Is it worth it???

torkibe

Civilian
Reaction score
The store by me is selling the two variants of Civil War for $25 and $75 already... I hate that BS! Do you guys think they're worth picking up?

Stick with the McNiven covers.The Ms Marvel #1 variants were fetching for that price and now they're down to like 50 cents.Don't buy into the hype of variants!

Well... There's a big difference between Ms. Marvel and Civil War. If it really changes the landscape of the Marvel Universe, they could go up.

I dont know. I think they will go up. Most variants that are a sketch cover do increase in price. Also since the $75 one is a 1:75 ratio its hard to see the price decrease. That is a short printing.

If you are buying it to make money than like anything else it is a risk but if you are buying it just for collecting than I think that if you can afford it than go for it.

Just leave it to the mega-collectors (unless, of course, you're one of them)! It's easy to get swept away by the idea of comics like that "seeming" to be worth that much money, but just when I might get an idea like that, my close friends (who aren't into comics) pull me back into the REAL world and I deside i don't need any comics THAT expensive!

No it not worth it. This has been over hyped for months and its going to disappoint.

My store was selling the 1:75 for 250$. Their reason was it's at least 75x the cover price.

****ing idiots.

I mean... I can afford it, but I'm not rich! I would probably be pissed if it didn't go up.

screw that! buy a bunch of other things instead! i think CW will only be marginally better than HoM collectible wise.

Yeah spend the 75 on copies of the thing and give them to people.

No, it obviously isn't worth it. Doubtful it will go up in price and you should never have to pay more than cover price for a variant anyway.

sometimes that is a sign of "shaudy" business when a store will try to create their own hype for something and jack up the price b/f the book even get hot! sounds like a load of crap to me, pass on it.

Red X said:
No it not worth it. This has been over hyped for months and its going to disappoint.

Have you read #1?

It doesn't matter if the story is good or not, buying the varient for anything other than cover price is just giving the shop money because you are stupid. It's a scam.

ampersand said:
It doesn't matter if the story is good or not, buying the varient for anything other than cover price is just giving the shop money because you are stupid. It's a scam.

agreed, that's what i was saying in a roundabout way!

Harlekin said:
No, it obviously isn't worth it. Doubtful it will go up in price and you should never have to pay more than cover price for a variant anyway.
Its not just that it is a variant cover. There is a limited production run. The $75 issue was printed on a ratio of 1:75. So there are many less issues with this cover than the others. For someone who likes to own something very limited this is what they want. This is where the value comes in. Most older comics value is because they are so limited. Not many people preserved there comics in the 30's-60's so that is a big reason for value. There just are not that many.

ampersand said:
It is not a scam. Selling a normal printed book at a higher than cover price on the day it comes out is a scam. These issues are out there for several reasons. One is for the comic shops to make some money off the issues. They only get these if they order a certain amount of the other cover. There is no content that someone would miss if they bought the normal print instead of the variant aside form the cover. So you dont lose anyting by not buying it. If you like the cover and want it then you can buy it (of course if you can afford it). As long as they dont put exclusive content in these higher priced, lower printed issues then no one should have a problem with it unless you are just a bitter person and have nothing better to complain about.

lceman said:
Its not just that it is a variant cover. There is a limited production run. The $75 issue was printed on a ratio of 1:75. So there are many less issues with this cover than the others. For someone who likes to own something very limited this is what they want. This is where the value comes in. Most older comics value is because they are so limited. Not many people preserved there comics in the 30's-60's so that is a big reason for value. There just are not that many.

It is not a scam. Selling a normal printed book at a higher than cover price on the day it comes out is a scam. These issues are out there for several reasons. One is for the comic shops to make some money off the issues. They only get these if they order a certain amount of the other cover. There is no content that someone would miss if they bought the normal print instead of the variant aside form the cover. So you dont lose anyting by not buying it. If you like the cover and want it then you can buy it (of course if you can afford it). As long as they dont put exclusive content in these higher priced, lower printed issues then no one should have a problem with it unless you are just a bitter person and have nothing better to complain about.

And you are why the scam works.

ampersand said:
And you are why the scam works.

Explain to me how this is a scam.

Do you think that it is a scam when bowen produces a statue and then comes out with another one with a different costume or something like that on a more limited run and charges more for it? Because that is basically the same idea.

The comic companies want to move as many books as possible, so they create dealer incentives and varients so that dealers buy more books. Now the dealer payed that much more to get the incentive and varient issues and they need to make that money back, plus make a profit. So the dealer sells the incentive and varient issues for rediculously high prices because he/she knows that collectors will shell out the cash in order to complete their collections.

You are fooling yourself if you think your comics are going to be valuable some day.

lceman said:
Yeah, I know all that stuff. I'm familiar with the collectors mentality. It's just time for people to start understanding that comics that are coming out these days rarely go up in price, especially when having already bought them for an inflated price. Sure, I can make money of my Astonishing X-Men #4 Collosus Variant, but that's because I bought it for cover-price, not 20 bucks.

I wouldn't call it scam, but because you're not actually getting scammed, since there is an alternative (the normal one), which is cheaper. Anyone willing to shell out $75 for that Civil War #1 variant is going into it with their eyes open. You didn't get scammed, you got stupid.

Do you really think that a shop that would normally order 20 copies of Civil War would now order 75 copies so they can get one issue that they can sell at a higher price. That does not make any sense business wise. If an owner of a LCS is doing this then that it on them. They would see a decrease in profit unless they were selling the variant at an even higher rate then the online options.

I am not saying that these issues will be thousands of dollars but there are examples of books that come out with a limited cover and those issues are more valuable than the normal print.

lceman said:
Do you really think that a shop that would normally order 20 copies of Civil War would now order 75 copies so they can get one issue that they can sell at a higher price. That does not make any sense business wise. If an owner of a LCS is doing this then that it on them. They would see a decrease in profit unless they were selling the variant at an even higher rate then the online options.

I am not saying that these issues will be thousands of dollars but there are examples of books that come out with a limited cover and those issues are more valuable than the normal print.
Heck, like I said, I'm not dogging on the LCS at all. They have to sell the variant at a higher price in order to get back the money they didn't get because the extra normal copies they had to buy didn't sell. Doesn't mean the customer should be (IMO) stupid enough to lay down 75 bucks for one comic, one of which the chances of its price increasing are low.

Harlekin said:
Heck, like I said, I'm not dogging on the LCS at all. They have to sell the variant at a higher price in order to get back the money they didn't get because the extra normal copies they had to buy didn't sell. Doesn't mean the customer should be (IMO) stupid enough to lay down 75 bucks for one comic, one of which the chances of its price increasing are low.

I am asking the question of is the comic shop really ordering more to get these issues. My LCS do not even get them because it would not be cost effecient for them to increase there order. I am sure that each LCS owner looks over the numbers to see if it is worth there time. Like I said before there is nothing affecting the normal customer who will just go in and buy the cover price issue so why the hostility towards the person who decides that they like the book and want to spend the extra money on it. The only person that it would hurt would be the LCS owner if they made a bad business decision.

lceman said:
I am asking the question of is the comic shop really ordering more to get these issues. My LCS do not even get them because it would not be cost effecient for them to increase there order. I am sure that each LCS owner looks over the numbers to see if it is worth there time. Like I said before there is nothing affecting the normal customer who will just go in and buy the cover price issue so why the hostility towards the person who decides that they like the book and want to spend the extra money on it. The only person that it would hurt would be the LCS owner if they made a bad business decision.
Well, then, to answer your question. Yes, they will, if they are certain they will be able to make a profit on it. And I'm not even really bashing the customer, since it's still their choice, but if I get the question: Is it worth it? I'm going to answer that truthfully to my own opinion. No, it isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"