Is Johnny Depp Officially The Biggest Star In The World?

Neither Public Enemies or Sweeney Todd made over $100 million in the US.

He's a draw, but only when he's in expensive commercial fare with huge marketing budgets.

That's true for everybody. Will Smith couldn't draw in The Legend of Bagger Vance, Ali or Seven Pounds either.

There is no actor out there anymore that people will pay to see just because they are in that movie. Good marketing is by far the most effective way to get people into the theatres.

Depp isn't as consistent as Big Willie in terms of BO earnings.

I never said Depp was consistant. Big Willie rules in that area. However, Will Smith hasn't had a movie that grossed $300 million domestically in 14 years. And he has never starred in one that grossed $1 billion worldwide.

Let's put it this way. Will Smith is what Eddie Murphy used to be in the `80s. We all agree that Harrison Ford was the biggest star of that decade, right? Well, guess what, his only hits were the Star Wars and Indiana Jones trilogies. Blade Runner flopped. Witness was more of a critical hit. The Mosquito Coast flopped. Frantic flopped. Working Girl was a hit because of Melanie Griffith. Eddie Murphy had 48 HRS, Trading Places, Beverly Hills Cop I & II, The Golden Child, and Coming to America. Plus, his two stand-up movies: Delirious and Raw. All hits, yet only Beverly Hills Cop was as big as Ford's two franchises.

So, you see, there's consistant actors and those who leave a mark.

The guy that decides to cast Depp and Will in the same movie is gonna be taking baths in Moet.

Will Smith will never work with Johnny Depp. He's used to being the star. Smith and Depp in the same movie is like Bruce Willis and Mel Gibson co-starring a buddy cop flick.

Maooz, have you taken over from Lord as the Necromancer? :o

Damn, I didn't recognize you with that username.

Nah, I was looking for an old thread, and I just happened to find this.

The question we all want to know is, who is the biggest movie star in the world today?

Yeah I got it changed a few days ago.. MovieMaster just grew too silly for me :oldrazz:

In regards to your question, I think Hollywood is becoming a place where movie stars don't exist anymore. A guy like Alex Pettyfer is more famous than the "movie stars" like Chris Hemsworth, Christian Bale etc. Tumblr fangirls and social popularity has changed the way fame works

The most powerful actor right now is apparently Hugh Jackman, and i don't remember him in a film that broke 1 billion, the 2nd most powerful is Robert Downey Junior, and i think we can all see why.

Alex Pettyfer is not more famous. More people have seen Christian Bale's face and know his name than they do Pettyfer's. That's how I gauge fame at least

The most powerful actor right now is apparently Hugh Jackman, and i don't remember him in a film that broke 1 billion, the 2nd most powerful is Robert Downey Junior, and i think we can all see why.

Most powerful?

Not those two.

Nobody knows who the hell Alex Petyfer is and it's ridiculous to even suggest that a nobody like him is more famous than the actors mentioned because of social media. He's a Z-lister at best.

Even in the old days an A-lister didn't guarantee a hit. The movie still has to look interesting. A-listers and moviestars still exist and they still can't open unappealing looking films.

I love Chris Hemsworth and his career is chugging along nicely but lets give him a few more years before we call him an A-lister.

Who f*** is Alex Petyfer? He's certainly not half as famous as Chris Hermsworth or Christian Bale

Jackman is not big. he has only one movie character. Wolverine. thats it. nothing else. everyone knows him but they never watched a movie b because of his name. the only reason why he is on lists is because of this big wolverine paycheck for the next 5 years.its been 12 years. dooh

a real movie star has mega hits. but not with one franchise. a real movie star can make any movie big.

Unfortunatelly no such thing exists, they may increase interest but they can't save a film if it's bad or uninteresting, no matter how many films he does or how much money he brings, right now he's technically the most powerful actor around.

ok. he is rich and evryone knows him. he is no even close to a movie star.

^^What do you mean by powerful?

Last edited:
I don't agree that a movie star has to have a ton of mega hits. A movie can be a hit without having to gross 250mil domestically, it all depends on the budget. It's the nature of the business now that all actors need franchises. And actors have up and down periods in their careers, that's just the nature of things.

Some seem to think A-Lister and moviestar means every film has to gross over 500mil internationally and that the actor has to have a perfect record of no flops but I don't think that was ever what a moviestar was. And that's especially not going to happen in this day and age.

I don't agree with that guy though at all.

Jackman is not even close to the most powerful.

My post wasn't an agreement with him about Jackman. It's laughable to say that Jackman is most powerful. :funny:

Oh, yeah I know that.

RDJ, I guess has power, but a guy who has a lot of power is Tom Cruise.

My post wasn't an agreement with him about Jackman. It's laughable to say that Jackman is most powerful. :funny:

Say that to the guy who wrote that article, i'm sure Forbe knows more about what is happening in Hollywood than any of us. Lol

I was just using Alex Pettyfer as an example because he came to mind. What I meant is the idea of a "movie star" is incredibly different to how most would define it nowadays; take Oblivion for example. It was an ok movie with the big names of Cruise and Freeman but only performed modestly, making under $100m domestically and $286,168,57 worldwide.

Most people in the know realize that the nature of movie stardom has changed. That change still doesn't include Pettyfer or anyone like him. Pettyfer is a lousy example for obvious reasons. I don't even know why you would even be thinking about him when we are talking about moviestars.

Alex is one of those guys you might of seen in one or two films , but don't remember where you saw him.

I was just using Alex Pettyfer as an example because he came to mind. What I meant is the idea of a "movie star" is incredibly different to how most would define it nowadays; take Oblivion for example. It was an ok movie with the big names of Cruise and Freeman but only performed modestly, making under $100m domestically and $286,168,57 worldwide.

Pettyfer wasn't a good example though lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"