James Gunn's to write early days Superman. New actor to be cast.

Just start with 1. Superman already existing, but still a new hero in Metropolis, 2. Lois and Clark being young competing reporters trying to build their careers (and maybe Perry pairs them up for a story), and 3. Lex Luthor being the evil billionaire who hates Superman because he can't control him or buy him off, and keeps interfering with his affairs.

Just start simple and build from there.

Exactly. Just do a Year Two story like The Batman. We still talked about Bruce’s parents death in that movie but we didn’t really dwell on it. Treat Clark’s origins the same.

But one origin element I do think would be fun/different to see for Superman explored on screen is the evolution of his costume…

Clark uses a proto-suit at first as he secretly uses his alien powers to save the city (inspired by American Alien and Man of Tomorrow):

superman-american-alien-5.jpg

But he returns home to Smallville at some point in the film after a tough defeat and/or seeking guidance from Ma and Pa on a moral dilemma…Back on the farm, he reflects on his origins and unlocks a secret compartment in his alien rocket revealing his iconic super suit.

Music swells as he flies back to Metropolis, fully formed as Superman, to save the day!

In the summer I was thinking a lot about how Superman would work in Reeves world alongside Pattison.

I had this new 52 inspired look, where Clark is not so much acting in secret, but getting in and out and not staying for thanks. He wears what he's wearing, which is usually farm gear - boots, jeans, t shirt.

Then, one day - he's in smallville taking part in their summer fete strong man contest - everyone knows clark, he's that friendly guy that grew up helping everyone - he's unassuming, could easily be a jock but just never let it get to his head.

He represents smallville against a neighbouring town and he wears a blue t shirt and he draws an s on it, in red and a cape after Lana suggested it as some fun for the kids. So before the strong man contest starts, he's in a side tent getting ready where he hears something, he senses something isn't right - screeching breaks, men shouting is what he hears from his pov, to us, it's typical background noise - Clark gives Lana that look and off he goes to save the day - the media catches glimpses of this man in blue, red cape and an s on his chest.

That's how I would do it, however.. I know many wouldn't but it's how I would make it work.

Lex could be the reason supervillians such as metallo, parasite, bizarro etc all exist.
All failed plans to defeat superman.

I would maybe use elements of John Byrne's Man Of Steel miniseries and other comic books as the backstory, rather than any prior film incarnations. I am not sure I want there to have already been an alien invasion from Zod off screen before we even get the first movie in this new universe.

Just start with 1. Superman already existing, but still a new hero in Metropolis, 2. Lois and Clark being young competing reporters trying to build their careers (and maybe Perry pairs them up for a story), and 3. Lex Luthor being the evil billionaire who hates Superman because he can't control him or buy him off, and keeps interfering with his affairs.

Just start simple and build from there.

This sounds good. Start with an Earth based villain (not Lex…at least not at the forefront). The only reason I said about including Zod as a backstory for a quasi-sequel to both S2/MOS was it might unite the fans…but I feel this could do the same and keep the opportunity for Zod to appear later in the series.

This sounds good. Start with an Earth based villain (not Lex…at least not at the forefront). The only reason I said about including Zod as a backstory for a quasi-sequel to both S2/MOS was it might unite the fans…but I feel this could do the same and keep the opportunity for Zod to appear later in the series.

Like in Into the Spider-Verse I'd include some sort of "One Last Time" sequence, or Spider-Man 2 style opening credits montage, showing us what this Supes has gone through, crash landing, raised in Smallville, fighting Zod, several other villains, little references to the other interpretations, etc.

Just get BobJM to post his ideas again. He's got the right idea I think.

Side note, I saw someone cast Cavill as Jor-El. I love the idea but I can’t see it happening because of the Snyderverse nonsense. I think Gunn’s Superman script is finished with all but some of the DCU Easter eggs. There have been rumors for years that WB came to Gunn to have him write and direct the Superman reboot so I believe he was always going to do Superman after Guardians of the Galaxy even if he was not going to run DC studios. It’s now about casting. I could Superman start filming in the Fall of 2023 and maybe a March 2025 release date.

Won't happen, but it would be neat if gunn's universe was an alternate universe.

Imagine a couple end game type films with the final fight against the big bad.
( Darkseid? Anti-monitor? Brainiac? )
And multiple supermen, Wonder women, GLs, etc show up ( thanks to spectre )
You could show a cg Chris reeve, a Lynda Carter, etc.

Not one JL can take down this villain alone. It Takes multiple JLs and heroes ( and villains ) and some would die.

SUPERMAN
a James Gunn film

bac4cc5e-6bf0-43dd-8173-125bf33304b6.png

Clark Kent works as a reporter at the Daily Bugle, secretly using his alien powers to protect the city of Metropolis. But when a new group of antiheroes arrive on the scene showing a willingness to kill criminals in the name of justice, Clark will be forced to fight back as the heroic Superman!

PLOT SCRIPTMENT
We open on the bustling streets of METROPOLIS, a modern American city:

EtaPhMKWYAMKDVQ.jpg

Inside his small apartment, we watch CLARK KENT amidst his morning routine (shaving with heat vision, putting on his lead-speckled glasses, etc.) as he catches up with MA and PA KENT via FaceTime / Skype. Ma is excited by Clark’s recent heroics (highlighted in Daily Planet newspaper clippings plastered across his apartment wall)—

“How’s the suit fit? Is it riding up in the crotch?”

We meet Clark’s neighbors, army vet JOHN HENRY IRONS and his young niece NATASHA. Clark and John are good friends; they have plans for drinks later.

We follow Clark on his morning commute, purposefully choosing not to use his super speed. But the peace is interrupted by RUDY JONES / PARASITE who is terrorizing downtown, absorbing the life forces of unfortunate commuters and eventually the electricity from the train tracks itself.

Looks like a job for SUPERMAN. Clark sneaks away and re-emerges as Metropolis’ hero in a reimagined adaptation of the classic Fleischer suit.

Screen-Shot-2021-07-16-at-4.19.52-PM.png

In action against Parasite, Superman is effective but still inexperienced. Where he succeeds is his compassion—Clark sees that Jones is frightened, lashing out for help as his thirst grows unquenchable. Superman subdues Jones with a non-violent approach (using his freeze breath) just in time as the major crimes unit led by MAGGIE SAWYER and LT. DAN TURPIN arrive to secure the area.

When gathered press and bystanders question Superman about the property damage and lives lost in the fight and why he doesn't try to "fix the world" with his power, he responds earnestly in a speech emphasizing the folly of lawless violence and the greater good that is found within everyone. His response is live-streamed:

“My Pa used to teach me that the grace of mankind is everywhere, you just have to be open to seeing it. Humanity has a limitless potential for good…I just want to help us reach that potential.”

Later at the Daily Planet, Clark arrives amidst journalists bustling back-and-forth in response to Superman’s speech, which is trending across the globe. Before PERRY WHITE can yell at Clark for being late, he submits his already-written article on Superman/Parasite much to the annoyance and bewilderment of rival reporter LOIS LANE. We also meet the rest of the Daily Planet cast: photographer JIMMY OLSEN who flaunts his wristwatch given to him by Superman, managing editor RON TROUPE, and gossip columnist CAT GRANT who openly flirts with Clark in the bullpen.

Meanwhile inside LexCorp tower, the tallest building on the Eastern seaboard, we meet LEX LUTHOR in his office and learn he was involved in the Parasite incident in an effort to draw out Superman to study him. Across a bank of monitors is a freeze frame of Superman addressing the people. Luthor’s personal assistant and bodyguard, MERCY GRAVES, takes notes.

Alexander-Lex-Luthor-.jpg

“Set up a meeting, Mercy. It’s time we had some heroes of our own.”

Later, Clark, John, and Jimmy bump into Lois at Bibbo’s Bar. Before Lois can make a quick exit, she’s convinced into having a round with them. Clark and Lois have a playful banter and rivalry but she’s more interested in Superman, and taking down Lex Luthor. She’s been investigating and has learned that Rudy Jones was a former employee of LexCorp that went missing 3 months ago, and might be connected to rumors of metahuman testing…

A breaking new story involving the war in Biaalya and Quaraac on the television catches their attention with reports of a mysterious bio-weapon on site. Clark excuses himself, and Lois and Jimmy leave for LexCorp immediately after—Lois was at the bar to pickpocket DABNEY DONOVAN’s security badge, which she’s been holding in her purse this whole time.

John, now sitting alone, orders another round from BIBBO BIBBOWSKI.

In Bialya, Superman arrives to find both civilians and soldiers fleeing from the deployed BIO-WEAPON, a techno-organic monstrosity that’s destroying the city.

[We meanwhile follow Lois and Jimmy as they sneak into LexCorp tower to the genetics labs using Dabney’s badge.]

As Superman faces against the bio-weapon, he’s assisted by the sudden appearance of new heroes:

- MANCHESTER BLACK, telepath & telekinetic
- COLDCAST, electro manipulation
- MENAGERIE, symbiotic alien parasites
- HAT, magician

maxresdefault.jpg

[Inside LexCorp, Lois and Jimmy find the lab already scrubbed of any incriminating evidence. Luthor was prepared. They’re captured by security and brought before Luthor who, after denying any involvement in the Parasite incident, gives Lois and Jimmy the full exclusive for earth’s newest heroic craze— THE ELITE.]

MONTAGE showcasing The Elite’s heroics, punctuated with Luthor’s many media appearances and interviews to spread the group's popularity— “Lex Luthor’s own Supermen”

Clark remains cautiously optimistic— even if Luthor is trying to spite Superman, the Elite are still doing good across the globe. He observes their activities along one of his robotic KELEX drones at the Fortress of Solitude. He hopes he’s doing enough to make his parents proud…

Lois meanwhile continues to investigate. An analysis provided by Star Labs shows a link between Parasite and bio-weapon energy signatures—proving a potential link to the two, but not to Luthor. She thinks Luthor was staging events to manipulate public opinion.

starlabs2-300x165.jpg

Secretly, Clark’s excited by the possibility of others like him (expressing as much to Ma on their weekly phone call).

He and The Elite rescue civilians on a subway train trapped underwater due to a terrorist attack. The terrorists are nearly killed by Manchester (who we’ve noticed becoming more radicalized during his heroics) but after Superman stops him, Hat teleports the Elite away, leaving Superman concerned about his newfound friends…

Back at base, The Elite are reprimanded by Luthor for the unsanctioned mission at the subway. But Manchester rebels, clearly radicalized, and tosses Luthor across the room before he and The Elite depart for parts unknown…

Later, Black broadcasts a message to the planet, announcing that the Elite intends to deal with villains…of all kind… lethally. Luthor does not panic but instead sees an opportunity and orders Mercy to orchestrate the escape of Parasite again, knowing it will pit his adversaries against each other.

Comics_Gallery_20180704__Green_Arrow_42_CVR_5b19823a285b92.52087824.jpg

Superman flies to stop Parasite but he’s inadvertently hit by a Coldcast-generated neutrino pulse that greatly weakens him. Superman is saved by the timely intervention of the the Elite.

Amidst the fight between Parasite and The Elite, John pushes his niece out of the way of falling debris but is injured as a result.

Superman spots a LexCorp transmitter on Parasite’s hide that’s causing him distress and incinerates it (along with any incriminating evidence), ending the mayhem. But when the crowd, including young Natasha Irons, demands vengeance, Parasite is executed by Manchester. Superman punches Manchester as a smile spreads across Luthor’s face…

The Elite inform Superman that, in the interests of peace, they have also killed both the Quaraac and Bialyan leaders, and regard Superman's adverse reaction as a declaration of war as the crowd cheers.

Manchester-Black-750x383.jpg

A defeated Superman returns home to Smallville and reconnects with Ma and Pa:

“Sometimes ‘truth, justice, and a better tomorrow’ just doesn’t make them feel better, son. They want easy answers. Quick results.”

“So is Black right? The best way to fight demons is to become one? Because it’s fast and easy?”

“Of course not, Clark. But you can’t just talk to someone like that. You have to teach them there’s a better way. Lead by example.”

Meanwhile, Lois is approached by VERA BLACK who provides her with the truth about The Elite including detailed personnel files on the group, revealing their powers and weaknesses. Manchester Black grew up in an abusive home protecting his young sister (alluded to be Vera) before recruited by Luthor after the emergence of Superman two years ago. He and the other Elite members were granted immunity to use their powers for sanctioned missions.

Superman returns to confront Luthor about his involvement in Parasite and unleashing the Elite. But Luthor reminds Superman that he burned away any evidence tying him to Parasite and that Manchester Black is a soldier who left rank, so Luthor cannot implicated of any wrongdoing. Nevertheless, they’re momentarily aligned and he encourages Superman to fight the Elite— whoever loses, Luthor wins.

62dc6be24d77efc5-600x338.png

Lois uses Jimmy’s wrist watch to contact Superman and he leaves Luthor. On the roof of the Daily Planet, Lois gives Superman the information she has from Vera Black but urges him not to fight the Elite. He comforts her and takes the files before flying away, knowing what he must do…

The next day, Superman informs the Elite that he is willing to fight them but away from the civilian populace. So Hat teleports both parties to the Moon, and broadcasts the fight worldwide—with all of our characters watching, including impressionable young Natasha Irons in John’s hospital room.

While Superman is able to withstand and counter the attacks of Coldcast, Menagerie and Hat, he is brought to his knees by Manchester's telekinetic attack. Coldcast unleashes a massive blast of electromagnetic energy, seemingly obliterating Superman.

Moments later, the disconcerted voice of Superman begins to taunt the Elite, stating that he has finally been convinced that he needs to start killing villains— beginning with the Elite.

Manchester orders Hat to teleport them to Metropolis, hoping to use the innocent civilians as cover before Superman. Reappearing in a blur of movement, Superman begins to take out the Elite one by one; first, he injects Menagerie with a poison before seemingly throws Coldcast into orbit. Superman suffocates Hat with a super-speed generated whirlwind.

Superman reappears in person (Natasha cheers in front of the TV screen) and confronts an increasingly desperate Manchester. After a stunning battle, Superman is once again psychically attacked but the assault fails to harm him— he used his heat vision to partially lobotomise Manchester, stripping him of his powers.

Believing his death to be seconds away, Manchester tells Superman that the world knows he is no better than they are and thus unable to be trusted. However, Superman reveals that The Elite were not killed but transported to the Fortress of Solitude and stripped of their power (with Kelex’s help, and Vera’s notes).

6208_5.jpg

“If you think I’ll just go in a jail cell and rot, you’re living in a dream world!”

“Good. Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us into something better. And until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice are a reality we all share, I’ll never stop fighting. Ever.”

The people of Earth realize that violence and killing were incompatible with the tenets of justice, and ultimately accept that Superman.

As the film concludes, Lois Lane gets the headline uncovering illegal genetic experiments at LexCorp but Luthor denies any involvement and instead throws Dabney Donovan under the bus.

Clark visits John in the hospital and speaks with Natasha, inspired by her confidence in Superman.

The film ends with Superman flying away, off to save the day.

SUPERMAN WILL RETURN.

cblr604bdisplay.jpg

POST CREDITS:

Luthor approaches John Irons recovering in his hospital room with GENERAL WADE EILING.

“You want to be of use to your country, son?”

(teasing Steel story adaptation in sequel)

END.

FULL CAST
MAIN
Clark Kent / Superman: David Corenswet, 29
david-corenswet.jpg

Lois Lane: Maya Hawke, 24
MAYA%2520HAWKE%252030062022_SF.jpg

Manchester Black: Daniel Radcliffe, 33
3b62e010b503646304c4214f73fd6ba3.png

Lex Luthor: Nicholas Hoult, 33
GettyImages-1440322736-copy.jpg

Jimmy Olsen: Tony Revolori, 26
spider-man-far-from-home-flash-thompson-tony-revolori-1177630-1280x0-1-1024x574.jpg

Perry White: Bob Odenkirk, 59
6ZRAIAPRNJHJRHO6OOXIXGXAIU.jpg

SUPPORTING
Vera Black: Lucy Boynton, 28
2007790-1.jpeg

John Henry Irons: Stephan James, 29
homecoming-publicity_still_9-h_2018.jpg

Natasha Irons: Kyliegh Curran, 17
MV5BN2JkOWUxZjktZjFmZi00MTg1LWIxZjgtMWM4ODIyMDNiZGFhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3ODk4OQ@@._V1_.jpg

Jonathan Kent: Bill Pullman, 69
NUP_193992_0719-H-2021.jpg

Martha Kent: Jamie Lee Curtis, 64
jamie-lee-curtis-halloween-ends-everett-ftr.jpg

Kelex: Kirby Howell-Baptiste, 35 (voice)
1117-cbsm-kirbyhowellbaptiste-1474562-640x360.jpg

ADDITIONAL VILLAINS
Rudy Jones / Parasite: Cameron Britton, 36
cameron-britton-mindhunter.jpg

Coldcast: Eli Goree, 28
ErzbXGcXAAIeY_b.jpg

Menagerie: Eiza González, 32
Eiza-Gonzalez-Headshot-cr-Justin-Campbell-ANNOUNCEMENT-Publicity-H-2022.jpg

Hat: Manny Jacinto, 35
E9nS1d5UUAQTpel.jpg

Mercy Graves: Mason Alexander Park, 27
l-intro-1636655203.jpg

ADDITIONAL
Dabney Donovan: Sean Gunn, 48
maxresdefault.jpg

Bibbo Bibbowski: Michael Rooker, 67
michael_rooker_.jpg

Maggie Sawyer: Stephanie Beatriz, 41
3977295-cropped.jpeg

Lt. Dan Turpin: Bashir Salahuddin, 45
bashir-salahuddin-1.jpg

Cat Grant: Patti Harrison, 32
shrillx750.jpg

Ron Troupe: Rob Morgan, 49
rob_morgan_-_getty_-_h_2018.jpg

POST CREDITS
General Wade Eiling: J.K. Simmons, 67
MV5BYTg0YWFhZDQtNWU0Yy00OTdlLWE2ZDMtYmY5MzllNjNkOTZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_-scaled-e1646787413928-686550522-1647131643633.jpg

Last edited:
SUPERMAN
a James Gunn film

bac4cc5e-6bf0-43dd-8173-125bf33304b6.png

Clark Kent works as a reporter at the Daily Bugle, secretly using his alien powers to protect the city of Metropolis. But when a new group of antiheroes arrive on the scene showing a willingness to kill criminals in the name of justice, Clark will be forced to fight back as the heroic Superman!

PLOT SCRIPTMENT

FULL CAST

I like this all a lot! If the film ends up being remotely like this write up, I bet we’ll be in for a great film.

Unfortunately though I doubt we’ll be seeing Manchester Black and the What’s So Funny…? Storyline adapted this time around. Given the trades’ synopsis emphasizing Clark’s early days as a cubby reporter, I suspect we’ll probably see more elements from stories like Birthright, Smashes the Klan, American Alien or Morrison’s Action Comics run in the mix.

Last edited:
I like this all a lot! If the film ends up being remotely
like this write up, I bet we’ll be in for a great film.

Unfortunately though I doubt we’ll be seeing Manchester Black and the What’s So Funny…? Storyline adapted this time around. Given the trades’ synopsis emphasizing Clark’s early days as a cubby reporter, I suspect we’ll probably see more elements from stories like Birthright, Smashes the Klan, American Alien or Morrison’s Action Comics run in the mix.

Thanks!

And fair enough about the villains not being the most likely; I just want to see Superman fight some non-alien baddies. I figured the Elite (along with Parasite) provide, in the very least, some interesting visuals without being another alien invasion storyline—or fake invasion like in Birthright.

And of course Lex has to be there to pull the strings, while constantly evading substantiating evidence.

I think having Superman face against the Elite early in his career could be an interesting take on the relationship too. He’s excited to see new metahumans on the scene but when they start showing a willingness to kill, he’s forced to decide what kind of hero he wants to be and take a stand for what he believes to be right (like Ma and Pa taught him). Maybe it spurs him to find others like him and maybe form a league…

Thanks!

And fair enough about the villains not being the most likely; I just want to see Superman fight some non-alien baddies. I figured the Elite (along with Parasite) provide, in the very least, some interesting visuals without being another alien invasion storyline—or fake invasion like in Birthright.

And of course Lex has to be there to pull the strings, while constantly evading substantiating evidence.

I think having Superman face against the Elite early in his career could be an interesting take on the relationship too. He’s excited to see new metahumans on the scene but when they start showing a willingness to kill, he’s forced to decide what kind of hero he wants to be and take a stand for what he believes to be right (like Ma and Pa taught him). Maybe it spurs him to find others like him and maybe form a league…

I agree that the first film needs to stray away from anything to do with aliens.

Though I don’t find the examination or challenging of the no kill rule to be terribly interesting. Always just seemed like a superhero trope thing more than an actual engaging relatable conflict.

Unless of course they relate it to the quick trigger fingers in the US police forces these days, though maybe that’s more appropriate for Coates’ Superman project.

Thanks!

Given that Gunn is apparently focusing on Clark as a reporter, the chances are probably quite high that the film's villains will (largely) be non-alien. After all, it only makes sense to have Clark reporting on the ongoing incidents of whatever villain the film focuses on, in order for him to be able to eventually be better equipped to deal with the situation later as Superman. So I doubt we'll be seeing Brainiac or the like this time around, save for maybe Lobo as a side-character like in Man of Tomorrow.

But rather than the villains being Manchester Black and the Elite, I'd wager that we're more likely to be seeing villains like Parasite, Metallo or Toyman take center stage here, with Lex ideally functioning more as a side-character who keeps squeaking out of legal troubles through lack of substantiating evidence, instigating the conflicts of the film while not being the direct antagonist.

The issue with Manchester and the Elite IMO is that he functions best as a conflict of differing moral approaches to vigilantism against Superman. You can still hypothetically have Clark investigate stuff about him, but like we see in your synopsis, the more natural route to go is to focus more and more on Clark's moral crisis as Superman while Lois deals with the investigative journalism plot beats of the latter parts of the story.

So someone like Parasite or Toyman makes more sense here IMO, as Clark's motivation for investigating and looking for information on them is different from Lois' as he's primarily looking for potential routes to better deal and communicate with them.

Given that Gunn is apparently focusing on Clark as a reporter, the chances are probably quite high that the film's villains will (largely) be non-alien. After all, it only makes sense to have Clark reporting on the ongoing incidents of whatever villain the film focuses on, in order for him to be able to eventually be better equipped to deal with the situation later as Superman. So I doubt we'll be seeing Brainiac or the like this time around, save for maybe Lobo as a side-character like in Man of Tomorrow.

But rather than the villains being Manchester Black and the Elite, I'd wager that we're more likely to be seeing villains like Parasite, Metallo or Toyman take center stage here, with Lex ideally functioning more as a side-character who keeps squeaking out of legal troubles through lack of substantiating evidence, instigating the conflicts of the film while not being the direct antagonist.

The issue with Manchester and the Elite IMO is that he functions best as a conflict of differing moral approaches to vigilantism against Superman. You can still hypothetically have Clark investigate stuff about him, but like we see in your synopsis, the more natural route to go is to focus more and more on Clark's moral crisis as Superman while Lois deals with the investigative journalism plot beats of the latter parts of the story.

So someone like Parasite or Toyman makes more sense here IMO, as Clark's motivation for investigating and looking for information on them is different from Lois' as he's primarily looking for potential routes to better deal and communicate with them.

This is all fair. I’d very much be happy with a story involving Lex Luthor and any/all those villains.

This is all fair. I’d very much be happy with a story involving Lex Luthor and any/all those villains.

Just to be clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to see Manchester Black and the Elite in one of these films! I think they could absolutely work for a great Superman film. I just don't expect them to be the main antagonists this time around, given what little we do know about Gunn's script so far.

But who knows? They could potentially work for a sequel!

Come on Intergang.

That'd be a lot of fun, though I'm not sure how likely they are to show up this time around given their presence in Black Adam.

Superman vs Intergang is my hope as well. No kryptonite, I want Clark to be somewhat self assured, almost too comfortable in the beginning of the 2nd movie, then introduce the green rock, to kind of shake up his world, thoughts, and demeanor.

It would be fun to have a twist of some kind but everything gets spoiled before there is even a trailer out these days but one idea that I am just writing as I go, it could be for a part of Supes "trilogy".

Near the start of the film some sort of tragic event happens, perhaps in some other country, perhaps a horrible explosion somewhere... whatever, something that Supes was too green to be able to either get to or save everyone. It doesn't have to be "9/11 tragic" but just something that shakes the Earth... the sort of "someone gets their hands on the wrong kind of weapons" thing

Lex starts as an Elon Musk type figure that is more Elon from 10? years ago (time is flying its hard to keep up) either way, when he was perceived as less of a dick and more of a fun and genius "inventor".

He is rocking the celeb status and all is good for him, but over the 3 films he becomes a sort of Musk/Trump hybrid that begins to divide the world over *insert idea* (most likely superheroes) and by the end of film 2 or film 3 he is officially elected as President *que him standing looking out of the windows of President Lex towers as David Bowie - "Man who sold the world" plays.

Clark is traveling the world in a "Birthright" sort of manner, investigating some other criminal activity, he meets Lois and Jimmy there who are investigating the same criminal activity, they all witness this tragic event on the news and are in shock like the rest of the world.

short story long story short, Lex was responsible for the big event in the first film but does an amazing job at covering it up, perhaps it even made him look bad for a while which he used to his advantage to make him self look like the common man amongst gods.

If you did read this... I'm sorry, it was a ramble.

I want Lex to have the intellect of Tony Stark, but be as evil and uncaring as a Stalin.
And no goofy quips like WROOOONG, or KRYPPPPTONITE!!

SUPERMAN
dir. James Gunn

action-comics1-feature.jpg

Based on Superman and the Metal Men

FULL CAST
MAIN
Clark Kent / Superman: Paul Mescal, 26
b733a558-4fc5-41ab-89ee-533092338da8_alta-libre-aspect-ratio_default_0.jpg

Lois Lane: Anya Taylor-Joy, 26
The-Menu-trailer.jpg

Sgt. John Corben / Metallo: Miles Teller, 35
ddSJhxHgEvQgdJBzURbWTL.jpg

Lex Luthor: Ralph Fiennes, 60
menu-the-28_TheMenu_Chef_Portrait_3808_rgb.jpg

Dr. John Henry Irons / Steel: Jovan Adepo, 34
File-5-e1614796981520.jpg

Bruno Mannheim: Bobby Cannavale, 52
intro-1666711171.jpg

SUPPORTING
Jimmy Olsen: Tony Revolori, 26
etl_tony_revoloro_070819.jpg

General Sam Lane: Jeff Daniels, 67
american-rust-jeff-daniels.jpg

Martha Kent: Sandra Oh, 51
umma-blogroll-1647542021984.jpg

Jonathan Kent: Brendan Fraser, 54
brendan-fraser.jpg

Lt. Dan Turpin: Bashir Salahuddin, 46
77287-1670575702.jpg

George Taylor: Jim Gaffigan, 56
jim-gaffigan-11041.jpg

ADDITIONAL
Mrs. Nyxly (Clark’s landlord): Natasha Lyonne, 43
l-intro-1672938647.jpg

Dr. Emmett Vale:
Sean Gunn, 48
kraglin.jpg

Mercy Graves: Pom Klementieff, 36
yYoPiorBLQuSnc63etVKxY.jpg

Bibbo Bibbowski: Michael Rooker, 67
michael_rooker_.jpg

WITH
Lara Lor-Van: Ophelia Lovibond, 36
ohwedding_066.jpg

Jor-El: Hugh Dancy, 47
Ewy_AHKVcAIxx21.jpg

AND
Vril Dox / Brainiac: Lee Pace, 43
d47ef559e2a3d5157757a2ff2f38f080.jpg

PLOT TREATMENT
The film begins 6 months after the first public appearance of Superman:

CLARK KENT lives in Hobb’s Bay, writing at the Daily Star for GEORGE TAYLOR, an old friend of MARTHA and JONATHAN KENT.

To the public, Superman is still seen as a mysterious vigilant protecting the downtrodden of Metropolis. As a reporter, Clark gives a voice to the voiceless and shines a light on corruption. His latest takedown—BRUNO MANNHEIM, head of the city's second-largest company Galaxy Comm. Clark’s reporting connects the Galaxy Comm-sponsored high speed monorail project to numerous criminal charges ranging from poor working conditions to bribery and extortion.

The opening action sequence features Superman (wearing blue jeans and a t-shirt, with a bulletproof cape he was swaddled in when he arrived on Earth) confronting Mannheim and his goons while the police, headed by LT. DAN TURPIN, pursue.

word-image-61693-1.jpeg

Mannheim is forced to confess his crimes in front of the police after Superman drops him off the building. However, Mannheim avoids arrest when he later appears on television to call Superman an alien and a danger to society, which helps turn public opinion against the hero.

Clark has dreams about Krypton—fragmented flashes and bursts of color. It was a vibrant, thriving society….

Turpin and the police investigate Clark at his apartment after Mannheim was assaulted by Superman but Clark talks his way out of being a suspect.

1*ntkIOustSkbHNWXUiIJU4w.jpeg

We meet his landlord, MRS. NYXLY (a kooky character for now, whose 5th dimensional origins can be explored in a sequel or crossover event).

LOIS LANE works at rival newspaper Daily Planet with Clark’s best friend, photographer JIMMY OLSEN. The two try to get Clark to leave the Star but because Mannheim’s company owns the Daily Planet, Clark refuses. Lois and Clark have a competitive relationship, with the two always looking to beat each other to the story.

Meanwhile, Lois’s father GENERAL SAM LANE is working with LEX LUTHOR to capture Superman. It is revealed that the US government recovered Clark’s rocket after he landed as a baby, and have been using it for years to advance military scientific achievements. The ship’s operating system calls itself BRAINIAC.

The government is also developing a project using the Kryptonian technology co-opted by Luthor, General Lane, and young scientist JOHN HENRY IRONS called Project Steel Soldier. SGT. JOHN CORBEN is enlisted in the program and has trained for the last 5 years to pilot the experimental Metal-Zero/"Metal 0" suit. Corben has unrequited feelings for General Lane’s daughter, Lois.

Clark struggles to deal with the ramifications of Mannheim’s alien claims on the news, and the citizens begin to turn on him but he continues to investigate Mannheim.

ac-221.jpg

It’s revealed that Clark's source is none other than Lex Luthor! In a private meet-up with Luthor’s assistant MERCY GRAVES, Clark learns that an Intergang terrorist attack on the monorail is imminent— Mannheim is desperate to destroy any evidence of malpractice amidst the growing allegations and cause a major tragedy to shift public attention.

Despite Clark’s warnings, Lois and Jimmy are aboard the monorail when the brakes are cut and Intergang terrorists strike. Lois organizes the people onboard to take down Intergang. Meanwhile, Superman manages to stop the runaway train but collapses from exhaustion.

e2daac0b8b62115d1ac1482b37d46914.png

He’s taken into military custody where he is interrogated and studied by Luthor and a team of scientists. Disgusted by their actions, John Henry Irons quits on the spot. Furthermore, we learn that the monorail derailment was orchestrated by Luthor as a way to lure Superman out for capture.

Lois shows up to confront her father with irrefutable evidence that Superman saved everyone on the monorail. As the two argue, Corben tries to jump in to speak with Lois but she’s more interested in Superman.

Meanwhile, Superman breaks frees (he just needed time to regain his strength) and fights his way through the military facility where he eventually finds his rocket ship and escapes with it.

Clark returns to Smallville to inspect the rocket ship with his parents who confirm it’s the same one from the night they found him. He’s able to “activate" it and holographic images appear-- digital memories of his parents JOR-EL and LARA that he recognizes from his dreams. Later, Martha helps him create his classic suit from materials inside the rocket.

After seeing Superman in action, and how Lois sided with him, Corben urges General Lane to fast-track Project Steel Soldier and volunteers to be the first pilot. In a procedure overseen by DR. EMMETT VALE, Corben fuses with the Metal-Zero suit. As he becomes METALLO, his heart bursts but he still manages to survive the process with his mind and body now corrupted by Brainiac who reveals its master plan to General Lane and Luthor:

metallo.jpg

Brainiac is a cosmic collector, responsible for the destruction of Krypton and countless other worlds. It corrupted Krypton’s infrastructure where it first received its name Brainiac. On Earth, it was called the Internet. With Metallo and the army of METAL MEN created for Project Steel Soldier, Brainiac will prepare the Earth for its final preservation before its destruction (sequel bait).

Major weapons systems across the globe are shut down while mundane machines with Internet access transform into Metal Men and begin collecting valuable artifacts like the Mona Lisa, keeping people in their homes, etc. (think the climax from I, Robot).

Superman turns to John Henry, who wears a prototype STEEL suit that he designed in secret, and the two face against Metallo and the Metal Men to save Metropolis, and the world!

superman-worlds-finest.jpg

In the end, Luthor threatens to destroy the world, knowing that Brainiac cannot allow Earth to be destroyed before it can upload all its history and culture. It’s a risky gamble but buys Superman enough time to upload a virus created by Dr. Irons to expel Brainiac’s influence on Metallo (and the internet), and save Earth…for now. Metallo surrenders to the US government and is placed in stasis until they can figure out a way to save him.

Later, Clark Kent joins Lois and Jimmy at the Daily Planet with Mannheim now arrested and charged. It’s revealed that this was all part of Luthor’s plan—give Clark information (some of which he planted / orchestrated himself) to help takedown his biggest business rival and let him take the fall so that Luthor’s company LexCorp can amass more power and influence.

As the film concludes, Superman holds a conference in front of the gathered press at Centennial Park where he introduces himself formally to the world.

191210-superman-identity-revealed-al-1531.jpg

END

In a mid-credit sequence, VRIL DOX is shown inside his classic SKULL SHIP somewhere out in the cosmos. He sets course for Earth…

brainiac.jpg_554688468.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing both Guardians films and TSS, Peacemaker. Gunn seems to really like alien threats.

GOTG its obvious but Peacemaker and TSS were both choices he made so I wouldn't be shocked if Lobo was the villain.

Otherwise Brainiac obviously makes sense (maybe not for the first film) Mongul is a cool one but again based on The description it seems like its a story that will mostly be on Earth.

Gunn's skill with alien threats that are both weird and wacky yet still freaky and unsettling is one of the elements of his work that makes me excited for his take on Superman. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't a major factor in the story.

I'll bet money they'll be an alien threat of some type.
It may be in the background in the first film so Lex and ( whatever threat he creates ) can do their thing, but it's presence will definitely be felt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"