Is the ALL STAR SUPERMAN series a direct prequel to the SUPERMAN PRIME story arch???

TheBlueWolf

Civilian
Reaction score
Without stating spoilers...

The first three issues make direct references to SUPERMAN PRIME. So is this 12-Issue series a direct prequel to that story arch???

It's not in continuity. It's just, Morrison wrote both, so he's refrencing it.

That's a very interesting idea. I'd have to read the last three issues and my One million comics again to really give you an answer.

The Question said:
It's not in continuity. It's just, Morrison wrote both, so he's refrencing it.

You know, I thought that at first, when I read Superman All Star issue 2...but after reading issue 3, I've come to the conclusion that these aren't just fun quick homages, to reference Morrison's Superman Prime work...but rather, more DIRECT references, as if this is a true prequel to that story arch. There were minor references with the whole Superman/Sun thing in issue one, and some more homage type references in issue 2...but Issue 3, acts as if Superman Prime IS the future of this series's continuity...and makes me wonder if maybe Lois will end up dying in this series...or something. I don't know...but I really dig this series. I love for my Superman to be ALL POWERFUL and he really is here. Heck, I'd go out on a limb here, and say that this Superman is more powerful than Pre-Crisis Superman. Though I have yet to see him juggle planets around, or move continents around with giant chains. lol

It can't be a direct prequel. It's not in the same continuity.

Sorry, my stupidity is showing, but who is Superman Prime?

Superman after spending thousands of years in the sun. He's all gold and all powerful. He also has the last green lantern ring. He was from JLA One million.

The Question said:
It can't be a direct prequel. It's not in the same continuity.

Why can't it be the same continuity? Remembering from what I read on One Million, it seems like it could be. I don't know, I'm thinking it is the same continuity...akin to Star Trek TOS and Star Trek: Next Generation. Or Superman I&II to Superman Returns...

Also...Superman Prime is like the ultimate evolved form of Superman...after spending 1000s of years in the sun (another slight reference/homage in All Star issue 1, about being so powerful after being in the sun). Superman Prime had a Green Lantern ring too. I'd like to think that it was Hal Jordan's ring...but I don't think they acknowledged that. Superman Prime = Someone that can easily take down Batman with unlimited prep time. lol That's how freakin bad he is! The only thing I didn't like about him, was his GOLD everything...his costume should have had more colors to it than just GOLD.

On a side note...I'm wondering if this will play into the Infinity Crisis somehow...as a consequence of that...or if this will just be totally seperate from that. And also, is Birthright still the official origin of Superman with the Crisis???

TheBlueWolf said:
Why can't it be the same continuity? Remembering from what I read on One Million, it seems like it could be. I don't know, I'm thinking it is the same continuity...akin to Star Trek TOS and Star Trek: Next Generation. Or Superman I&II to Superman Returns...

It can't be in the same continuity. JLA: One Million is a possible future of the main DC universe. All Star Superman is not in continuity with the rest of the DCU.

TheBlueWolf said:
On a side note...with the new Infinity Crisis and all. Is ALL STAR SUPERMAN the new origin take on things (even though it was extremely brief). Or is Birthright stillt he official origin?

Like I said, All Star Superman is not in continuity. If it were, I would be most unhappy. Hell, I'm not that happy with Birthright either,

I thought that Birthright was taken out of continuity shortly after it came out. I'm probably mistaken though.

ToddIsDead said:
I thought that Birthright was taken out of continuity shortly after it came out. I'm probably mistaken though.

I think some bits are still in continuity like the design of Krypton.

Wait, there is an actual SUPERMAN PRIME?

When I made that topic on the anime forum, I called the Real Life Superman from Superman: Secret Identity Superman Prime. Because Prime, as in Earth Prime, the real Earth. And since we refer the Superboy of that earth as SUPERBOY PRIME, I did the same of the real Superman.

I didn't know the one ftrom DC One Million was SUPERMAN PRIME.

so, would Secret Identity have happened if the Crisis on Infinite Earths never happened? I wish that some director would pitch this book as a movie, because it would be so cool to see a new take on Superman, unlike what Singer is doing.

Have you read the book? If so, then you would know that world, THIS world, would have nothign to do with the other worlds in the DCU.

nite-owl said:
I think some bits are still in continuity like the design of Krypton.
No the whole book is still in contiuity. It is still Superman's new origin.

Which really causes more problems than it solved. First off, there was nothing wrong with Man of Steel. Second, Birthright has completely ****ed with continuity.

Tony_Montana said:
No the whole book is still in contiuity. It is still Superman's new origin.

Really? wasn't the part were Lois crashs her car into the river from the man of steel origin in the Superman secret files.

nite-owl said:
Really? wasn't the part were Lois crashs her car into the river from the man of steel origin in the Superman secret files.
No that was Birthright, it was showing how hard Lois was trying to get an interview from Superman.

The Question said:
Which really causes more problems than it solved. First off, there was nothing wrong with Man of Steel. Second, Birthright has completely ****ed with continuity.
Well Superboy Prime is the man behind that as well as the man behind The new Legion series.

Tony_Montana said:
No that was Birthright, it was showing how hard Lois was trying to get an interview from Superman.

Was it?

Tony_Montana said:

No, it was Man of Steel.

The Question said:
No, it was Man of Steel.
Then it is both because what he was talking about from SF is like a follow up to Birthright a mini-follow up but still one none the less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"