Is Ridley Scott really that good?

He is that talanted because he directed Alien, Blade Runner and Gladiator. But either he directs the wrong stories, or he has lost his passion or something. Because he is really wasting his talent. Its not that he makes bad movies all the time, he just doesnt make movies in that level. Another example of this: Francis Ford Coppola.

Prometheus (2012) (filming)
Robin Hood (2010)
Body of Lies (2008)
American Gangster (2007)
A Good Year (2006)
Kingdom of Heaven (2005)
Matchstick Men (2003)
Black Hawk Down (2001)
Hannibal (2001)
Gladiator (2000)
G.I. Jane (1997)
White Squall (1996)
1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992)
Thelma & Louise (1991)
Black Rain (1989)
Someone to Watch Over Me (1987)
Legend (1985)
Blade Runner (1982)
Alien (1979)

The Duellists (1977)

The bolded are great movies. Alien, Black Hawk Dawn and Blade Runner are bonafide masterpieces.

Nolan is one of the only directors I can think of who has NEVER made a bad movie. He's made 7 films, and he's great 100% of the time.

Ridley Scott hasn't been able to say that just based on his 2000s career alone, and it goes before that too.

Chris Nolan has never made a movie on the level of Alien or Blade Runner. His best movies are The Prestige and Memento.

The Dark Knight is mediocre. There, I said it. :o

And really, you'r comparing a guy who has made nearly 20 films to a guy who hasn't even got into double figures. Obviously the guy who has made more movies is gonna have some bad ones.

Compare Scott's best 7 movies to Nolan's 7 movies... Scott wins.

If I would have to recommend a movie to a guy who I knew nothing about I'd say Ridley Scott.
Most of his movies are a blast. He's a great action director without it getting brainless.

and hollywood insiders (Actual ones, not dark_b) are busting a nut over Prometheus because the dude wants to make 2001: A Space Odessy for this generation.
lets hope so. lets hope so. :dry:

so which version is supposed to be a masterpiece? the first version that was a prequel or this new version ?

Chris Nolan has never made a movie on the level of Alien or Blade Runner. His best movies are The Prestige and Memento.

The Dark Knight is mediocre. There, I said it. :o
this is not how this works. if TDK would be a bomb like Blade Runner then it would become a masterpiece to every fan.

you see.............fans like movies that bombed more then the ones who made money. that way they feel special because they have a movie for themselfs. when a movie is liked by the general public then they are not ''special'' anymore. then they are in the same group as the general public. and they hate it. :awesome:

TDK made way to much money to be good for the internet community. a movie needs to underperform or bomb ..........thats how the internet fanboy rules are :cwink:

He made Kingdom of Heaven and Blade Runner, so yeah, he is.

But I don't expect greatness out of him, pretty much ever. His track record does suck- I like very few of his movies. Gladiator, for example, is a film that I remember watching and loving when I was younger, but watching it years later(and after the likes of Rome) it aged terribly and is full of long stretches of crap. Do I anticipate one of his films? No, but I always make a point to see them eventually, because he is capable of greatness.

this is not how this works. if TDK would be a bomb like Blade Runner then it would become a masterpiece to every fan.

you see.............fans like movies that bombed more then the ones who made money. that way they feel special because they have a movie for themselfs. when a movie is liked by the general public then they are not ''special'' anymore. then they are in the same group as the general public. and they hate it. :awesome:

TDK made way to much money to be good for the internet community. a movie needs to underperform or bomb ..........thats how the internet fanboy rules are :cwink:

Huh? Whether TDK made 100 million WW or 10 billion WW wouldn't change my opinion on it.

He is that talanted because he directed Alien, Blade Runner and Gladiator. But either he directs the wrong stories, or he has lost his passion or something. Because he is really wasting his talent. Its not that he makes bad movies all the time, he just doesnt make movies in that level. Another example of this: Francis Ford Coppola.

Wow, you know this is absolutely true. I never thought of this before.

Alien - masterpiece
Blade Runner - masterpiece
Gladiator - awesome
Black Hawk Down - awesome
Kingdom of Heaven: DC - great
American Gangster - great
Body of Lies - good
Matchstick Men - good

He's batting almost 500. Not bad.

I need to watch Body of Lies again. I haven't seen it since theaters. But I did like it. I need to see Matchstick Men as well. But these are his best films.

Matchstick Men is awesome. It has both Nic Cage AND Sam Rockwell. Which automatically makes it awesome.

Are we talking about on these boards? He might be overrated here (but even that would be a tough case to make), but in the general public, a lot of people probably wouldn't even know his name unless they were movie buffs. He's not like Spielberg, Kubrick, Coppola, or Burton, whose names are pretty much recognized by everyone. In that regard, I'd say he's underrated, considering some of the great movies that he's made.

Also :down to the Scott vs. Nolan debate. You CAN like both without having to rip one or the other to pieces. They're both great directors. Also, Nolan himself is a Ridley Scott fan and made the crew of Batman Begins watch Blade Runner to let them know what kind of world he wanted to create with that film. If it had not been for Ridley Scott's influence, we might not even have Christopher Nolan as we know him today. Show some respect!

Last edited:
Prometheus (2012) (filming)
Robin Hood (2010) - Mediocre
Body of Lies (2008) - Okay
American Gangster (2007) - Good
A Good Year (2006) - Mediocre
Kingdom of Heaven (2005) - Masterpiece (Directors Cut)
Matchstick Men (2003) - Good
Black Hawk Down (2001) - Great
Hannibal (2001) - Mediocre
Gladiator (2000) - Great
G.I. Jane (1997) - Crap
White Squall (1996) - Never seen
1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992) - Never seen
Thelma & Louise (1991) - Good
Black Rain (1989) - Never Seen
Someone to Watch Over Me (1987) - Never seen
Legend (1985) - Good
Blade Runner (1982) - Masterpiece
Alien (1979) - Masterpiece
The Duellists (1977)- Fantastic

Ridley doesn't always hit it out of the ball park, but when he does, he defines cinema
Body of Lies was great! And Gladiator was not "Great" it was "FREAKING AMAZING!!!"

Are we talking about on these boards? He might be overrated here (but even that would be a tough case to make), but in the general public, a lot of people probably wouldn't even know his name unless they were movie buffs. He's not like Spielberg, Kubrick, Coppola, or Burton, whose names are pretty much recognized by everyone. In that regard, I'd say he's underrated, considering some of the great movies that he's made.

Also :down to the Scott vs. Nolan debate. You CAN like both without having to rip one or the other to pieces. They're both great directors. Also, Nolan himself is a Ridley Scott fan and made the crew of Batman Begins watch Blade Runner to let them know what kind of world he wanted to create with that film. If it had not been for Ridley Scott's influence, we might not even have Christopher Nolan as we know him today. Show some respect!

Honestly, he's right.

I didn't know he made half of those movies. Not really a guy who follows Directors anyway. But thanks for the list. Think I'll go and check out some of the ones I haven't seen. :up:

Ridley Scott is awesome his brother Tony Scott is a slightly better version of Micheal Bay.
Ridley's daughter Jordan Scotts film Cracks was good.

Ridley Scott is about recieve a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame and has a Knighthood he is pretty well known for a director.

Ridley and Tony Scott produce alot of TV shows as well under their Scott Free production company

Last edited:
Ah, yes. That's the thing where the guy is running, and then he turns into a bird during those usually annoying things that precede a movie, cuz we just gotta know everybody who was involved in the making. :o Almost as awesome as the Pegasus thing though.

Ridley Scott is awesome his brother Tony Scott is a slightly better version of Micheal Bay.
Ridley's daughter Jordan Scotts film Cracks was good.

Ridley Scott is about recieve a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame and has a Knighthood he is pretty well known for a director.

Ridley and Tony Scott produce alot of TV shows as well under their Scott Free production company

I'd say Tony Scott is leaps and bounds above Michael Bay. Sure he has Top Gun under his belt... but he's also got True Romance and Crimson Tide.

Ridley Scott is a great director. I actually liked "White Squall". It's not his best film but it's leagues better than his worst (GI Jane and Hannibal).

On a visual level (like blade runner) Legend is amazing.
The fact it has Tom Cruise dressed like a gimp and not much else going on doesn't bother me that much.

Also duel is a pretty epic movie. Terrific ending.

Last edited:
I'd say Tony Scott is leaps and bounds above Michael Bay. Sure he has Top Gun under his belt... but he's also got True Romance and Crimson Tide.
I actully like Tony Scott movies he made the best Beverley Hills Cop movie and Man On Fire was great but I know alot of people consider him and his movies alot like Micheal Bay and his films.

Tony Scotts movies have better acting (thanks to guys like Denzel) and an actual plot/storyline along with the explosions, action and pretty women so I'll give him that.

I actully like Tony Scott movies he made the best Beverley Hills Cop movie and Man On Fire was great but I know alot of people consider him and his movies alot like Micheal Bay and his films.

Tony Scotts movies have better acting (thanks to guys like Denzel) and an actual plot/storyline along with the explosions, action and pretty women so I'll give him that.

Ah damn, completely forgot about Man on Fire. Awesome movie. And yea, Beverly Hills Cop 2 is the best one.

Him and Bay's films are pretty similar, but like you say, his have a bit more quality to them. Although I have to admit, The Rock is great.

Is he over-rated? I think so. Does that mean he can't still make good films? No. He's 50/50 to me. But then nowadays so is Spielberg. As is Nolan, Singer, etc. They can hit or they can miss. No big deal, really.

I prefer his commercial work over most of his movies, minus two or three. Props for Blade Runner and Alien, but I don't like much of anything outside of those two. Thelma and Louise is one of the worst movies I've seen.

When he's good, Ridley can create movie magic that will last forever. And people forget that he is now 73. Of course you're not gonna be as innovative as you were before...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"