Is Nickelodeon in the Same Predicament as the Disney Channel

TMC1982

Sidekick
Reaction score
A while back, there was a discussion that I read concerning Disney not having enough "neutral" or "boy centric" programs. Either the shows that are currently around have a female lead, have male leads but are decidedly, more female appealing (i.e. Jonas), or have been shunted off to the smaller Disney XD. Now in fairness to Nick, I don't watch that particular channel now as when say, I was a in middle to high school or younger. Therefore, I wouldn't consider myself to be the best judge of Nick's recent content.

However, when I do catch Nickelodeon from time to time, I've come to the conclusion that it shares a good share of problems that I personally have with the Disney Channel. I mean for starters, whereas any live-action show that isn't produced by It's a Laugh Productions is either non-existent or underpromoted, the same thing can be said with Dan Schneider over on Nick. Like Disney, post of the current shows on Nick have female lead (I don't mean to sound sexist, but I prefer some "diversity"), i.e. iCarly, True Jackson, VP, and Victorious. Yes, there's also Big Time Rush, but I consider that show to be in the same category as Jonas over at Disney. More "neutral" shows on Nick like The Troop seems to not get as much publicity or attention as the others.

Like Disney, Nickelodeon in possibly the past decade (or close to that) have fallen into the trap of running the same shows to death day-by-day. I mean, it seems like approximately 60-70% of Nick's daily schedule recently consist of iCarly, SpongBob, and Fairly OddParents. It's really no different than towards the end of the 1990s-early 2000s when off the heels of the success of the first Rugrats movie, just about every other show on Nick had to be produced by Klasky-Csupo.

My biggest peeve when I'm working are the New Nick/Disney. I do Personal Care Assistant with autisitic kids, and happen to see these very dumb shows.

Yes, all the male leads in these shows are either very feminien or homosexual-esque. But, that isn't the issue. The 1st issue is these shows are too dumb and chaotic. Unlike shows; Pete & Pete, Alex Mack and Clarissa Explains It All/Even Stevens and Lizzy McGuire. Those old shows did have dumb or outrageous scenarios but were grounded in real-life at their best. Also, they had rough arcs and stories per episode. The characters had consequences and so forth when this (post-2000) Disney/Nick are just ridiculous. They character never have consequences and every show seems so fake. The shows and their characters don't have any morals or anything now it seems...

The second issue is the lack of family. These new shows have parents, but they might as well not. The parents these days are either dumber than their kids or just plain ******ed. What happened to the heart and soul that was in shows like Boy Meets World, Family Matters and Step By Step. Those shows, no matter what the comedy or stupid things the characters did they always had to answer to mom and dad. Plus, the family side of things grounded these "outrageous" shows in reality.*

*Same things has happened with 90's kids movies and these crappy 2000 kids's movies. hell, Homeward Bound had "talking" dogs but was leaps and bounds more professionally done than these post-2000 kids films. but, this is for another day...

It also seems that everyshow on Disney/Nick now are also muscicians, lol. What is up with having a music division and a tv show division seperatly? They seem to both be making the next Jonas/Miley, puke...

I think it just comes down to the networks and the society children grow up in now. Sadly, everything can be dumbed down for the sake of saving money, etc. and no one cares. How can these kids eat up shows like iCarly when there used to be smart truthful comedy like Boy Meets World?

Not only is it live action but animation too. Nothing coming out is even close to the greatness that is Dexter's Lab, Doug, Rugrats, and Bobby's World. Every show now is so dumb and ADD, like Chowder and most of Nickelodeon these days.

Bah... I could go on forever but it is just making me angry.

I agree with a lot of comments. My main pet peeves on watching these shows with kids is that there is no "moral" to the story and no consequences for their actions. I think the worst example of that is The Suite Life, which has become even worse now that it is the Suite Life on Deck. There are no grown ups on the show beyond Mr. Mosby who is basically a comic relief, with no authority beyond saying things like "Where is John Wilkes Booth when you need him?", when one of the kids was doing a Lincoln impression.

I do have a guilty pleasure with Phineas and Ferb and actually enjoy this show, as well as the sub-plot of Perry the Platypus and Dr. Doofenshmirtz.

Last edited:
iCarly seems to show consequences for the actions of their characters.

iCarly is the only one of those shows that makes me NOT want to gouge my eyes out with a fork.

VicTORIous is one of those shows that makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a fork.

Fixed...:yay:

But I have to say I do like VIctoria Justice...

i feel bad for today's youth for having to watch the crap that's on Disney and Nick now

90s Disney and Nick was awesome!

90's was the golden era of Nick. Briefly in the early 00's as well. But the 90's Nick was awesome.

i feel bad for today's youth for having to watch the crap that's on Disney and Nick now

90s Disney and Nick was awesome!

For Disney on DisneyXD Aaron Stone is(was) a decent show......that reminds me the series finale is on today

On Nick...The Troop is decent but doesn't get much advertising etc like Icarly, Victorious and the others.........

I don't like that both channels are pushing the celebrity teen lifestyle-ish thing...Disney has Hannah Montana, Jonas, Sonny With A Chance...Nick has Big Time Rush, iCarly (to a degree), Victorious (to a degree).........

Whats up with Disney XD and Nicktoons Channel(s)...lately, they seem to be dumping grounds for programming IMO now

Nicks last great live-action show was Ned's Declassified.

Disneys new show "Good Luck Charlie" is actually pretty decent and is more about the whole family as opposed to just the kids

Disneys new show "Good Luck Charlie" is actually pretty decent and is more about the whole family as opposed to just the kids

...I've caught a couple eps...its pretty good...

I've noticed these shows have gotten sooo dirty! I was watching Good Luck Charlie and the mom said: "I've given birth four times, I pee when I sneeze."
Of course we find it hillarious but it definately must have lots of curious 5 year olds asking questions.

For some reason I always miss this show when it's on . When I do catch it it's pretty much over.

I've noticed these shows have gotten sooo dirty! I was watching Good Luck Charlie and the mom said: "I've given birth four times, I pee when I sneeze."
Of course we find it hillarious but it definately must have lots of curious 5 year olds asking questions.

The mom is one of the best characters on that show

there is a scene between her and the dad where she questions having another kid and how are they going to do it

its a question a lot of parents ask themselves 3 or 4 kids in

For Disney on DisneyXD Aaron Stone is(was) a decent show......that reminds me the series finale is on today

Kinda weird they didn't call it a finale...just a 1-hour special event...anyways it was pretty good......still need to catch up on some of season 1.........LOL.........i'll try not to spoil it...

Nicks last great live-action show was Ned's Declassified.

Ned's Declassified, Drake & Josh, and Unfabulous were all awesome......too bad I started watching towards the end of there runs...

Same here. And it sucked that they basically stopped playing them immediately after their finales. Like they never existed.

A while back, there was a discussion that I read concerning Disney not having enough "neutral" or "boy centric" programs. Either the shows that are currently around have a female lead, have male leads but are decidedly, more female appealing (i.e. Jonas), or have been shunted off to the smaller Disney XD. Now in fairness to Nick, I don't watch that particular channel now as when say, I was a in middle to high school or younger. Therefore, I wouldn't consider myself to be the best judge of Nick's recent content.

However, when I do catch Nickelodeon from time to time, I've come to the conclusion that it shares a good share of problems that I personally have with the Disney Channel. I mean for starters, whereas any live-action show that isn't produced by It's a Laugh Productions is either non-existent or underpromoted, the same thing can be said with Dan Schneider over on Nick. Like Disney, post of the current shows on Nick have female lead (I don't mean to sound sexist, but I prefer some "diversity"), i.e. iCarly, True Jackson, VP, and Victorious. Yes, there's also Big Time Rush, but I consider that show to be in the same category as Jonas over at Disney. More "neutral" shows on Nick like The Troop seems to not get as much publicity or attention as the others.

Like Disney, Nickelodeon in possibly the past decade (or close to that) have fallen into the trap of running the same shows to death day-by-day. I mean, it seems like approximately 60-70% of Nick's daily schedule recently consist of iCarly, SpongBob, and Fairly OddParents. It's really no different than towards the end of the 1990s-early 2000s when off the heels of the success of the first Rugrats movie, just about every other show on Nick had to be produced by Klasky-Csupo.

That article you posted mentions Phil of the Future...kinda silly and goofy...but I liked it...:csad:

The mom is one of the best characters on that show

there is a scene between her and the dad where she questions having another kid and how are they going to do it

its a question a lot of parents ask themselves 3 or 4 kids in
Is the mom a MILF like the mom on Wizards of Waverly Place ?

I think Nickelodeon's biggest problems are A) A general lack of quality programming, and B) Over reliance on two or three cash cows. I know it sounds like nostalgic ramblings, but I think it's a serious issue. Nickelodeon's programming has been much better in the past. Not everything they did was magic unicorn poop, but they seem to be striving for quantity over quality these days. They have a bunch of shows that are fairly formulaic and involve pretty colors that they can play whenever they need to, and a few really popular shows that they do constant marathons with, and use the other shows to fill airtime with something else. They really just need better shows and need to stop beating the popular shows they have to death. It's really that simple. The best thing they've had in a long time is Avatar. They need more quality stuff like that.

Another problem Nickelodeon has is its reliance on Disney. Whatever success the latter has will inevitably be duplicated and in an infeerior manner. I, for one think that Big Time Rush sucks ass. Whenever their video is played, I can't help but notice how tone deaf they are. The Nick I remember was very offbeat, VERY. It offer programming that was slightly out of the ordinary and that's where their success lied. Sadly they have lost sight of that.

I don't like Big Time Rush or Victorious. I love ICarly though, it's the only live action show on Nick that I watch regularly.

Disney XD is awful, their shows that are supposed to be aimed at boys are very lackluster and they never promote them. I like Wizards of Waverly Place, Suite Life on Deck, and Good Luck Charlie is pretty good.

But Nick is not having a big problem ratings wise, they actually have more viewers than Disney channel does.

I don't like Big Time Rush or Victorious. I love ICarly though, it's the only live action show on Nick that I watch regularly.

Disney XD is awful, their shows that are supposed to be aimed at boys are very lackluster and they never promote them. I like Wizards of Waverly Place, Suite Life on Deck, and Good Luck Charlie is pretty good.

But Nick is not having a big problem ratings wise, they actually have more viewers than Disney channel does.

If they weren't a "boy band" i think BTR show is okay, since for the most part, the show doesn't focus too heavily on the music (IMO) and more on the guys goofy goings-ons...............musics terrible and nothing we haven't heard a million time before, leave that to Disney and the JoBros............Victorious again is dreadful...how is that showing doing ratings wise?

XD's comedy shows are terrible...I can't stand Zeke & Luther (are boys supposed to like this because of the light potty humor and the fact they skateboard), and that I'm In The Band show............I guess the same could go for Aaron Stone, which I did like (except for the boys are gamers, comic readers, girl chasers, which isn't entirely false...lol, but I digress...)........

.........I like Wizards and Good Luck Charlie............

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"