Dark Phoenix It's safe to assume that the Deadpool movies don't belong to this universe...

Same could be said about the X-Men franchise in general.

That makes no sense. Fox's X-men movies are not bringing in anywhere near as much as their Deadpool movies, and Disney never said anything about creating a separate brand for X-men.

Deadpool fits in the same way most the films have fit with each other since the franchise started. in which case it fits perfectly.

One thing that can't be ignored about Deadpool and the creative team on Deadpool is that they really wanted too acknowledge Deadpool is in the same universe as the X-Men movies while also having the freedom to do their own thing in it, to the point the moment the got their foot in the door they jumped right on the X-Mansion set to film as much as they could... and the more they showed, the more obvious it become and the harder it became to ignore.

Deadpool isn't in a different universe. Deadpool is part of the same universe. its part of the same universe that includes 2 different version of characters whenever it suits them. while also keeping parts of the universe firmly intact and acknowledged.

Right now, at this moment Deadpool fits in better to the X-Men movies then it does the MCU.

I just don't feel like the Deadpool creators are going for what you think they are going for. They aren't trying to establish a cohesive "shared universe" with the X-men films, they are trying to create a parody version of the X-men universe. Colossus is a gag character, NSTW is a gag character, the X-force were gag characters, Juggernaut is a gag character, the only non-gag character is Cable, but that's because his non-gagginess contrasting with Deadpool is part of the gag. It's like Teen Titans Go compared to the original Teen Titans cartoon: the same universe, basically, but a parody version of it. Although Deadpool pulls it off way better.

That makes no sense. Fox's X-men movies are not bringing in anywhere near as much as their Deadpool movies, and Disney never said anything about creating a separate brand for X-men.

As you pointed out they didn't say much about Deadpool either beyond hey don't you worry you will still get some Deadpool. Well thats verification that they will use Deadpool in some fashion. which is not really surprising.

I just don't feel like the Deadpool creators are going for what you think they are going for. They aren't trying to establish a cohesive "shared universe" with the X-men films, they are trying to create a parody version of the X-men universe. Colossus is a gag character, NSTW is a gag character, the X-force were gag characters, Juggernaut is a gag character, the only non-gag character is Cable, but that's because his non-gagginess contrasting with Deadpool is part of the gag. It's like Teen Titans Go compared to the original Teen Titans cartoon: the same universe, basically, but a parody version of it. Although Deadpool pulls it off way better.

I don't think it would be as much fun for the creative team to work on Deadpool if they didn't think they were walking onto the X-Men films set and being the troublemaker, troll and joker in whats a fairly serious film series.

Last edited:
As you pointed out they didn't say much about Deadpool either beyond hey don't you worry you will still get some Deadpool. Well thats verification that they will use Deadpool in some fashion. which is not really surprising.

Well, I guess we'll find out when we find out.

I don't think it would be as much fun for the creative team to work on Deadpool if they didn't think they were walking onto the X-Men films set and being the troublemaker, troll and joker in whats a fairly serious film series.

If that's what they were going for, they'd have surrounded Deadpool with a cast of serious characters. It doesn't feel like Deadpool is a gag character who walked into an otherwise serious universe, it feels like Deadpool is in a universe that is built specifically to have lots of gag characters for him to bounce off of in various funny ways. Even the cameo from the DP cast has them only for a gag, when in a serious setting you would expect them to actually engage Deadpool (especially Charles) rather than comedically pretend they weren't there.

The continuity of the Fox X-men series is screwed, and it's been screwed that way for years. There's no getting around it.

You nailed it. I couldn't have said it better.

I agree it isn't in the same universe too many things don't line up.

You say that as if that's new to this franchise. That's par for the course.

Reactions: Lip
Its the same universe, things just don't make sense. One movie later, someone is alive (that was killed) and being portrayed by another actor. The character is suddenly younger and hve a completely different set of powers and is either randomly turned to an ally, enemy or a X-Man.

its the same universe, just without havingthe care about the established things within the universe. Kinberg must be proud overseeing the films and they don't line up with each other.

There are no continuity problems with the X-Men franchise, if you consider Deadpool a standalone alternate universe. "Logan" has already been declared by Marvel itself like an alternate universe, so we just got three movies out of the mainstream continuity of X-Men movies. That's it.

If you consider "First Class" as a soft reboot of the franchise via time travel, and Sebastian Shaw as a time traveller, things line up on a 100% perfect way.

There is no "someone alive (that was killed) and portrayed by another actor with a different set of powers" whatsoever in the saga.

Yukio? There are two Yukios, and the one placed in the Deadpool universe has her own continuity.

There are no continuity problems with the X-Men franchise, if you consider Deadpool a standalone alternate universe. "Logan" has already been declared by Marvel itself like an alternate universe, so we just got three movies out of the mainstream continuity of X-Men movies. That's it.
I'd like to see the quote where "Marvel itself declared it an alternate universe." For one Marvel has nothing to do with Logan. That's all Fox.

The quote from Jackman:

“When you see the full movie you’ll understand. Not only is it different in terms of timeline and tone, it’s a slightly different universe. It’s actually a different paradigm and that will become clear.”

was later walked back by Mangold himself via twitter on Jan 21, 2017:

Don’t think @RealHughJackman said that exactly. Simple fact. We take place in 2029, 5 yrs past anything depicted in XMEN

If you consider "First Class" as a soft reboot of the franchise via time travel, and Sebastian Shaw as a time traveller, things line up on a 100% perfect way.

There is no "someone alive (that was killed) and portrayed by another actor with a different set of powers" whatsoever in the saga.

Yukio? There are two Yukios, and the one placed in the Deadpool universe has her own continuity.
I suppose in your head the Emma Frost in X: OW is "Emma Silverfox." How do you make sense of Moira MacTaggert?

I'd like to see the quote where "Marvel itself declared it an alternate universe." For one Marvel has nothing to do with Logan. That's all Fox.

I suppose in your head the Emma Frost in X: OW is "Emma Silverfox." How do you make sense of Moira MacTaggert?

MARVEL officially listed the "Logan" universe as: EARTH-17315

Earth-17315

Emma Silverfox is Emma Frost's clone in the original timeline, Timeline Alpha --- pre-Shaw, pre-DOFP.
In the original timeline, Moira Senior (Rose) never became a CIA agent, and her niece (Last Stand Moira) became a scientist.

MARVEL officially listed the "Logan" universe as: EARTH-17315

Earth-17315
Thanks for the link. Honestly did not know that. Doesn't change the fact that according to this film's director this is the same timeline though.
Emma Silverfox is Emma Frost's clone in the original timeline, Timeline Alpha --- pre-Shaw, pre-DOFP.
In the original timeline, Moira Senior (Rose) never became a CIA agent, and her niece (Last Stand Moira) became a scientist.
Oh boy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. Honestly did not know that. Doesn't change the fact that according to this film's director this is the same timeline though.

Oh boy.

Well, the creature goes behind the creator, and evidence on the movie points out at an alternate timeline:

1- Xavier's age is different, he is 90 years old.
2- There are no traces of time alteration(s), it's a reality very similar to the OT.
3- Adamantium bullet(s) from "Origins".
4- Different scientists involved in the Weapon X project, and Wolvie killed them.
5- X-Men wearing colorful costumes and being idolized on comic books.
6- Jean died forever in "The Last Stand" and Xavier overcame the X-Men without a "Phoenix" to stop him.
7- 2029 is way too close to 2023.
8- Mutant births stopped in 2004.
9- Different Caliban.

And I could go on...

Well,

The Mutant Containment Unit (MCU) from "Dark Phoenix" makes the Ice Box in "Deadpool 2" more valid, continuity-wise.
We could pretend both the Deadpool movies happen in early 2000s. Technology in the X-Men movies has always been more adavanced, since "X-Men" (set in 2004).

Well,

The Mutant Containment Unit (MCU) from "Dark Phoenix" makes the Ice Box in "Deadpool 2" more valid, continuity-wise.
We could pretend both the Deadpool movies happen in early 2000s. Technology in the X-Men movies has always been more adavanced, since "X-Men" (set in 2004).

They don't happen in the early 2000s, the movies make that obvious.

Wait, did I see someone say “there are no continuity errors”? I love this franchise, but hooooooooooo-ly **** are there major continuity errors. You can’t just use “well that movie’s a parallel universe” for every entry that doesn’t fit. Yes, you can use a new timeline to excuse part of DoFP, all of Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix and the Deadpool films. But that’s it within reason. Logan’s the difficult one for me. Despite it’s bleak and bitter end to virtually all the X-Men (and my personal apprehension,) I think it’s intended to take place after the altered future scene of DoFP.

Considering each film (and not just my preferred canon,) I believe the two timelines to go like this:

1. FC > DoFP (pre-time travel past) > XO: W > X1 > X2 > X3 > TW > DoFP (pre-time travel future)

2. FC > DoFP (altered past) > X:A > DPh > Deadpool > Deadpool 2 > DoFP (altered future) > Logan > (POSSIBLY) New Mutants

What. A. Mess. For example, Angel (Warren) was in his twenties in Apocalypse, which means he was born in the early 60’s. So, he was born well before the past was altered in DoFP, placing his birth also in the 60’s in the original timeline. But in X3, he was in his 20’s when, judging by his implied birth from Apocalypse, he should’ve at least been in his 40’s. Jubilee’s another major example of this issue. Being a teen in the 80’s means she was born prior to the time travel and should appear in her 30’s when the original trilogy rolls around, yet she’s a teenager. It’s one thing to have characters who are born after Trask was killed in the original timeline be born later or earlier as long as it’s still after the time travel alteration. This is just one example of an inexcusable continuity error that can not be explained away by time travel.

Again, I love this franchise, but, wow.

Wait, did I see someone say “there are no continuity errors”? I love this franchise, but hooooooooooo-ly **** are there major continuity errors.

What. A. Mess. For example, Angel (Warren) was in his twenties in Apocalypse, which means he was born in the early 60’s. So, he was born well before the past was altered in DoFP, placing his birth also in the 60’s in the original timeline. But in X3, he was in his 20’s when, judging by his implied birth from Apocalypse, he should’ve at least been in his 40’s.

Have you read my timeline, my friend? :)

Sebastian Shaw was a time traveler. He was born several years after the events of "The Last Stand" in the original timeline (X-Men Origins: Wolverine; X-Men; X2; The Last Stand).

At a certain point, when he was 50 or so, he traveled back to 1912 A.C. and impacted the timeline over the years in various ways... until creating the Hellfire Club.
He also changed Magneto's life in 1944.
The events of "First Class" were deeply caused by him, as well as having many birthdays shifting in time and characters being born later or before (Angel, Jean Grey).
I guess he influenced many powerful people over the decades, impacting their lives - Warren Worthington II was among them.

FC Moira was the grandmother of LS Moira, as simple as that.

Emma Frost was already existing. Maybe, in the original timeline, Emma Silverfox was a clone of her who was adopted by Kayla's family (that's it).

This means that the timeline depicted in "First Class" (1962), "The Wolverine" (2008) and the post-apocalyptic future of "Days of Future Past" (2023) was already a massive divergence from the original, untampered version of history (the X-Men trilogy).

X-CONTINUITY
http://x-continuity.blogspot.com

So in the end, we got the second timeline:

1962- 'First Class'
1963- Magneto is arrested
1973- Mystique kills Bolivar Trask
1983- Alternate version of "X-Men Origins"
2000- Alternate version of "X-Men" and "X2"
2001- Alternate version of "The Last Stand"
2008- The Wolverine
2023- Post-apocalyptic future of "Days of Future Past"

Have you read my timeline, my friend? :)

Sebastian Shaw was a time traveler. He was born several years after the events of "The Last Stand" in the original timeline (X-Men Origins: Wolverine; X-Men; X2; The Last Stand).

At a certain point, when he was 50 or so, he traveled back to 1912 A.C. and impacted the timeline over the years in various ways... until creating the Hellfire Club.
He also changed Magneto's life in 1944.
The events of "First Class" were deeply caused by him, as well as having many birthdays shifting in time and characters being born later or before (Angel, Jean Grey).
I guess he influenced many powerful people over the decades, impacting their lives - Warren Worthington II was among them.

FC Moira was the grandmother of LS Moira, as simple as that.

Emma Frost was already existing. Maybe, in the original timeline, Emma Silverfox was a clone of her who was adopted by Kayla's family (that's it).

This means that the timeline depicted in "First Class" (1962), "The Wolverine" (2008) and the post-apocalyptic future of "Days of Future Past" (2023) was already a massive divergence from the original, untampered version of history (the X-Men trilogy).

X-CONTINUITY
http://x-continuity.blogspot.com

So in the end, we got the second timeline:

1962- 'First Class'
1963- Magneto is arrested
1973- Mystique kills Bolivar Trask
1983- Alternate version of "X-Men Origins"
2000- Alternate version of "X-Men" and "X2"
2001- Alternate version of "The Last Stand"
2008- The Wolverine
2023- Post-apocalyptic future of "Days of Future Past"

That’s really interesting and neat and I give you a lot of credit for creatively filling in the blanks. But you’re adding your own fiction to a pre-existing, pre-established universe that is responsible for connecting its own dots (which is represented in my post.) Unfortunately it doesn’t do such a good job of that, but that’s all I (and most people) have to go off of. A massive part of your continuity just isn’t part of the actual continuity.

He's giving his own eXplanation and eXcuses when those things were even not even thought of by the writers/producers when they were making the movies.

That’s really interesting and neat and I give you a lot of credit for creatively filling in the blanks. But you’re adding your own fiction to a pre-existing, pre-established universe that is responsible for connecting its own dots (which is represented in my post.) Unfortunately it doesn’t do such a good job of that, but that’s all I (and most people) have to go off of. A massive part of your continuity just isn’t part of the actual continuity.

In theory, you can also pretend that X1, X2, X3 and Origins belong to a standalone universe and "First Class" was an absolute reboot and a new alternate universe (well, they always intended it to be a "soft reboot" in 2010-2011).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"