Is each Watchmen character going to have some trademark "superhero" moves?

toddly6666

Civilian
Reaction score
I know that Dr. Manhattan is the only real powerful superhero in the film and that they are all a bunch of washed-up retired superheros, but do you think that the director will still show off at least one skill of each Watchmen character? If anything, I can see the director showing the heroes at their full "superhero" potential in flashback scenes.

I'm assuming Rorschach and Nite Owl are Batman-like. But i'm curious how they distinguish the two of them. I see Rorschach as sticking with stealth, and Nite Owl more counting on technology. I'm assuming The Comedian is like the Punisher.

What about Silk Spectre and Veidt? I'm assuming Silk Spectre is just a plain old good fighter. Anyone think that she's gonna be modeled after a boxer or after a martial artist? And Veidt moves like an acrobat/martial artist?

I'm also wondering if they will have some Moloch flashback action scene. What is he? Just an evil David Blaine/evil David Copperfield?

I would just like to add that the fight choreography is going to be done by the guys who worked on Spiderman 3, 300, Die Hard 4, Bourne Supremacy, Mr. Mrs. Smith, Daredevil, Underworld 2, Serenity, Fight Club

I know that Dr. Manhattan is the only real powerful superhero in the film and that they are all a bunch of washed-up retired superheros, but do you think that the director will still show off at least one skill of each Watchmen character? If anything, I can see the director showing the heroes at their full "superhero" potential in flashback scenes.

I'm assuming Rorschach and Nite Owl are Batman-like. But i'm curious how they distinguish the two of them. I see Rorschach as sticking with stealth, and Nite Owl more counting on technology. I'm assuming The Comedian is like the Punisher.

What about Silk Spectre and Veidt? I'm assuming Silk Spectre is just a plain old good fighter. Anyone think that she's gonna be modeled after a boxer or after a martial artist? And Veidt moves like an acrobat/martial artist?

I'm also wondering if they will have some Moloch flashback action scene. What is he? Just an evil David Blaine/evil David Copperfield?

I would just like to add that the fight choreography is going to be done by the guys who worked on Spiderman 3, 300, Die Hard 4, Bourne Supremacy, Mr. Mrs. Smith, Daredevil, Underworld 2, Serenity, Fight Club

"Stop putting sh** on out bodies, Moloch!"

That would just take away from the main point of Watchmen. Watchmen isn't supposed to be like other comic books. It avoids making the heroes seem like comic book heroes and more like real people. Giving them "trademark moves" takes away from that.

This isn't Street Fighter. And I really can't recall a superhero movie where anyone had "trademark moves".

not trademark moves a la video game, but just something that gives a hint of their different styles of the superheroes they once were during their glory years. If not, then what are they going to be - all the same just dressed in costumes?

not trademark moves a la video game, but just something that gives a hint of their different styles of the superheroes they once were during their glory years. If not, then what are they going to be - all the same just dressed in costumes?

How is that even remotely important to the story?

I get what your trying to go for, Todd, but Its just not necessary for the audience to wonder about any of that. The superheroes' past can be filled out with the audience's imagination. There costumes are enough of a hint that their careers pretty much mirrored other comic book superheroes. If Watchmen were about superheroes and their adventures then what their trademark moves are would be relevant, but Watchmen is a commentary on society during the mid-80's. Its not your typical superhero tale.

That would just take away from the main point of Watchmen. Watchmen isn't supposed to be like other comic books. It avoids making the heroes seem like comic book heroes and more like real people. Giving them "trademark moves" takes away from that.

That simply isn't true at all. Having trademark moves is completely in character for Veidt. In fact he produces a whole line of Ozymandias action figures and takes every oppurtunity to market his public life.

Yeah, but Veidt commercialized his Ozymandias persona AFTER he no longer needed it. He became Ozymandias because he was a young idealist that believed he could make a real change as a superhero, but he soon realized that was not the case when the Comedian gave him a hint at the defunct Crimebusters meeting. Sure, he'd give Ozymandias a trademark superhero move to help market his action figures or the proposed animated show, but as Ozymandias, I don't think it would've been a no. 1 priority.

Yeah, but Veidt commercialized his Ozymandias persona AFTER he no longer needed it.

Well, at the very meeting you bring up Ozymandias is already known as "The worlds smartest man." Clearly he was marketing his persona even at this point even if he hadn't officially started cashing in on it.

I don't think it would've been a no. 1 priority.

I don't know, the public's perception of him always seems to be front in center of his mind to me.

Well, at the very meeting you bring up Ozymandias is already known as "The worlds smartest man." Clearly he was marketing his persona even at this point even if he hadn't officially started cashing in on it.
We never really find out if the label is self-imposed though. What I get from Adrian is that he began to market his Ozymandias persona solely as a means for amassing funds for his world-saving plans.

I don't know, the public's perception of him always seems to be front in center of his mind to me.
Yes, that certainly is an aspect of his character, but I think its not so much the public (after all, he did away with millions of them without shedding a single tear), but his fellow peers.

We never really find out if the label is self-imposed though. What I get from Adrian is that he began to market his Ozymandias persona solely as a means for amassing funds for his world-saving plans.

Yes, that certainly is an aspect of his character, but I think its not so much the public (after all, he did away with millions of them without shedding a single tear), but his fellow peers.

Wanting the public to have a certain perception and caring about their lives are two different things.

I don't know why this tiny detail would take anything away from the story??? I'm just thinking of something a la The Incredibles - that movie starts off with flashbacks of their glory days, showing off everyone's skills.

How can anyone be naive to think that the director would leave that detail out? This is still a superhero movie we are talking about. Regardless of its dark tone and not focused on typical superpowers-type movie, audiences will want to know, "so, what did each character do besides dressing up in costumes?"

I mean, it seems Watchmen fans are content with seeing flashback scenes of Dr. Manhattan doing his "trademark moves" of materializing a criminal's head into nothingness or causing Godzilla destruction in Vietnam. So what will the other characters be doing?

The last time I saw a superhero movie with superheroes not showing at least a hint of their "skills" were two pretty bad ones - MYSTERY MEN and THE SPECIALS.

What in the horse is a "trademark move"? Actually, don't answer that. The answer to the question posed in the subject line of this thread, incidentally, is "fawk no".

Sad Lieutenant,
For example:
1. Rorschach will shoot a fireball like Ryo
2. Dr. Manhattan will do a Fatality like Subzero
3. Silk Spektre should have rapid kicks a la Chiung Lee
4. Night Owl will have a ball crusher a la Johnny cage

night owl's trademark move should just be crashing his owl ship into villains.

Sad Lieutenant,
For example:

Yeah, I know what you mean. And there's nothing comparable to that in the original comic... And would make for a lousy element in the film... And will never happen.

Sad Lieutenant,
For example:

Wha-ha? :huh: Joking, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics