• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Civil War Did Iron Man 3 lay the groundwork for Civil War unintentionally?

speno94

Civilian
Reaction score
Put your thoughts aside for Iron Man 3 for a moment and I think that Iron Man 3 either intentionally or unintentionally layed the groundwork for Civil War. What I mean about this is regarding Iron Patriot in IM3.

A lot of people think that The Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron will start the Civil War, but when you think about Iron Man 3, Rhodey is the liaison between Stark Industries and the U.S. Air Force and Feige said of Rhodes and the Patriot armor, "The notion in the movie is that a red, white and blue suit is a bold statement, and it's meant to be.

In the film, the president asks Rhodey to take up the moniker "Iron Patriot," and don the red, white, and blue suit, in order to be the government's "American hero" in response to the events in The Avengers.

Even at one point, Tony asks Rhodey about the Mandarin and Rhodes replies "This isn't superhero business, it's American business" which sounds a lot like the Registration Act and who the superhero's answer too.

Do you think they will touch upon this in Cap 3 and will Rhodey be involved considering he used to work for the government/Air Force?

Sure. And Iron Patriot will solidly be behind Team Stark.

Plus Tony has PTSD because he's just guy in a suit...it all adds up.

I've always said that IM3 is like wine. It needs time to ferment.

The movie was controversial, but it's going to be more appreciated in the future, taking in consideration the whole MCU context.

Yeah, I think Marvel was strongly considering going in this direction before Iron Man 3 and that movie will show the progression of Tony Stark necessary for Civil War.

I could easily see the opposite happening. Where IM 3's reputation decreases over time as it's flaws become more apparent/get scrutinized more. Kind of like the early Batman films.

I could easily see the opposite happening. Where IM 3's reputation decreases over time as it's flaws become more apparent/get scrutinized more. Kind of like the early Batman films.

Good lord, Iron Man 3 was very entertaining, it raised the stakes, put Stark in tight places, had a great lesson of whether the suit made the man, or the reverse was true, and had an awesomely hilarious plot twist that no one saw coming. The complaints are ridiculous. Fans that overscrutinize are the worst in my my opinion, as a fan I'll watch these movies but your obsession crosses over into the unhealthy and you just want to nitpick for flaws you're kinda crossing a line and it'd probably serve you better to take a few steps back, breathe and maybe get a life?

Oh, you don't like that he and countless others didn't like Iron Man 3? Boo freaking hoo!

IM3 laid the groundwork for Age of Ultron, which may or may not be laying the groundwork for Civil War.

Oh, you don't like that he and countless others didn't like Iron Man 3? Boo freaking hoo!

I'm not the one crying about it. I'm enjoying it for what it is, a damn good follow up to the Avengers and improvement over Iron Man 2 in every way. There's nothing to complain about, in my opinion

I don't think there's anything unintentional about it. Feige's been talking about CW as a potential plotline for a couple years now, so they've clearly had this direction for the characters in mind for a while.

I will not comment about IM3 in the Cap3 thread.

Civil War was set up as soon as SHIELD started keeping tabs on super-powered individuals. Now that SHIELD is not what it once was, governments are looking to find ways of controlling the uncontrollable. Naturally, some super-powered individuals would not like being watched and controlled which is why SHIELD did these things covertly where as the US government in IM2 was shown to be very aggressive in securing Tony's technology.

Iron Man 3 is my 3rd favorite Marvel Studios movie. That movie is smart, crazy, irreverent, and has style.

1. Winter Soldier
2. Avengers
3. Iron man 3
4. Guardians
5. Iron Man

Last edited:
I think it laid the groundwork for more than just that. When Killian was showing off Extremis to Pepper, he pointed out an empty spot in the human brain and theorized that human DNA was destined to be upgraded. Sounds like a pretty clear hint toward the Inhumans.

I think it laid the groundwork for more than just that. When Killian was showing off Extremis to Pepper, he pointed out an empty spot in the human brain and theorized that human DNA was destined to be upgraded. Sounds like a pretty clear hint toward the Inhumans.

Or genetically mutated :cwink: humans in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IAmBatman125
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"