Is Ridley Scott really that good?

Rocketman

Superhero
Reaction score
I'm not trying to start a ruckus, honestly. I just thought I'd pose this question, because I personally think he's extremely overrated.

First, I present to you his filmography:

Prometheus (2012) (filming)
Robin Hood (2010)
Body of Lies (2008)
American Gangster (2007)
A Good Year (2006)
Kingdom of Heaven (2005)
Matchstick Men (2003)
Black Hawk Down (2001)
Hannibal (2001)
Gladiator (2000)
G.I. Jane (1997)
White Squall (1996)
1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992)
Thelma & Louise (1991)
Black Rain (1989)
Someone to Watch Over Me (1987)
Legend (1985)
Blade Runner (1982)
Alien (1979)

The Duellists (1977)

Now, I think his greatest achievements in directing are what I have in bold: Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, and Black Hawk Down. Unquestionably, these are masterpieces, and most directors don't have the confidence of saying they've made one great movie, let alone four.

However, he's made 19 films altogether. 4:19 isn't a good ratio. Granted, the other 15 movies aren't terrible, but I think we can all agree that G.I. Jane, Body of Lies, Robin Hood, Black Rain, American Gangster, and A Good Year aren't exactly great, either.

Here's my basic opinion on Ridley Scott: Aside from 4 of his movies, every movie I've ever seen of his just gives me an indifferent, "Eh" feeling. They're not amazing, they're not terrible, they're just.... there. My immediate reaction when one of his movies ends is "Okay. Whatever. What's for dinner tonight, honey?"

- He doesn't seem to put any passion into his directing at all.

- Most of the movies he agrees to direct seem like he's just behind the camera, going through the motions, collecting a paycheck.

- He seems like he has no balls. He doesn't seem to want to make anything ambitious or bold, or audacious. Alien and Blade Runner are the exceptions... but those were back-to-back-films, and they were 30 years ago. He seems like a total Company Man.

- His directing is completely mechanical and robotic. There's no STYLE. There hasn't been any style with him in three decades. There's nothing interesting going on in his stories, and the scripts he agrees to direct are incredibly bland and the complete opposite of fascinating.

Am I crazy? Or is Ridley Scott just mediocre 80% of the time?

How am I crazy when the evidence has been presented? Robin Hood, Body of Lies, American Gangster, A Good Year, Kingdom of Heaven, Matchstick Men, Hannibal, G.I. Jane, White Squall, 1492: Conquest of Paradise, Thelma & Louise, Black Rain. Are you telling me that these movies are great? This list is pure mediocrity.

Alien - masterpiece
Blade Runner - masterpiece
Gladiator - awesome
Black Hawk Down - awesome
Kingdom of Heaven: DC - great
American Gangster - great
Body of Lies - good
Matchstick Men - good

He's batting almost 500. Not bad.

You think everything's overrated.

s
How am I crazy when the evidence has been presented? Robin Hood, Body of Lies, American Gangster, A Good Year, Kingdom of Heaven, Matchstick Men, Hannibal, G.I. Jane, White Squall, 1492: Conquest of Paradise, Thelma & Louise, Black Rain. Are you telling me that these movies are great? This list is pure mediocrity.

You asked if you were crazy, so I answered. :o

How is American Gangster, Matchstick Men, Black Rain, Legend, and Thelma and Louise Mediocre? They were good movies. Plus the ones you picked out that's quite a resume. Better than most.

But it doesn't matter. The four you picked out and the ones you considered mediocre are your opinion. So, how can some dude on a message board's opinion be evidence? Are you Leonard Maltin?

Last edited:
He's overrated

You're overrated.

Rildey Scott is my favourite director. But I'll be the first to admit he's had plenty of stinkers. Then again so has Spielberg. I guarantee you Nolan wont be holding a perfect record by 2020 either.

You're overrated.

Rildey Scott is my favourite director. But I'll be the first to admit he's had plenty of stinkers. Then again so has Spielberg. I guarantee you Nolan wont be holding a perfect record by 2020 either.

Nolan is one of the only directors I can think of who has NEVER made a bad movie. He's made 7 films, and he's great 100% of the time.

Ridley Scott hasn't been able to say that just based on his 2000s career alone, and it goes before that too.

he may be hit or miss....but, when when he hits, its goddamn brilliant! blade runner is easily one of the all time greatest movies ever.

Nolan is one of the only directors I can think of who has NEVER made a bad movie. He's made 7 films, and he's great 100% of the time.

Ridley Scott hasn't been able to say that just based on his 2000s career alone, and it goes before that too.

In your opinion.

I don't want to quote numerous people but some of you are dead on in regards to Ridley being a great director.

Prometheus (2012) (filming)
Robin Hood (2010) - Mediocre
Body of Lies (2008) - Okay
American Gangster (2007) - Good
A Good Year (2006) - Mediocre
Kingdom of Heaven (2005) - Masterpiece (Directors Cut)
Matchstick Men (2003) - Good
Black Hawk Down (2001) - Great
Hannibal (2001) - Mediocre
Gladiator (2000) - Great
G.I. Jane (1997) - Crap
White Squall (1996) - Never seen
1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992) - Never seen
Thelma & Louise (1991) - Good
Black Rain (1989) - Never Seen
Someone to Watch Over Me (1987) - Never seen
Legend (1985) - Good
Blade Runner (1982) - Masterpiece
Alien (1979) - Masterpiece
The Duellists (1977)- Fantastic

Ridley doesn't always hit it out of the ball park, but when he does, he defines cinema

thats not only an opinion, but one that a lot of people would take issue with. and nolan hasnt made any movie that can even begin to compare to something like blade runner or alien. but most importantly, what the hell does nolan have to do with any of this?!

thats not only an opinion, but one that a lot of people would take issue with. and nolan hasnt made any movie that can even begin to compare to something like blade runner or alien. but most importantly, what the hell does nolan have to do with any of this?!

Good question. I never brought him into this first. :cwink:

And aside from 4 out of 19 movies being exceptional, I could care less if I'm outnumbered. 4 out of 19 movies isn't impressive.

4 out of 19 is only your opinion

Im sure there is someone else out there who think Kubrick only made 2 decent films out of his entire filmography

I dig Legend, Gladiator, and Blade Runner. I don't care for his other stuff at all, therefor in general and imo, his track record isn't good.

Yeah, but they made sure to point out that it's THEIR OPINION! Even SAAD knows that it's just an opinion. A s**ty opinion, but an opinion none the less. (IMHO) :o :p

Not really. Much harder than you'd think.

he may be hit or miss....but, when when he hits, its goddamn brilliant! blade runner is easily one of the all time greatest movies ever.

Exactly how I feel about him. Blade Runner and Alien are in my top five.

Nolan is my favorite director, but he will make a bad film one day, I just hope it's not too soon.

I will say this about Scott, Robin Hood may not have been all that but compare it to what his contemporaries Spielberg, Cameron and Lucas put out and there's a huge difference. He's not a technology ****e, like Cambo and Lucas and compare what people are saying about his return to the Alien universe to what everyone said about Spielberg bringing back Indiana Jones, you can see Spielberg had no passion for it on the DVD extras and hollywood insiders (Actual ones, not dark_b) are busting a nut over Prometheus because the dude wants to make 2001: A Space Odessy for this generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"