Jack Kirby concept art for the film that would become "Argo"

Breogan

My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey
Reaction score
Awesome Kirby concept art from the film "Lord of Light" that Antonio Mendez and the CIA bought, for the film that would become known as "Argo".

The fake movie "pretend-produced" as a CIA cover to famously get Americans out if Iran.

More images - The Lost Jack Kirby Sketches For The (Real) "Argo" Film Project

Seeing the incredible Kirby art and concept I almost wish Mendez and the CIA had produced it for real.

enhanced-buzz-wide-1780-1361320065-4.jpg

5ygi3a.jpg

5ygk2z.jpg

5ygi5j.jpg

enhanced-buzz-wide-9735-1361320560-3.jpg

I've seen a few interviews with Antonio Mendez the mastermind behind the plan, but I've never seen him mention or asked about the Kirby art specifically.
Mendez apparently being an artist himself, I wonder how much this art being attached to the project, influenced him when it came time to choosing a movie to "fake-produce".
Obviously the specifics of which movie it was were meaningless, they just needed a cover, and for him and the rest to believably convey it was real. but honestly if I had seen this art and concept I would have chosen it too.

So, does the CIA still own the script and concept for the "Lord of Light" film? Can somebody actually still make this movie using the Kirby concepts?

enhanced-buzz-wide-1855-1361320083-13.jpg
5ygkpc.jpg

5yghx7.jpg

And how incredible would it have been to enter a Kirby designed theme park!

Last edited:
I live just a few miles south of Aurora so I definitely wish they'd built that park there.

I live just a few miles south of Aurora so I definitely wish they'd built that park there.

jack-kirby-lord-of-light.jpeg

They apparently had high hopes for this project...(unless it was all part of the ruse)

In a strange twist if fate it all fell apart, and instead became the vehicle for an even stranger sequence of events.
This whole story reminds me of the saying reality is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Last edited:
Fantastic! Such meticulous detail. Awe inspiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"