Chinatown Prequel Series

James.B

In search of the absurd
Reaction score
Netflix Teams Robert Towne and David Fincher for ‘Chinatown’ Prequel Series Pilot Script

Netflix has closed deals with Robert Towne and David Fincher to work up a pilot script for a prequel to the 1974 classic film Chinatown, sources tell Deadline. Towne won an Oscar for scripting a drama that mixed fact and fiction to tell the story of a private eye hired to expose an adulterer who instead uncovers far more unsavory things.

Fincher will be executive producer along with Towne and Josh Donen. The idea behind the prequel series would be to focus on a young Jake Gittes (played in the film by Jack Nicholson) as he plies his business in a town where the wealthy and corruption involves areas like land, oil and gangs. The hope is that Fincher might direct the pilot, but that is not part of the deal which at this point covers a pilot script. Roman Polanski directed the original film and the late Robert Evans produced it.

Was about to post this.

Look I love Fincher and I'll eat my words...but why?

I mean in CHinatown wasn't Gittes an average PI who ends up getting way in over his head. Like he had never done a case that big before? I can't see a show with not big cases being that interesting. But I am willing to be proven wrong

I'm gone over this in the best way possible.

If this were anybody else my eyes would glaze over. But Towne WITH Fincher? This is the sole exception. Chinatown is one of my favorite films, so with these names, it deserves to be given a chance. If anyone can make this idea work it's them.

****, I actually really like The Two Jake's and think it's pretty damn good! If it's anything on that level I'll be happy.

This is conceivable anyway. Gittes is a private eye so he's had other cases. As long as this isn't about how Gittes became Gittes and just going to be an old fashioned noir show with quality cases or something or other then fine by me.

Last edited:
Will this show be any good? Who nose....

I'll just see myself out then.

Ordinarily, yeah, I wouldn't be for this. But the combination of Fincher and Towne- who won an Oscar for Chinatown's screenplay- does make for quite the combination. So they have my interest.

I’d rather the third film Towne had written Gittes Vs Gittes. But I guess Nicholson is all but retired now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"