It's about time they remade The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Tacit Ronin

Avenger
Reaction score
We have two popular teams of Superheroes. One set firmly on Earth, the other Trekking the vastness of Space, so why not a team of Superheroes in a Steam Punk setting? They need to honor the tone of the comics to set itself apart from the previous travesty. I think the adventurous spirit of the comics, if adapted properly, could be an attractive prospect to those who liked Guardians/Avengers.

the-league-of-extraordinary-gentlemen-book-cover.jpg

Last edited:
In the meanwhile, Penny Dreadful on Showtime is a worthy substitute.

Dude I totally respect your idea about Steampunk superheroes, but
in terms of another LOEG movie, no, just no, no, no, no, no.

Not every comic needs to be adapted into a movie, and this is
one that could be very reasonably given a pass.

LOEG as written by Moore is incredibly dark, violent and contains
a fair chunk of sexual material and what could only be construed
as horror.

Sure, so did 300 and Watchmen, but LOEG is several shades darker than either of those. In comparison I'd say 300 and Watchmen are pretty upbeat and cheerful compared to LOEG.

The Crow was dark and disturbing, but surprisingly tasteful, LOEG is deliberately garish. I think the " team of Superheroes in a Steam Punk"
was precisely what Moore was trying to create a particularly savage parody
of when he wrote the book - kind of Moore's critique on the whole Victorian
era and also the era of "science hero" storytelling.

As the stories progress they become both more esoteric and darker - sorry dude, I just don't think that's going to make for a good movie.

Some stuff that looks good on the page just doesn't translate to the screen,
which is why what we got when LOEG went up there was such a piece of unbearable **** (it made Batman and Robin look like Shakespeare).

As such, I think that Steampunk heroes definitely would work, so stick with that it's a good idea ! But not based on this source material.

Just IMO of course. Cheers.

Remake the film... is that what you mean?

In that case:

Allan Quatermain: Timothy Dalton
Captain Nemo: Irrfan Khan
Invisible Man: Johnny Depp
Mina Harker: Eva Green
Dr Jekyll: Jude Law
Dorian Gray: either Ben Barnes or Kevin Zegers
Tom Sawyer: Logan Lerman (well, actually Liam Aiken but Lerman gets all his possible roles anyway)
M/Moriarty/Phantom: Ralph Fiennes

Directed by Guillermo Del Toro

Last edited:
Can they relaunch with the retroactive "originals" -
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Prospero's Men:

EUpp-JSUMAMf_u1

Prospero - Jeremy Irons
Ariel - Emma Watson
Caliban - Dave Bautista
Orlando -Cate Blanchet
Don Quixote - Javier Bardem
Amber St. Clair - Hayley Atwell
Robert Owemuch - Hugh Jackman
Christian - Douglas Booth

Last edited:
Remake the film... is that you mean?

In that case:

Allan Quatermain: Timothy Dalton
Captain Nemo: Irrfan Khan
Invisible Man: Johnny Depp
Mina Harker: Eva Green
Dr Jekyll: Jude Law
Dorian Gray: either Ben Barnes or Kevin Zegers
Tom Sawyer: Logan Lerman (well, actually Liam Aiken but Lerman gets all his possible roles anyway)
M/Moriarty/Phantom: Ralph Fiennes

Directed by Guillermo Del Toro
I think he means that there should be another attempt at adapting Alan Moore's comic. Which would mean no Dorian Gray or Tom Sawyer, because those two characters weren't in the comic.

I'd be all for another adaption of the comic, can't believe how badly they screwed up the previous attempt. I blame Tom Rothman.

But the Nautilus was beautiful in it. Only good thing about the whole damn movie, which I otherwise can't even remember.

Eh, this would fit better on a premium channel.

HBO/Showtime would be ideal.

Penny Dreadful is fantastic.

I'd be all for another adaption of the comic, can't believe how badly they screwed up the previous attempt. I blame Tom Rothman.

But the Nautilus was beautiful in it. Only good thing about the whole damn movie, which I otherwise can't even remember.
The Nautilus and matching Nemo-Limo were indeed fantastic looking(Lady Penelope FAB1 notwithstanding), I do wish they had worked in more of O'Neill's squid design on the sub though.
It's weird they toned down the animal inspired theme on the sub, then went all out with an elephant Shiva theme on the face of the car?

Last edited:

Norrington, too. Gray and Sawyer's inclusions had bugger all to do with the comic which he clearly showed 0 understanding of

It would be good to see one but a watered down version wouldn't be right.

I loathe the comic with the passion of a thousand burning suns but I enjoyed the film enough to own it. I'd rather see the basic idea used and Moore's take thrown out the window.

I loathe the comic with the passion of a thousand burning suns but I enjoyed the film enough to own it. I'd rather see the basic idea used and Moore's take thrown out the window.

Its nice not to be totally alone. I quite enjoyed the film! I mean, sure, I'm a literature major with a hue crush on Tom Sawyer, Dorian Gray, and Mina Harker and how big a fanbase can that really be but, damnit, as far as strangely specific targets go that movie totally fulfilled.

:huh:

Where's that "BOO THIS MAN!" gif when you need it...

I'd like to have seen the TV series. What happened to it?

You're Stephen Norrington and I claim my $250K

In the meanwhile, Penny Dreadful on Showtime is a worthy substitute.

I wondered if they could have both Penny Dreadful and LoeG exist along side each other with canceling each other out or becoming redundant, but Penny can do the dramatic thoughtful stories, while League can handle the dark comedy action side of the era.

I haven't read the comic yet, but I salute you for not jumping on the hate band wagon. I think the movie gets bashed unfairly. Easily more enjoyable than a movie like the Mummy, that made way more cash.

Penny Dreadful is just so damn good! I can't wait for season two.

Penny Dreadful is just so damn good! I can't wait for season two.

I know this is off topic but isn't Mina in this? How do they treat her? I am so tired of this "in love with Dracula" plot line that floats around and surrounds so many Dracula sequels, spin offs, and adaptions. Usually I am good with adaption material being different but this just seems to disregard the novel with such a force it's like... do you even enjoy the book? Or have you just done this out of spite?

... I have strong feelings about Victorian literature is all.

She's an objective in the show, nothing more, her character barely appears and in a way, her only importancy in the show is to get everyone together.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/l...gentlemen-movie-reboot-remake-fox-1201505537/

Fox Rebooting ‘League of Extraordinary Gentlemen’ with New Movie

20th Century Fox is rebooting its 2003 historical comicbook film “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” with John Davis on board to produce through his Davis Entertainment banner.

Ira Napoliello and Matt Reilly are overseeing the remake, based on Alan Moore and Kevin O’Neill’s graphic novel of the same name, centering on Victorian-era literary characters such as Captain Nemo, the Invisible Man, Tom Sawyer, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde teaming to fight a common enemy.

Some movies are just too good to be remade.

This isn't one of them. Do what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philippe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"