Is Iceman a real Superhero?

I

iceman10169

I am writing a paper in college, and we have discussed what a superhero really is. They have shown courage in the face of adversity, and they have given themselves to helping a greater cause, without promoting self-interest. They dedicate their life to doing good, and put themselves in harm's way, to save others

Now I ask you...
Is Iceman a real superhero?
Just because he has powers doesn't automatically put him into this category. In the X-Men series, he rarely if at all puts himself in danger's way to save the public. He is not sacrificing himself, because he can not be beat. Thats what makes him super. There are two parts to the word Superhero. Super, being defined as having power beyond that is normal, and HERO being as a described previously.

Any thoughts or aspects/approaches I can take on saying that
he has showed immense courage in the face of danger?​

iceman10169 said:
Now I ask you...
Just because he has powers doesn't automatically put him into this category. In the X-Men series, he rarely if at all puts himself in danger's way to save the public. He is not sacrificing himself, because he can not be beat. Thats what makes him super. There are two parts to the word Superhero. Super, being defined as having power beyond that is normal, and HERO being as a described previously.

It all depends on "when". There are older comic issues where he's shown extrordinary courage, but if you compare it to how he's written now, I would say no, he's not much of a hero.

Even in the Ultimate X-Men, he's proven himself to be a hero on more than one occasion.

He's always shown the potential and has gone through with it numerous times over, but as mentioned above it comes down to the writer and how they're handling him, which at the moment is sadly not going well.

In X-Factor, he technically was a superhero on at least 1 occasion that I can recall.

Technically, Iceman 'saved' Angel (one of his best friends) when Warren first became Death. Bobby devised a plan in order to return Warren to his normal self, and it worked.

He was certainly a superhero in his first days with the original X-men. Many of the stories involved saving ordinary people from supervillains.

You have to understand that for every superhero, there pretty much will be a supervillain or situation in which they can be hurt. That's like saying Superman isn't a hero when he's stopping a robbery.

iceman10169 said:
I am writing a paper in college, and we have discussed what a superhero really is. They have shown courage in the face of adversity, and they have given themselves to helping a greater cause, without promoting self-interest. They dedicate their life to doing good, and put themselves in harm's way, to save others

Now I ask you...

The strict constraints you've placed on the definition of a superhero make it difficult to classify many of the super-powered characters present in the comics. No, Iceman doesn't always display bravado and courage in the face of danger, but let's face it, being a superhero wasn't really a choice, he was forced into it by his good nature.

What makes a superhero is not only the extraordinary powers beyond what any human in real life is capable of, but that they use their powers for good, for the right causes. Iceman, like all other heroes including Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and more, fights for all that is good. They fight for honesty, freedom, and justice.

By that definition, Iceman, is a superhero. All those who fight for honesty, freedom, and justice without the powers are just heroes ;)

Halcohol said:
The strict constraints you've placed on the definition of a superhero make it difficult to classify many of the super-powered characters present in the comics. No, Iceman doesn't always display bravado and courage in the face of danger, but let's face it, being a superhero wasn't really a choice, he was forced into it by his good nature.

What makes a superhero is not only the extraordinary powers beyond what any human in real life is capable of, but that they use their powers for good, for the right causes. Iceman, like all other heroes including Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and more, fights for all that is good. They fight for honesty, freedom, and justice.

By that definition, Iceman, is a superhero. All those who fight for honesty, freedom, and justice without the powers is just a hero ;)

Well said, and I agree whole-heartedly.... :up:

Read X-Men issues 65 -69.

Iceman displays extraordinary courage and leadership skills in those issues. He is a Hero in every sense of the word.

I prefer to think of Iceman as in a constant state of development, we all know he has potential, and has the best intentions, one day I think Iceman will be the hero that we have glimpsed at.

GreatWhiteWhale said:
Read X-Men issues 65 -69.

Iceman displays extraordinary courage and leadership skills in those issues. He is a Hero in every sense of the word.

I prefer to think of Iceman as in a constant state of development, we all know he has potential, and has the best intentions, one day I think Iceman will be the hero that we have glimpsed at.

It's just a matter of time before the right writer comes along, and does him justice.

What does this have to do with the movie? I must have missed that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"