Is there a trick to enjoy reading books?

just pick up a book and go....and Watsons suggestion is good, if its something you like, try and find books in that area

I'm an artist and musician, and I love to read. I don't have that "need for visuals" you claim. It thinks its possible that you are right that the innate love of reading must start at an early age. That is not to say you can't learn to love reading now!

If I find a good enough book (and I have the time) I can finish a 600 or more page book in two days no problem. With that in mind, I tend to always having to run to the library to pick up more.

I do have a suggestion for you:

The author is James Patterson. He's got a series of books based on a character, Alex Cross. The novels are usualy about this detective Cross racing to stop a killer or Terrorist. They are easy to read and the speed and tension is done well - making you want to read more of it. But there's also alot of his personal life, raising his kids, dealing with the death of his wife, his new love being kidnapped and she blaming him for it...lots of different running themes...Also, its written in first person, so you really get to know and relate to Alex Cross. Some of the books are called:

Kiss the Girls
Along Came a Spider (both this and the latter were turned into movies)
Roses Are Red
Violets are Blue
Jack and Jill
London Bridges
Cross
Double Cross

there are more, but these are ones that come to mind.

Some people need absolutely no distractions to get into a book....do you have too much other things going on around you as you read?

I must have complete silence or near silence or I get distracted:o

I love listening to music as I read.

I love reading.
I read in the toilet, commuting, in my bedroom, in class while the class begins, in the living room, while waiting in line

and the secret, well, just read and let your head do the rest

I love reading.
I read in the toilet, commuting, in my bedroom, in class while the class begins, in the living room, while waiting in line

and the secret, well, just read and let your head do the rest

I didn't start reading for fun (well outside of comics) until after college, then started taking the train to work, realized it was boring so started reading, it was a good way to pass the time. Still only read books while on my way to work or during lunch, not at home, unless I'm almost to the end of a book I'm really interested in.

I have never been much of a book reader for fun, and it's something I would like to change. I'm not sure if it is something that has to be picked up at a young age or what, but I just find a hard time picking up a book and reading, to learn something or just for entertainment.

I'm not sure if because I really enjoy drawing, painting, well art overall, if my brain is stuck on needing visuals. Now I'm a huge movie fan, and enjoy the occasional comic book from time to time (more so when I was younger).

So to the readers out there, is there a trick to it, or have I just not found the right kinds of books? I mean you'd think based on the movies, shows and comics I like, I'd enjoy fantasy, sci-fi, or mystery. But so far nothing is clicking.
Anyone have this problem or have any advice?
Yes.

1. Don't force yourself to read. If you don't feel like reading...take your time and pick it up when you feel like doing so
2. Chose a good book.

Thats pretty much it, haha.
But when I read I usually imagine the book (in my mind's eye) as a film...complete with camera shots, score, and all...Im serious :o. I imagine the charecters to be a particular actor and yeah, I guess it helps cause I love movies and I love to read...so maybe you should try that (or maybe everyone tries that...idk)...and I reccomend you go straight to the literature section at your library or bookstore; When I was younger I'd pick up Spider-man and X-men books (but they were TERRIBLE...TERRIBLE!!) so I started reading literature and the stories are SO much better and a lot more fascinating.

And I also listen to music when Im reading...not music with words (to me that is usually a distration) but film scores that fit the book's tone and style...it helps me get into my reading mood a lot faster!

Absolutely. There's been times where I've read a good book and months later was sure that I'd seen the film because I could remember visual elements from scenes in my mind.
Of course, that only works providing the film has done a good enough adaptation :cwink::oldrazz:

I have never been much of a book reader for fun, and it's something I would like to change. I'm not sure if it is something that has to be picked up at a young age or what, but I just find a hard time picking up a book and reading, to learn something or just for entertainment.

I'm not sure if because I really enjoy drawing, painting, well art overall, if my brain is stuck on needing visuals. Now I'm a huge movie fan, and enjoy the occasional comic book from time to time (more so when I was younger).

So to the readers out there, is there a trick to it, or have I just not found the right kinds of books? I mean you'd think based on the movies, shows and comics I like, I'd enjoy fantasy, sci-fi, or mystery. But so far nothing is clicking.
Anyone have this problem or have any advice?

I think the trick is definately finding the right book series and not just one singular book to read. If you find the right series like I have you'll be dying to find out what comes next in book 2 and 3 and so on and before you know it you're a book reader. You might also want to try audio books. That's what I did in the very beginning when I didn't feel it was possible for me to finish a long book. That was 2 months ago. I have since finished nearly 21 books. Previous to this I had only finished 2 during an entire lifetime. I basically hated reading and didn't have the attention span for it. I have fell asleep reading the prologue to an extremely popular book. I still have trouble reading that book. This does happen now and then.

Find a book that interests you: something you already enjoy or something that you've wanted to learn
Have a good light source: make sure the wattage for the bulb is within the recommended tolerance for the lamp you're using, and that it's beneficial for reading (not too bright or too dim)
Get comfortable: recliner or sofa works.
Have something to drink: Just so you don't doze off if you're too comfortable. Plus, you will get thirsty.

Anything else is up to personal preference.

Just don't be too disappointed if read a fictional book, and the movie adaptation doesn't live up to the one that played out in your mind

Start with short stories. These days, I read a lot of Agatha Christie novels. Back when I was in high school (several of my English teachers literally set aside 10 minutes for "silent reading" on Wednesdays), I started off reading a lot of those one-minute mystery books, where each mystery was only 1-2 pages long. Try finding some sort of anthology book with a bunch of short stories.

The key for me--and I mean the real key--is to construct the characters in my head based on the descriptions given in the story. When I'm reading a book, I know what these characters sound like, and learn to predict some of their reactions. It really helps if you're reading a book with a cast list (plays are good for this).

Oh, and make sure if you're reading a genre, it's not a genre you typically like for visual/auditory reasons. If you like watching certain types of movies mostly because of their special effects and/or soundtracks, then it's best to avoid the books. For example, if you liked Star Wars for the lightsaber fights or actors, then you might find yourself disappointed in any Star Wars books you pick up.

Start with short stories. These days, I read a lot of Agatha Christie novels. Back when I was in high school (several of my English teachers literally set aside 10 minutes for "silent reading" on Wednesdays), I started off reading a lot of those one-minute mystery books, where each mystery was only 1-2 pages long. Try finding some sort of anthology book with a bunch of short stories.

The key for me--and I mean the real key--is to construct the characters in my head based on the descriptions given in the story. When I'm reading a book, I know what these characters sound like, and learn to predict some of their reactions. It really helps if you're reading a book with a cast list (plays are good for this).

Oh, and make sure if you're reading a genre, it's not a genre you typically like for visual/auditory reasons. If you like watching certain types of movies mostly because of their special effects and/or soundtracks, then it's best to avoid the books. For example, if you liked Star Wars for the lightsaber fights or actors, then you might find yourself disappointed in any Star Wars books you pick up.

I dunno.. I think either you love to read or you don't. I've read ever since I was probably 3 or 4. When all other forms of entertainment don't really get my attention, I read. On average I read about 1-2 novels a week... maybe more of one of those "moods" strike me.

You can always try to switch up your interests. I use to get annoyed at reading because I liked Fantasy but couldn't get into them anymore. Then I tried to switch it up and read The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. Turns out that I loved it and ended up reading it's sequel, The Wedding. And that got me into reading more again, fantasy included.

However, something that helped me also is book on tape (cd, whatever). Pop a disc in the car and it just plays. It's easier because you don't necessarilly have to focus on it and it just keeps moving. I found that it's easier to get into if it rushes by the first parts and before I know it I'm pulled into my driveway and just sitting there waiting for a good scene to finish.

I started this with JRR Tolkien's Silmarillion, a book I liked as a kid but coudln't get into these days. I couldn't stop listening to it. Then I tried a book I've never read, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Lost World" and I was even more entertained by that. A few books later I feel naked without a book playing in my car. Next up is something by Terry Prachett.

So either one of those options could be good for you if you want to try it. Library's a good place to get the books on tape if you want to give that a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"