Jesus in the Welsh Version)
1999 - Warriors (John Feeley)
Winner: Best Drama, 1999 South Bank Awards
Winner: Best Single Drama, Royal Television Society Awards.
Winner: Best Single Drama Award, Broadcasting Press Guild Awards.
1999 - Love in the 21st Century episode "masterion" (Jack)
1999 - Great Expectations (TV) (Pip)
1998 - Hornblower (Horatio Hornblower)
Winner: Best Miniseries, 1999 Emmy Awards
Winner: Best Actor in a drama series, 1999 Biarritz International Television Festival
1997 - A Mind to Kill episode "Strange Territory" (Karl Stranger)
1996 - Poldark (Jeremy Poldark)
1995 - Double Exposure - A Relative Stranger (Nigel)
? - William Jones (Arfon)
1989-1994 - Pobol Y Cwm (Gareth Wyn)
? - Austin (Defi Lewis)

Theatre
? - The Decameron (A play at the Gate Theater)
? - Untitled Nick Ward Play (Royal National Studio)

Audio
? - Hornblower Audio Books
2004 - Essential Poems (to fall in love with)
2002 - When Love Speaks
2002? - Siwan
2000 - DK Read and Listen: Robin Hood
1998 - Diana: A Dedication in Seven Ages

wow flight..when you open a thread you certainly go all out.
I can understand your jealousy but remember you have a lady so take comfprt in that:)
Of all the cast he was the only one i was unsure of.I'm a big chiklis and Jess fan and julian is class in nip/tuc so again i was happy with the choice.I'd never heard of evans until i saw he'd got the FF part but i was just happy it wasn't paul walker..lol.
Now as for Ioan i know he can act but i'm just hoping he can keep his american accent all the way through as his welsh one is very strong.

hunter rider said:
wow flight..when you open a thread you certainly go all out.
I can understand your jealousy but remember you have a lady so take comfprt in that:)
Of all the cast he was the only one i was unsure of.I'm a big chiklis and Jess fan and julian is class in nip/tuc so again i was happy with the choice.I'd never heard of evans until i saw he'd got the FF part but i was just happy it wasn't paul walker..lol.
Now as for Ioan i know he can act but i'm just hoping he can keep his american accent all the way through as his welsh one is very strong.
Before they announced him for the role, who did you think they were gonna pick?

flight26 said:
Before they announced him for the role, who did you think they were gonna pick?
Don't hate me but George clooney.I personally quite liked josh brolin for the role or michael weatherly.

I wanted George Clooney for Reed soooooooooooooooooo bad before they started casting.

Kmackintrush said:
I wanted George Clooney for Reed soooooooooooooooooo bad before they started casting.
As for what I've read, I heard that back in January, they almost gave the job to Steven Soderbergh for the very reason that he'd be able to bring Clooney along. They even almost picked him over Sean Austin.:p

flight26 said:
As for what I've read, I heard that back in January, they almost gave the job to Steven Soderbergh for the very reason that he'd be able to bring Clooney along. They even almost picked him over Sean Austin.:p
Soderbergh would have made the "look at us, how achingly cool are we" FF movie:rolleyes:
Wasn't there also talk of Renee Zellwegger as Sue ? *shudder*

hunter rider said:
Soderbergh would have made the "look at us, how achingly cool are we" FF movie:rolleyes:
Wasn't there also talk of Renee Zellwegger as Sue ? *shudder*
Sean Austin would've been perfect......he was probably too expensive.

I like Ioan for Reed. He was very well cast. George Clooney would've been terrible.

The Flash said:
I like Ioan for Reed. He was very well cast. George Clooney would've been terrible.
I think after B&R, Clooney swore off comic book adapts. for life. Poor guy blames himself for that movie.....:p :batman:

The Flash said:
I love George Clooney...ALOT!....but he would have been 53 by the end of the F4 run on the big screen......hmmmmmmmm......I need to go watch "Oceans 11"

albafan said:
I love George Clooney...ALOT!....but he would have been 53 by the end of the F4 run on the big screen......hmmmmmmmm......I need to go watch "Oceans 11"
you mean Ocean's 12? I'm sure gonna see it.Like you I knew there was nooooooooo frigginway he was about to do F4. People were just associating him with Mr. Fantastic because of his hair being white on the sides. Had they snagged him before Batman, and if he were younger, he would have revolutionized comic book movies with this role,. I loved him in "From Dusk 'till Dawn"! Clooney also LOOKS like a superhero!

ioan will do a superb job, i have faith. a good thing to note is that he comes off o nthe screen as a leader but more importantly as a man who isn't afraid to admit he;s wrong every now and then despite how smart it he is and is able to keep the team together, he has that look about him.. damn why does this have to come out i nthe summer:rolleyes:

Reed Richards in about another 40 years:
SuperHeroNursingHome.jpg

flight26 said:
Well......I did think he was pretty cool in Titanic..............
that's a step in the right direction! :p i am looking forward to King Arthur coming out on dvd i wanted to see it

First of all , thank you for starting this thread "flight26"!!

If you need to feel better, I suggest getting yourself over to www.ioanonline.com where you'll find a lot of others who suffer from your malady! If you want to "look upon that face" there is a huge Gallery of pics on which to gaze...some of which have already been posted here by "albafan" and myself.

As far as worrying about his strong Welsh accent (as showcased in the video link in the above filmography post) and whether or not he can pull off an "American" one....don't worry. Just check out this video link from ioanonline and I think you'll see that he does a great job. especially after listening to both links!.....

http://www.ioanonline.com/video/CCep2-c.zip

Other than the recent "King Arthur" film, most of his work has been in the UK. It's too bad that a lot of these projects are hard to come by to watch, as most are on PAL version of VHS tapes, if available. His best work, in my opinion, have been in these roles.....Solomon in "Solomon and Gaenor" which was nominated for an academy award for "Best Foreign Film".....and Lt. John Feeley in "Warriors".

Of course playing "Horatio Hornblower" was what finally made people sit up and take notice. It paved his way for getting his foot in the door and his subsequent gamble on moving to America and trying to make it in Hollywood. There's talk of continuing to make additional episodes, now that the estate of the author of these books, on which the series is based, has been settled.

From the statements of people who have worked with him, both cast and crew, to the lucky few fans from our own Ioan board who have had the pleasure of personally meeting him, they say he's the most down to earth, friendly, humble human being they've met. I just know he'll be the "Dr. Reed Richards you're all looking for in this film!

(BTW......just thought I'd mention that there are two "d's" in the spelling of his last name.)

flight26 said:
you mean Ocean's 12? I'm sure gonna see it.Like you I knew there was nooooooooo frigginway he was about to do F4. People were just associating him with Mr. Fantastic because of his hair being white on the sides. Had they snagged him before Batman, and if he were younger, he would have revolutionized comic book movies with this role,. I loved him in "From Dusk 'till Dawn"! Clooney also LOOKS like a superhero!
Nooooooooooooo I meant "Oceans 11"...."Oceans 12" is the sequel.... and I didn't like "From Dusk 'till Dawn"...:cool:

i think Ioan is perfect as Reed, he has that handsome dorkiness look down :) i could see where they thought Clooney would be a good Reed though because of his age, look, name etc but i think Ioan was the better choice because Clooney would be really old by the end of the third movie. Ioan just fits in with the rest of the cast perfectly IMO

The real player vid doesnt work for me:( still the word of the ladies on the board is good enough for me:)

Ioanfan could probably do a much better Bio on Ioan than I can...so I'll leave this one to the expert...LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"