Jessica Jones Jessica Jones FULL SEASON ONE Discussion Thread (BEWARE, SPOILERS GALORE!)

I am just getting into this. It kinda fell under my radar when it first came out but Daredevil reminded me so I am just watching it. Gotta say, I am loving it. Easily the most mature piece of work that Marvel has done thus far. It is very cool in a gritty noir type of way. Also, how creepy is Tennant?

The one thing I notice, and I don't know if anyone else had this experience, despite being on Netflix, the show is not bingeable. I can watch one episode at a time and feel satisfied. I tried two and I almost became...emotionally worn out (for lack of better wording). Perhaps it is due to the recurring themes of rape, domestic abuse, etc. It just makes it too much of a downer to binge watch.

The one thing I notice, and I don't know if anyone else had this experience, despite being on Netflix, the show is not bingeable. I can watch one episode at a time and feel satisfied. I tried two and I almost became...emotionally worn out (for lack of better wording). Perhaps it is due to the recurring themes of rape, domestic abuse, etc. It just makes it too much of a downer to binge watch.
I was expecting that to happen to me, with shows like Law and Order SVU where I watch a part of one episode I loose faith in humanity for at least a week. But with JJ I felt it was a lot more subtle, avoided shock value, and played with overall themes much better that it didn't stop me from watching all of season 1 as soon as I can. Still I find myself not wanting to re-watch it. I honestly could not expect that subject matter to be handled than they did. Well done.

I was expecting that to happen to me, with shows like Law and Order SVU where I watch a part of one episode I loose faith in humanity for at least a week. But with JJ I felt it was a lot more subtle, avoided shock value, and played with overall themes much better that it didn't stop me from watching all of season 1 as soon as I can. Still I find myself not wanting to re-watch it. I honestly could not expect that subject matter to be handled than they did. Well done.

Oh it is VERY well done. You are right, it is much more subtle and certainly not played for shock. Plus Kilgrave. God...he is terrifying. Perfectly charming, til he's not. It is such a raw and real portrayal of domestic abusers. I think the fact that it is so subdued and lacking in over the top shock value makes it almost harder to watch as it comes off as so much more authentic.

I couldn't binge watch this. It had to be a weekly show for me, and that was enough. I also didn't feel I wanted to know so much more like with DD. I was happy to let this unfold slowly over 13 weeks. It was probably too emotionally draining.

While I still binge watched, I agree. I could not immediately hit play on the next episode. I often had to take a 10-15 minute break (especially early on when things were really creepy).

I gleefully binge-watched, leaning head-first, right into some serious emotional scar tissue. :)

I watched 1 or 2 episodes every other day or every week. I can't sit and watch for very long anyhow. I did not watch this in English either, which might make me an outlier, but I still think the show was hands-down one of the best superhero shows I've ever seen. (I actually switched to English at one point to see how it sounded and thought Jessica's voice was so much sexier in French). Thank you Netflix for dubbing :)

I re-upped with Netflix for DD season 2 and just finished JJ. I didn't care for the shows with Killgrave in the elaborate high tech prison, and while I love Rosario Dawson I thought her involvement in the show was very clumsily handled. But I absolutely loved the relationship between Trish and Jess. And I can't think of anther genre show - or any show, period - that has handled rape, domestic violence, child abuse and abortion in such a mature and non-tittilating fashion. Very well done.

Any chance JJ would make it onto an Avengers movie? I'd watch that.

Its taken me months to finish it but I finally have. I thought this show was average at best, its very dull and dragged out for far longer than it needed to. Not a patch on Daredevil. Its a shame because I really wanted to like it.

5/10

Last edited:
I watched the whole series in a single sitting, as soon as it came out. So yeah, I thought it was very easy to binge.

I decided to rewatch this in preparation for Luke Cage. I haven't watched it after the first time during one weekend. I thought then that this was good, but perhaps not my thing.

Well, scratch that, because this time I watched this one episode a day and found the series amazing. I even liked the scenes with non-essential characters. This show had a lot of things to say and it used it's characters well. Especially Jessica. Really looking forward to seeing her again. :)

But I am still bitter about how they wasted a perfect chance to go full Purple Man in the last episode. :/

I absolutely love this show and the characters and acting are great.

Does anyone else think though that the show avoided her flying** powers too much?

*Anytime* she jumped it was off screen. Or am i mistaken?

** Did she say at some point that she can't actually fly? Have the producers say they've changed this to leaping great distances?

Last edited:
I absolutely love this show and the characters and acting are great.

Does anyone else think though that the show avoided her flying** powers too much?

Overtime she jumped it was off screen. Or am i mistaken?

** Did she say at some point that she can't actually fly? Have the producers say they've changed this to leaping great distances?

I'm pretty sure it's just super jumping in this series. At no point did she actually fly.

They never claimed she could fly, but that scene where she jumped and vanished while in the suburbs almost seemed to be flying. I'm not sure I could find another explanation.

I'm pretty sure it's just super jumping in this series. At no point did she actually fly.

Yes, I know, but in the comic she can. This why I asked did Jessica say at one point she can't actually fly. I believe it was in response to something Trish said.

They never claimed she could fly, but that scene where she jumped and vanished while in the suburbs almost seemed to be flying. I'm not sure I could find another explanation.

As I said above, no she doesn't fly but it is one of her powers in the comics. I was referring to flying/leaping because I wasn't sure whether the producers had stated that they've changed it from flying to leaping.

Anyway, they seemed to want to keep that ability off camera. Was it simply save money?

It was intended to make her a little more grounded, not to save money. That being said, I still don't think there's an explanation for that one scene unless she managed to actually fly instead of leap.

I am 90% certain she can't fly. However, she can jump a *lot* better than she usually does, because she's intended to be stronger than the season really communicated properly. I thus have no problem with the idea that when she actually jumps as hard as she can, she can land more than a block away on the other side of a building. I just hope they don't have her get knocked out by a 2x4 again, even if it is on a bad day when she's in bad shape.

It was intended to make her a little more grounded, not to save money. That being said, I still don't think there's an explanation for that one scene unless she managed to actually fly instead of leap.

No please - that word is my Kryptonite. :drl:

I have never understood why Hollywood needs to use the word "grounded" about a fantasy. The Marvel movies aren't grounded and they've done just fine.

I don't think anyone who sits down to watch superhero movies and TV is going to find the notion of leaping tall buildings to be ridiculous. They aren't holding back on showing Luke Cage's powers and Daredevil has people coming back from the dead.

However, thanks for clearing up the reason. :cwink:

I think that Jessica Jones is still the best netflix show we have gotten. Just ordered my copy on blu-ray to add to my collection. I think the Purple Man is a great villain and only makes me wish that some MCU movie villains could reach that level of menacing/terrifying.

This show was so good. Just watched the season in just over 24 hours (including a sleep and watching a couple of other things :D). What a great start the Marvel Netflix universe made with this and DD.

I am just getting into this. It kinda fell under my radar when it first came out but Daredevil reminded me so I am just watching it. Gotta say, I am loving it. Easily the most mature piece of work that Marvel has done thus far. It is very cool in a gritty noir type of way. Also, how creepy is Tennant?
Agreed, loved it. And what a villain Tennant was!

I binge watched it for the 2nd time in just over 24 hours but I can understand that some might find it hard to do as there are some unpleasant and heavy themes throughout, especially compared to other comic book properties.

marvel-nycc-tv-posters-004-1027442.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"