Is an IQ test a valid test of intelligence

Well, an IQ is a measure of intelligence, but if you mean if it measures how "smart" you are, no it's not.

Intelligence is ability to grasp concepts and problem solving.
People mistakenly think intelligence and "smartness" are the same thing, which is why they try to make other definitions for intelligence. But what I said (I'm pretty sure) is what it actually means.

Leto Atrides said:
Well, an IQ is a measure of intelligence, but if you mean if it measures how "smart" you are, no it's not.

People mistakenly think intelligence and "smartness" are the same thing, which is why they try to make other definitions for intelligence. But what I said (I'm pretty sure) is what it actually means.
But even that is suspect. One man could grasp the complexities of any government, but a math problem would fly higher over his head than a Boeing. He may have expert and brilliant abilities in problem solving but when it comes to math he is stuck. Just like I noted I am a word smith, I know how to take a position even I don't agree with and present a case for it....however I will be taking math for the 3rd time (though I am a wiz at lower level college math for some reason:confused: ). Anyways enough anecdotal evidence. Most people as Socrates (my little example from before) pointed out either knew nothing or knew one (few) thing really really well (and consequently thought they knew everything else, or were qualified to speak on it). So that means people can show great deals of intelligence and thought in one field while neglecting another. Meaning they either cultivate or naturally have an inability in said field neglected. So on one side there can be a nuture component to intelligence, but there can also be a nature component. Just as certain athletes never can think of a time when they were truly bad at their sport, most people with high IQs cannot think of a time when they were stupid.

Agreed. I get high scores on IQ tests but I stick my goods in stupid things.

137 over 15 years ago?

IQ tests are not a clear enough determination of intelligence.

I know quite a few who score very low,.. but are faster, clearer thinkers than the brainiacs who clear 140 on those tests.

IMHO - it really measures how well you assimilate your society and what OTHERS determine to be a ruler on intelligence.

V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"