Civil War Iron Man's armour for Civil War

The Infernal

Mky Mk
Reaction score
Since Iron Man is likely going to be fighting Cap I was thinking that he could possibly be wearing an armour that signifies his more antagonistic role. What do others think, Black & Gold or Superior?

639px-Anthony_Stark_%28Earth-616%29_from_Iron_Man_Fatal_Frontier_Infinite_Comic_Vol_1_10_005.jpg

277px-Anthony_Stark_%28Earth-616%29_by_%C3%87inar_001.png

Or maybe you would like to see something else entirely.

tony_stark_with_iron_man_hall_of_armor_backdrop_by_twelveinchfigures-d7d2105.jpg

Superior... maybe.
My theory is that he will end up getting vibranium and try to make armour with it. (In the same way I think Ultron will do it.)
For that purpose I think him changing his design isn't crazy. I just don't know why he would change the colors, unless it were a different metal which was not so easily colored. (I guess vibranium must be able to be colored like caps shield...)

However, I DON'T think that the reason for changing his armour will be because he is playing an antagonist. I HIGHLY doubt that Marvel is going to try to make him look like a bad guy, even though he is fighting against cap. I don't think that there would be a reason to do so either, as he doesn't think hes the bad guy, does he? I think it would have to fit in with the storyline, so changing to something because he made a new suit of vibranium: possibly. Changing something because he is the bad guy: no.

Personally I don't think a new armour needs to be excused by a plot point. It could just be taken as read that it's the newest mark. That said if they did have a good plot point to go along with it I wouldn't complain.

Most bad guys don't see themselves that way. It's unknown at this point whether Iron Man will end up looking as bad as he did in the comic book version, but I think that it should come close. It's going to be a different spin on the story from the comics, but I still think it would be braver not to pull punches and really sell Iron Man as the antagonist. He may not be a villain, but he is going up against Cap in his own film. I think a change of armour to signify that change in dynamic would fit just nicely.

Personally I love both looks. Though I think I'd give it to Superior since it's the most drastic change from previous movie armours.

Last edited:
Do Bleeding Edge.

Did Tony forget to finish painting that one?

I wouldn't mind that cyborg ninja look that toy has if they did another Iron Man anime.

Imagine if Cap is about to fight Iron Man then the Hulkbuster armor flies in and Steve ****'s his pants. XD

But seriously I'd kinda like them to go back to basics like in IM1.

Iron Man will be scared of technology after AOU, and if need be, he'll revert back to the low tech Mk1 if he needs to fight Cap. He needs a primitive suit he knows that can't be hacked by some advanced AI.

latest

I'd be all on board if Tony in that armor was fighting Captain America who went back to his First Avenger Suit. But those are both unlikely. Tony won't learn a lesson or at least not the lesson he should learn, he'll still have his armors and try instead of using AI(Artificial Intelligence) to use HI(Human Intelligence), i.e. his own genius. But SHIELD will probably play him on that and make him think the Registration Act was his "genius" idea in someway. Thus, making him the villain and he won't even know it because he'll think it's right.

But that's WAYYY of the topic of armor. Point being he'll still have armor. He'll just be afraid of AI. He'll probably shut down Vision/Jarvis too for that reason, because he'll be afraid Vision will turn into another Ultron. But again, way besides the point. Iron Man will probably have a armor like the one in the actual CW comics.

Other armour ideas:
iron-man-balloon-suit.jpg

Baymax? Is that you?
hot-toys-iron-man-3-mark-xxxvi-peacemaker-armor-01.jpg

Mark 36 (Peacemaker) Apparently used to control riots. I just like the color change. Another similar one:
70479-1.jpg

Used for mining... mining things like vibranium. So he can upgrade his armor to vibranium of course!
Slick+IRON+MAN+Armor+Designs+by+Mars

Iron Man design by "Mars". Seems more antagonist-like, being darker and having a different color. It also has a orange/yellow core. Possibly could have been from learning of Ultrons core being red, otherwise it just symbolises he is not the good guy of the story, but he also isn't the bad guy.

I like that last one. Very Bruce Wayne...I mea dark.

Both the Superior and Black and Gold armours are hideous, so I seriously hope they don't use them. I'd like the Mark 33 (Silver Centurion) with gold instead of silver, and perhaps a round arc reactor.

Some plot details would indicate the problem with Ultron starts after Tony hooks him up to Loki's scepter, which causes him to become self aware. It's still Tony's fault but Ultron is something that is given life through outside means, rather than any AI Tony himself created. So I don't think he'll go so far as to destroy JARVIS and the Vision or stop using his armor.

For one, I can't see the merchandisers getting excited by a movie where he just wears his junky, bulky suit that's already been used. So far everyone movie he's been in save for Incredible Hulk has given him at least one new suit of armor, so I expect Civil War to continue the trend.

I think they are gonna wanna keep Iron Man's armor in the red and gold, because all those iconic images of Cap and Tony fighting in the Civil War comic feature the traditional Iron Man color scheme for the armor. They will probably want to stay close to that because of the power those iconic images have. No real point in having a movie about Iron Man vs. Captain America if Iron Man looks radically different.

Last edited:
No real point in having a movie about Iron Man vs. Captain America if Iron Man looks radically different.

I get the argument for Iron Man sporting classic colours, but it's quite the stretch to call the film pointless if he's not sporting the red & gold.

I get the argument for Iron Man sporting classic colours, but it's quite the stretch to call the film pointless if he's not sporting the red & gold.

Maybe not "pointless" but you want the focus to be on Iron Man vs. Captain America. That is the biggest draw of this movie. And taking Iron Man's armor in a radically different direction or color scheme would kind of undermine the iconic image.

I honestly don't think most people would be bothered if Iron Man wasn't in red & gold. Neither direction is radically different. The black & gold is arguably more a colour change, which we've seen a few times already with Tony's armours. The Superior one is also pretty in keeping with modern Iron Man armours, but sleeker like the bleeding edge look which seems to be making its way into Age of Ultron.

If he were wearing something like the Hulkbuster or Peacekeeper armours or even the original Iron Man armour then I would see that as too radical a change to wear for the entire film, but those suits are still in keeping with your average Iron Man suit imo.

I think the Stark has the Mk45 from AoU for this movie and that's it. Normally we should expect IM to get a new suit every movie but this being a Cap movie, I think he just gets 1.

I think the Stark has the Mk45 from AoU for this movie and that's it. Normally we should expect IM to get a new suit every movie but this being a Cap movie, I think he just gets 1.
That would be fine with me - the MK45 is sick as hell.

I liked Tony's new armour for AoU, but it doesn't feel like that much of a change from his other armour in the film. They don't really make much of a fanfare about it and it looks pretty much like your standard Iron Man armour so far, just a bit smoother in places. I still hope we get a significant change in armour for Civil War. Maybe Tony invents a 'Cap Buster'? lol

Posted this in the other thread, there is a Mk46 for Civil War, it's essentially a modified Mk45, still classic red and gold folks. Inverted or upside down trapezoid cutout for the chest RT (45 has a hexagon cutout), more gold particularly in the upper body than the 45, and they've gone back to the smooth faceplate from the Mk3-7. I personally think it looks a little better than the Mk45 but not a huge fan of the trapezoid cutout, makes the chest look like it's grinning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"