Age of Extinction Its Official Transformers 3 set for 2011!

No surprise...http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...-bay-possible-big-bad-tf3-spoilers-natch.html

I have this sneaky suspicion that Michael Bay will remake his own film (Armageddon) to make this movie version of Unicron work on the screen.

It just seems fitting. Transformers 3 will not take place on Earth. And if so, how the hell do you incorporate Sam, Mikaela, Leo, and Simmons on this adventure if it takes place in space (Cybertron probably)....

This is the reason Bay met with ILM for five hours when the announcement of the third film was made...they've essentially have to get to work now to figure out now the heck to do Unicron.

I dunno if that UNicron is THÉ reason that Bay spent so much time with ILM. Let's not forget that , regardless of quality of the movies themselves , the VFX are very complex. I would say that with the first TF movie , they at least had time to plan everything out. The 2nd time was much more complex because of the scale and the fact that they had much less time. I mean working out a script , shoot a movie and finish the VFX in 2 yrs time is very demanding on everyone. I'm not saying that it can't be done because TF2 has done that , Spider-man 2 has done that and Iron Man 2 has also done that. But with each movie getting bigger and bigger , the director definately needs to begin work with ILM at a very early stage.

I dont see whats so difficult about creating a gigantic planet sized robot. Just make a gigantic planet sized robot! Its all on screen anyway!

I just hope we finally get Prowl, Wheeljack, Hot Rod, Rumble, Laserbeak, Shockwave and Skywarp. They were all, apparently, planned for the first movie.

100 percent Wheeljack. Hes a cooler version of Ratchet

I dont see whats so difficult about creating a gigantic planet sized robot. Just make a gigantic planet sized robot! Its all on screen anyway!

There's a lot more to it than that. It's more likely Bay and Kruger consulted with ILM for a five-hour meeting to not only work on the third film, but to also book them ahead of time to begin previz and character designs. And I bet more than anything money was bandied around that meeting; there's only so much ILM can do and how much Dreamworks/Paramount is willing to shell out for the extensive CGI work.

Every studio's done it. Even with TF-2 sitting pretty with a humongous chunk of change domestically ($401 million), when you factor in that the theaters get 46% of the final gross and the $$$ used for P&A -- TF-2 has broke even. Bay should probably hone in his money-burning tendencies; returns aren't as good for third entries of a franchise. If Paramount and Bay encounter a POTC 3-sized budget (and a POTC 3-sized return), they might want to dump Bay for a fourth outing.

It's not as black-and-white as you think it is. The complexity makes it much more difficult. Is it a giant transformer ? How big is it going to be ? Will the autobots and decepticons duke it out on Unicron's surface ? In which case they'll have to shoot the entire scene virtually since there won't be any background plates to shoot.

Back when they made the first movie , Optimus Prime was the most complex creation ILM had ever created. It pushed their machines to the limit. Devastator was 6 Optimus Primes combined into one. It was simply impossible for the computer to render Devastator as one single character. They needed to split it the model and render different parts of it.
Not to mention the fact that it had to measure up to the resolution of IMAX.

There's a lot more to it than that. It's more likely Bay and Kruger consulted with ILM for a five-hour meeting to not only work on the third film, but to also book them ahead of time to begin previz and character designs. And I bet more than anything money was bandied around that meeting; there's only so much ILM can do and how much Dreamworks/Paramount is willing to shell out for the extensive CGI work.

Every studio's done it. Even with TF-2 sitting pretty with a humongous chunk of change domestically ($401 million), when you factor in that the theaters get 46% of the final gross and the $$$ used for P&A -- TF-2 has broke even. Bay should probably hone in his money-burning tendencies; returns aren't as good for third entries of a franchise. If Paramount and Bay encounter a POTC 3-sized budget (and a POTC 3-sized return), they might want to dump Bay for a fourth outing.

I don't think that the 3rd movie will cost that much.300 million is just too big of a number , even for a franchise this big. The fact that the studio had to pay the VFX studios extra in order to meet the deadlines , helped escalate the budget of POTC 3.

Bay always is saying that he's trying to be make the budget work. For both TF movies , he's been able to come under the budget ( the first one cost 145 mil and the second one 195 mil). Even with all the VFX , my guess is that the 3rd movie will have a budget of 250 million MAX.
With Bay and co. planning everything out this early ,it obviously helps that they can budget their VFX sequences at an early stage.

T2 has broke even?

they made tons of profit on this movie. if you dont think they did then i dont know what to say. they made 400 domestic and 430 int.

Yeah. With the worldwide gross alone, they've made profit. The DVD/Blu-ray sales will be the icing on the cake for the studio.

How about this title for the sequel, Transformers 3: The Fast & The Former.

I seriously doubt they're gonna base the third title off of other titles.

This would be like having the Transformers fight the Earth. What do they do, shoot the ground? It worked in a cartoon, because it was a cartoon. This cannot work on screen. why Galactus was a cloud instead of a giant dude in purple tights. When something is that big, it makes everything else seem really small.

Let's do an example.
The moon is 3,478,800 meters across or 3,478,800 meters "tall".
Optimus Prime is 28 ft or 8.53 meters tall.
That means the moon is 407,832 times taller than Prime.
Now, the tallest building on Earth is the Burj Dubai at 818 meters. That's 95 times taller than Prime. That right there would be impossible to put on screen. Don't believe me, take a look at this photo of the Burj.
burj-dubai-tower.jpg

Notice the parking garage in front of it? That's four levels and is around 45-50 feet tall. Nearly double the height of Prime. Do you still think that a Transformer that stand 8.53 meters tall could share the screen with something that is 3,478,800 meters tall?

Devastator's design was so complex it melted a computer. Imagine what Unicron's design would do?

Its far too early for Unicron IMO, I have said this in the villain thread but he should be saved for the final movie as you arent going to get a bigger threat than that, not to mention you would need an astronomical budget and I dont see them going beyond $250 million.

^ Pretty good article. Having the Autobots and Decepticons team up to fight Unicron is the only way to go, imo.

Last edited:

There's some good ideas in there. But I can't see them abandoning the Earth storyline. I see Unicron appearance in the films involving him coming to Earth instead and sending out the likes of Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge, and the Sweeps as heralds. That way, Bay gets to keep the military involved, while perhaps a small unit of Autobots go into space to try and stop Unicron from reaching Earth.

Great article, but again I think its too early for Unicron, if Unicron is in the 3rd movie, how are they going to up the stakes in the 3rd movie?

Everything in that article could be done by having Thunderwing as the bad guy, imagine a finale of Optimus Prime and Megatron vs Thunderwing! It would be amazing and the other Autobots and Decepticons could be taking on Bludgeon and his gang.

If people read Stormbringer they would know what I mean.

i dont know about you guys but i woudnt want unicron , death star? if they did unicron, they should have it being megatrons ship of destruction or something? they way they should go with the series i think, is more full scale battles more bots more destruction etc

^I dont want Unicron either, we will be getting more than 3 movies so save the biggest threat for the last movie, and you cant get bigger than Unicron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"