Jessica Jones Jessica Jones FULL SEASON ONE Discussion Thread (BEWARE, SPOILERS GALORE!)

If so inclined, I suppose one could question the value of any sex scene in any adult-themed movie or TV show.

Really?

- Learning about characters
- Grounding the show in reality
- Creating bonds to exploit for storytelling later
- Bonding the audience to the characters through their vulnerability
- Creating a reason to give one character access to another's stuff
- Other stuff I can't be bothered to list...

The sex scenes in Jessica Jones didn't do that, outside of the first one, the second and third ones, really didn't serve any purpose. It was bad writing. Sex can be written well, or written poorly. JJ was usually the latter.

Presumably the same way that screwing with his brain shuts down the commands: his powers have a psychic component. The virus is a carrier, but his brain needs to be operating properly in order to send/maintain commands. Otherwise, dosing him with an anaesthetic wouldn't cancel out commands either.

That's a good point... now, I feel like they didn't think his powers out in the show exceptionally well. There should be a limit to his range to maintain commands if there's a psychic component, especially since his range to give commands is so small. Weird.

Really?

- Learning about characters
- Grounding the show in reality
- Creating bonds to exploit for storytelling later
- Bonding the audience to the characters through their vulnerability
- Creating a reason to give one character access to another's stuff
- Other stuff I can't be bothered to list...

The sex scenes in Jessica Jones didn't do that, outside of the first one, the second and third ones, really didn't serve any purpose. It was bad writing. Sex can be written well, or written poorly. JJ was usually the latter.

As I recall… Jessica and Luke’s first “encounter” was lustful and wild - not especially romantic. But with the second (after they know about each other’s abilities and share - as it were - a common bond) there’s more intimate talk, cuddling and actual kissing. So in terms of the “cinematic grammar,” these sex scenes are telling part of the story. Likewise, the (shall we say?) “mechanics” of the intimacy between Trish and Simpson indicates raw lust rather than a blossoming love (a significant distinction for the narrative to establish).

Now, one might argue that these scenes could have been handled in a PG-13 fashion: just suggest the imminent sex act; but before things get too hot-and-heavy, tastefully cut to the post-coital cigarette. :word: However, this is a complaint that would apply to any adult series (True Blood, Rome, Game of Thrones, etc.). So unless there’s blanket disapproval for all of them, I’m not sure that there are grounds to single out Jessica Jones for special outrage. Indeed, I don’t think there was any nudity in JJ; so it was probably less graphic than some other adult shows.

Highly likely I'm interviewing Rachael Taylor next week. Looking forward to it.

My theory. Jessica placed her only mental block on Killgraves power. Normally you can't force through hypnotism. Jessica committing murder both devastated and appalled her so much.
She on both a conscious and subconscious level swore to never obey again. Also she may share factors from being experimented on by same organization as Killgrave .

Reaching for plausible straws

Love this show. I hope they announce season two SOON!

As I recall… Jessica and Luke’s first “encounter” was lustful and wild - not especially romantic. But with the second (after they know about each other’s abilities and share - as it were - a common bond) there’s more intimate talk, cuddling and actual kissing. So in terms of the “cinematic grammar,” these sex scenes are telling part of the story. Likewise, the (shall we say?) “mechanics” of the intimacy between Trish and Simpson indicates raw lust rather than a blossoming love (a significant distinction for the narrative to establish).

Now, one might argue that these scenes could have been handled in a PG-13 fashion: just suggest the imminent sex act; but before things get too hot-and-heavy, tastefully cut to the post-coital cigarette. :word: However, this is a complaint that would apply to any adult series (True Blood, Rome, Game of Thrones, etc.). So unless there’s blanket disapproval for all of them, I’m not sure that there are grounds to single out Jessica Jones for special outrage. Indeed, I don’t think there was any nudity in JJ; so it was probably less graphic than some other adult shows.

Don't for get Spartacus which the comic industry has been getting actor's for their show like arrow of all things. so it's obvious they were watching stuff like these.

cause of comment like these from you guess it people in the industry of comic's and tv

Examplein this video below
James Gunn (Cameo)

Writer/Director James Gunn talks about Spartacus

^^ like james gun said he live the show cause of how out with the sex scenes

there's a reason I said what I said. this what these writers them selves are watching and the also seek out others that seem to enjoy these things and obsess about these thing as well at times like when they see jack buer from 24 or bristo (victor Garbers character Jack Bristo from alias) torture some and they forget that he also got info from someone with out doing that but by trickery once cause torture wasn't effective

but cause they see people talking that torture scene in certain forum's or message boards (ala punishes) more often it make them go. So this is what audiences are into? ok cool.

And we get some character like Oliver in arrow being taught torture is the best method to use to get info out of person and the fact it's overly controversial

see some posters say how it was this or that in an excited way as if it was the coolest thing everrrrrrrrrrr.

Last edited:
Don't for get Spartacus which the comic industry has been getting actor's for their show like arrow of all things. so it's obvious they were watching stuff like these.

cause of comment like these from you guess it people in the industry of comic's and tv

Examplein this video below
James Gunn (Cameo)

Writer/Director James Gunn talks about Spartacus

^^ like james gun said he live the show cause of how out with the sex scenes

there's a reason I said what I said. this what these writers them selves are watching and the also seek out others that seem to enjoy these things and obsess about tese thing as well at times like when they see jack buer or bristo (victor garbers character Jack bristo from alias) torture some and they forget that he also got info from someone with out doing that but by trickery once cause torture wasn't effective

but cause they see people talking that (torture scene ala punishes) more it make them go. So this what audiences are into? ok cool. and we get some character like Oliver in arrow being thought torture is the best method to use to get info that and the fact it's overly controversial see some poster say how it was this or that in an excited way as if it was the coolest thing everrrrrrrrrrr.

I can't understand any points you are trying to make at all. I don't think you have enough of a grasp of English to understand us either, and how we aren't making points that are simply black and white, up or down, especially since I LOVED this show. For your own sake on these boards I really suggest you take more time translating your native language into English and brushing up on the language in general. It will only benefit you and us if you do so.

I have been really enjoying my binge watch of Jessica Jones Season 1 with a few annoying moments where decisions or behaviour really didn't make sense. Just watched episode 11, and that has really annoyed me..... in the scene at Jessicas apartment when Simpson shows up, then Trish, and they are in the bathroom, Simpson (when he sees Trish is about to take a red) clearly tells them that she will need a blue to come down otherwise her brain will forget to tell her lungs to breathe. So when she starts choking, why is Jessica standing there going 'what's happening' that is just ridiculous.

Uh... Huh...

I can't understand any points you are trying to make at all. I don't think you have enough of a grasp of English to understand us either, and how we aren't making points that are simply black and white, up or down, especially since I LOVED this show. For your own sake on these boards I really suggest you take more time translating your native language into English and brushing up on the language in general. It will only benefit you and us if you do so.
No, I under stand you fine. And I'm English one of the few still living in Quebec for now. which the french speaker population are trying their hardest to kick most English speaking Canadians out cause they want some weird separatist nation.

My parent's came from Nygria. I'm north American English born good a good lot my cousin are mixed from y father side and were born here too. Just cause I live in Quebec means nothing. you can't choose where your born. don't assume please.

The issue here is that no matter what I show you and say that the writers are in a mindset that they want another crowed other then the usual people that don't read comic's are into super hero isn't reaching you.
They want that crowd that's into more adult themes nothing more and nothing less.

Alias wasn't made for the usual super hero crowd and they want to makes show similar to what you'd see in stuff like shows Rescue me or Spartacus to make a point to the public that usually writes comic's or story's from off . That to them is what they want is broader viewer ship and in turn people that typically wouldn't touch the books, to start looking into those books.

but never mind, it'll just have you Irritated unless you speak directly to those people your self. I'm done.

The Dr. is alot closer to understanding what they are up to. which I was trying point at.

Last edited:
My theory. Jessica placed her only mental block on Killgraves power. Normally you can't force through hypnotism. Jessica committing murder both devastated and appalled her so much.
She on both a conscious and subconscious level swore to never obey again. Also she may share factors from being experimented on by same organization as Killgrave .

Reaching for plausible straws
It's not real hypnotism though. It's a chemical virus caused by particles in the air that Kilgrave gives off.

It's not real hypnotism though. It's a chemical virus caused by particles in the air that Kilgrave gives off.
It's a combo of both. So he's /she's not far off ,and the book's they did use telepathy's to help her make mental blocks to defeat him and it's stated in his bio's and the books. if you have them? which this story of this show is loosely inspired from.

As one of the measure to defeating him. it's was just vague in the show. All cause they didn't explain it properly and also due to the fact they couldn't use jean grey.

mocomic isn't far off other wise.

Last edited:
it's a combo of both. So he's /she's not far off and the book's they did use telepathy's to help her make metal blocks to defeat him and it stated in his bio's and tbe book if you have them. which this story of this show is loosely inspired from. as one of the measure to defeating him. it's was just vague in the show. All cause they didn't explain it properly and also due to the fact they couldn't use jean grey.

mocomic isn't far off other wise.
There's no telepathy there, and there's no concrete proof she has telepathic blocks. Even the notion that killing Reva helped her break his grip is vague at best. It was never clear how she was able to do it.

There's no telepathy there, and there's no concrete proof she has telepathic blocks. Even the notion that killing Reva helped her break his grip is vague at best. It was never clear how she was able to do it.
I didn't say there was with in the show. I said there was in the books to stop him from doing so when Jessica defeated him in the books. it's one of his stated weakness's. That's all I said.

in the show as mocomic tried to explain that Jessica made her own mental blocks. In the books Jean was called by shield to help with Jessica's therapy and put mental blocks with in jessica with jean's own telepathy, All so Jessica would have fighting chance against killgrave or any one similar.

As I said they couldn't use jean for obvious reason's and it was left vague in the show. but mocomic said Jessica developed her own mental blocks

the word mocomic said was "mental blocks" that's the word here. which wasn't made clear with in the show on how Jessica defeated killgrave. Mocomic is just coming up with a explanation. That's all.

Last edited:
This isn't the motion comic. There was no word about mental blocks in the show.

This isn't the motion comic. There was no word about mental blocks in the show.
Well I didn't say anything about the motion comic. ( I didn't know one existed) I have the max series of book "Alias " of which this show is adapted from.

Any way all Mocomic said and he's making his own interpretation from both that source material and show that jessica created her own mental blocks as an explanation to how she defeated him in the show. The show it's self in reality still left it vague.

I'm just explaining what mocomic is saying. but I'll let him do it from here.

Last edited:
I didn't think it was as good as Daredevil. The whole Trinity affair plot was totally pointless to me, and just about every character seemed to change their mind whenever the story needed it. Malcolm kicked a drug habit quicker than anyone, ever. I'll be disappointed if Nuke is definitely dead. Killing Kilgrave was dumb. I dunno, I just thought most characters were poorly written, or not well written enough. The action sequences weren't very good. Patsy taking a red was needless. I could go on.

I didn't think it was as good as Daredevil. The whole Trinity affair plot was totally pointless to me, and just about every character seemed to change their mind whenever the story needed it. Malcolm kicked a drug habit quicker than anyone, ever. I'll be disappointed if Nuke is definitely dead. Killing Kilgrave was dumb. I dunno, I just thought most characters were poorly written, or not well written enough. The action sequences weren't very good. Patsy taking a red was needless. I could go on.

If you’re into “textual analysis,” this article is worth a read:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ones-shattering-exploration-addiction-control

On the subject of “red pills”…

The red pill – while hinting that Simpson might become Nuke in the Marvel universe – seems in this context to function also as an obvious reference to “red pillers”, men’s rights activists who see themselves as proud anti-feminists interested in dominance, traditional gender roles, and the subjugation of women, whose flaws make that subjugation necessary.

...Trish, for instance, does what many women dream of doing: she takes the red pill of male privilege and goes temporarily insane from the crack-like unreality it offers – power unfettered by morality or kindness or reflection. “Is this what it’s like for you?” she says to Jones.
:word:

Well I didn't say anything about the motion comic. ( I didn't know one existed) I have the max series of book "Alias " of which this show is adapted from.

Any way all Mocomic said and he's making his own interpretation from both that source material and show that jessica created her own mental blocks as an explanation to how she defeated him in the show. The show it's self in reality still left it vague.

I'm just explaining what mocomic is saying. but I'll let him do it from here.
You said "mocomic."

I can't post the link but you guys should check out the Oneofus.net audio review for this. It's about an hour long.

I'm halfway through the season so I can't form a full opinion on it yet. I really like the noir themes. Story seems to move, not much filler thank god. Lead makes a good angst-ridden, broken character. I have a few nit picks but it's not major, well maybe it is, the fight scenes, it reminds me of a novice Jason Bourne movie. It kind of throws me off in parts. I feel like it's getting better the more I watch. It's a decent show, nowhere near the excellence of Daredevil. I see hints of that though, I don't think Daredevil had this much bed hoping (I get that it's realistic and there's no nudity but still). Sometimes random. Looking forward to finishing this and eventually watching Luke Cage and S2 of Daredevil.

You said "mocomic."
oh my bad. Let me make that clear , the only mocomic I was speaking of was the member/poster of this forum , of which you answered him /her. in post #235 As I said in post before you and I started to converse, Last night and I was trying to say what he/she meant intention wise..

that is the name he or she chose for this forum. Mocomic

which is why I chose he or she in post : #240

I was never talking about motion comic. So I'm very sorry for the confusion but as said I didn't know one exsisted. I was talking about the poster I did say I have the max series of comic's called alias. but I never stated motion. I hope we're good. Are we?

Hmmm... it's possible that subtlety and lack of graphic nudity is why they were so disappointing. To me they all looked the same. Even what you're describing, raw lust, raw lust, raw lust with the beginnings of intimacy clarifies why I felt they were redundant. The idea that each culminated in a Reva-guilt crisis also underlined the repetitiveness of the scenes to me. I'm not sure why you're reading outrage from my disappointment though, that's weird.

Hmmm... it's possible that subtlety and lack of graphic nudity is why they were so disappointing. To me they all looked the same. Even what you're describing, raw lust, raw lust, raw lust with the beginnings of intimacy clarifies why I felt they were redundant. The idea that each culminated in a Reva-guilt crisis also underlined the repetitiveness of the scenes to me. I'm not sure why you're reading outrage from my disappointment though, that's weird.

Not directed at you, specifically. But whether it’s outrage or disapproval or squeamishness, more than a few folks have expressed criticism about The Sex.

I completed it last night and it is undoubtedly another home run for Marvel and Netflix, this medium is a gold mine for the MCU.

Jessica Jones herself is a fantastic character, both funny and tragic, a noble rough diamond who tries to cover her weaknesses with an armor of sarcasm and a bottle of whiskey. Kristen Ritter is raw and charismatic in the role, mixing an unusual combination of acidic cynicism and vulnerable heart.

Trish is as well fleshed out as Jessica, their dynamic is a triumph of writing and the two actresses talent, the fact their relationship is built both on their bond as sisters and their efforts to stop Kilgrave is refreshing, there was nothing "girly" about it, they were written very much as a male friendship would be in this type of genre.

Luke Cage? Oh yes! Moire hyped for his show after seeing him here, Colter is a perfect modern day Cage, a maverick badass with tremendous presence and a likable charm, his scenes with Jessica got better as the show went on, the standout being the one at the bus where she told him about killing his wife.

Then we have Kilgrave, an oddball and vile villain that has moments of genuine charm interrupted by the hideous, narcissistic sociopath man-child he really is the minute something isn't to his liking. Creepy, repulsive and menacing, his death was a welcome one! Tennant was brilliant in creating a character that had you on edge all of the time, as you said his presence was felt even when he wasn't onscreen.

The supporting cast were all good bar Ruben's sister who I found irritating. I'm thinking we could see Hogarth going up against Matt in DD season 2 if he takes her girlfriends case on, Simpson struck me as dodgy from the start, even when he turned face, just way to much of an intense Aryan poster child look about the dude. I'm guessing he becomes a comic book costume villain in season 2? Never worthy of Trish. :oldrazz: Malcolm will become Jessica's assistant at Alias investigations I think and I felt he had one of the shows best arcs.

The key thing here was that they put this great cast of characters and their dynamics into a multi layered and engrossing mystery noir with plenty of twists and turns, and filled to the brim with a foreboding atmosphere throughout that was helped by the haunting score. I loved it and found myself eager to watch the next ep as each one finished, like turning the pages of a good book all the way to a very satisfying conclusion that tied the heart of the show, Jessica & Trish's relationship, into finally stopping Kilgrave. :up:

I'm guessing season 2 will see JJ and Trish going after IGH and Simpson returning in some sort of super soldier form. Looking forward to it! :)

Highly likely I'm interviewing Rachael Taylor next week. Looking forward to it.

Not typically into the tall, picturesque blondes. But she's gorgeous. Good luck speaking in complete sentences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"