Jessica Jones Jessica Jones FULL SEASON ONE Discussion Thread (BEWARE, SPOILERS GALORE!)

Just finished the show. I really liked it. Kristen does a messed up person very well. One thing that bugged me was how many damn locks Jessica busted to show her strength in the first half of the show. A lot of her other feats of strength just seemed off to me, like it messed up my suspension of disbelief or something. Luke was awesome, can't wait for his show. I still like DD better but Netflix and Marvel are a match made in heaven.

Just finished this show, and man is it hard to binge watch. It's so dark and intimate that I can only take in small chunks, similar to the Leftovers.

Whereas DD started strongly and ended weakly, JJ was a show that starts a bit slow and really begins to find its pace later on and wraps up its story rather nicely. It doesn't move at a breakneck pace, but I think there was a deliberateness in how Rosenberg and co. moved all the characters around.

The deaths in the show really messed me up as well as how deeply it tackled themes like rape culture, and I really give the show props for going there. It's really taking advantage of the medium of Netflix.

Ritter and Tennant were fantastic, and I think Tennant easily tops D'Onofrio's performance as Kingpin, and by that extension, tops basically everyone else in the MCU. What a steal for the TV division of Marvel to bring in such talent to portray such a terrifying villain. I wasn't really terrified of Fisk since he was your typical villain with a soft side (that eventually just kinda degenerated into a man child) but with Kilgrave...Tennant brought a bit of the Joker in there I feel like. The absolute lack of morality just shocked me and over and over again. The deaths were really disturbing in the show. (Kilgrave was also man child but the way he brought about chaos was much more frightening and imposing than Kingpin)

I understand the lack of fight scenes kinda knocking this down a few notches because it's definitely not your typical hero affair, but I still really enjoyed the show.

It was really good to see Carrie-Anne Moss again. Really haven't seen her since Disturbia, and she was just a pleasure to see act. Hogarth was a real jerk, but you can't help but feel sorry for how her story ended. I wonder if ol' Nelson and Murdock will take on Pam's case. That would be an interesting way to handle things. Hell, what if Hogarth was a former partner or lawyer at the firm that Matt and Foggy interned at while they were in law school? That'd be a nice easter egg too. Oh, and great to see Rosario Dawson again. Did not expect to see her (or the mayor from the Leftovers there too)

Either way, great show. Can't wait for Luke Cage and DD Season 2!

I will say this, I completely agree with Marvel's decision to off Kilgrave. By the final episode having a man with that much power in the MCU would have been a bad idea. As much as I'll miss Tennant because he was awesome I wholeheartedly agree with the decision. Reminds me of the episode on EMH where Purple Man makes Iron Man take over the world basically

I will say this, I completely agree with Marvel's decision to off Kilgrave. By the final episode having a man with that much power in the MCU would have been a bad idea. As much as I'll miss Tennant because he was awesome I wholeheartedly agree with the decision. Reminds me of the episode on EMH where Purple Man makes Iron Man take over the world basically
I agree with the decision, but not so much with the reasoning. I don't think keeping him around because of his power is a problem. I just feel like his story has been told, anything more would be retreading the same ground. I feel the MCU does a great job exploring villains completely and then willing try something new for the next one. I'll miss Tennant because he's such a great performer, but I won't miss Kilgrave. The entire first season focused on him and, no pun intended, he's been done to death. I'm really excited to see what they come up with in season 2.

I'm wondering if there will be a season 2. I can see after Defenders, DD has his show still going but it just makes sense to put JJ, Luke and Danny into Heroes for Hire. I would totally welcome season 2 of JJ but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they end up doing. Then again, the whole street level/Netflix shows are completely new territory. If they keep knocking them out of the park like this and are successful for both Marvel and Netflix who's to say they don't have 4 or 5 new shows/season coming out each year similar to their plans with the movies? That would be insanely awesome

tumblr_nzbprzGru61qj9cp6o7_250.gif

Just finished the season, very good. Totally an about face from DD's run, which is a good thing as so many TV superhero series have a cookie-cutter feel to them.

Was a bit confused tho' with Jessica's power levels, they seemed to fluctuate some, and was wondering; is her drinking to blame for that?

Finished the series last night and man it was a dark series to watch. The cutting scenes were particularly brutal and difficult to watch.

Overall, the series was very good. I was really hoping Kilgrave's skin would have turned purple after his father gave him the injection. Tennant as Kilgrave was incredible. He really knows how to play a likable, creepy, and disturbing character all at the same time.

I actually hope there isn't a season two but they go with Heroes for Hire. I loved Luke Cage and the neighbor/sidekick.

Was a bit confused tho' with Jessica's power levels, they seemed to fluctuate some, and was wondering; is her drinking to blame for that?

My guess would be sort of. She probably tries to rein in her power so she doesn't overdo it and kill/destroy (sorry Reva!) but with the booze she doesn't always have great control.

Sort of like how when you're camping and trying to open bottle caps using the wheel well of your truck but you've had like 5 and instead of taking the cap off you rip the whole top of the bottle off.

Finally finished the season. I thought it was great. A bunch of topics that the Marvel movies wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

Also Kilgrave seemed like the villain that Ultron should have been. Sophisticated but utterly evil and menacing.

Can't wait to see JJ and DD team up with the rest.

Very exciting, intriguing, and satisfying story. I got very invested in Jessica's journey right from the get-go.

Really late to the game with this show, but then again, I was around a month late with DD as well. Any who:

I thought it was great. I hope it gets another season to iron out some of the rough patches it had, just like DD did. She'll most likely be showing up in Luke Cage at some point, so it's not as big a deal, but it deserves the praise it's been getting. Or just continue it in a Heroes for Hire show once Luke Cage and Iron Fist come out. Even if it's not the main focus, the stuff with how Jessica got her powers and Simpson still being alive is a good subplot.

It's different enough from AoS and DD to put it in it's own category, thus makes it hard to compare to them. I wish they kept her narrating episodes a little more consistently, but that didn't hurt it from the overall quality of the show. I loved the soundtrack. The only time it felt out of place was when she climbed the top of the bridge to get a view of NYC.

Noir-ish in it's approach, the slow pacing and characterizations were really well done and every one of them were all ****ed up or dealing with their own issues. Kilgrave's obsession was down right creepy from her having to send photos or buying her childhood home on top of recreating it down to the detail. Tennant knocked his performance out of the park, IMO, so it was sad to see them waste a greatly developed villain even if his death was greatly satisfying.

I finally watched Jessica Jones. I felt the last 3 episodes or so lost the momentum the show had build up and could have just been a 10 episode series. I just think the show was at it's peak when:
Kilgrave is captured and the show becomes to deconstruct superheroes and begins to ask questions regarding morals and heroism

I'm wondering if there will be a season 2. I can see after Defenders, DD has his show still going but it just makes sense to put JJ, Luke and Danny into Heroes for Hire. I would totally welcome season 2 of JJ but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they end up doing. Then again, the whole street level/Netflix shows are completely new territory. If they keep knocking them out of the park like this and are successful for both Marvel and Netflix who's to say they don't have 4 or 5 new shows/season coming out each year similar to their plans with the movies? That would be insanely awesome

It really doesn't make sense to put JJ, Luke and Danny into Heroes for Hire because the Defenders (a non-profit street team) will exist. And business wise, it makes no sense to build up three individual IPs only to combine them into one. I'm pretty sure Marvel is playing the long term game for JJ, LC and IF and not just DD.

I think Season 2 will be all about Nuke and IGH and it's ties to Jessica's origin. Bring in the Power Broker and Karl Malus as the big bads.

Very exciting, intriguing, and satisfying story. I got very invested in Jessica's journey right from the get-go.

Same. Agreed word for word. Can't wait to see the IGH storyline in a possible season 2.

Finished this recently. Very good series, strong cast, well developed themes. Ritter and Tennant were perfect.

I do think it was a bit rough aroud the edges. It felt more like standard TV than Daredevil which did a wonderful job establishing an identity. This show could have benefitted greatly from another pass on the scripts to tighten up the progression of the story. I felt like it dipped up and down quite a lot, and frankly I spent a long time a bit detached from Jessica because I didn't understand or believe her reluctance to kill Killgrave. It didn't go noir enough for me either, visually. This show deserved to be more beautifully filmed.

I did really enjoy it by the end. I miss it now it's gone.

Loved it. But, at times it was difficult to watch. Not because it was bad, but because of the subject matter and scenes of Killgrave's villainy. I hope that there is a second season.

My main quibble is that no-one considers using ear plugs at any time before the finale. It's something my partner who isn't familiar with comic book tropes questioned as soon as Killgtave's powers were demonstrated on screen. I know that he was a virus of sorts, but ear plugs still seem like a decent idea at least until Killgrave's commands a third party to remove them.

Killgrave's repeated escapes were also a little irksome. But, I didn't mind it too much.

Oh. And Jessica's flying also seemed inconsistent. I'm not sure what floor Trish lived on, but it seemed pretty high (20th floor) and Jessic was able to get up that high pretty easily. And even carrying Killgrave, Jessica somehow "flew" away from Simpson. I understand that they probably couldn't budget for a flying hero (or that it may not have matched the tone of the series), but a little more clarity about her flight abilities would have been good. Even if they just said that Jessica chose not to fly because she was unskilled and worried about hurting someone or because the act of flying left her physically exhausted.

I started watching JJ a little bit later than most people did, but I just finished it a few days ago, and it did not disappoint!!!!!

After Binge-watching Daredevil season one, I didnt think Marvel could make another show that would even conpete with DD. But once I watched Jessica Jones I was really suprised. I cant tell which show i liked better. They were both pretty damn dark and VERY interesting. I really loved both of them but Id have to say I liked Daredevil better. But Jessica Jones is still one of my favorite shows and by far one of the best superhero shows made. I really enjoyed watching it just as much as i enjoyed watching DD.

I give it a 9/10 as well as DD!!! (Krysten Ritter and David Tennant are damn good actors and made the show much better than it would've been!!!)

Really wanted the comic series, and I'm usually not a stickler for other adaptation. Just feel they didn't grasp her character that well. If they would've done that, they could've had her going up against Mandrill or some silly mind-controller. Heh.

I give it a 7.5. The acting was a bit hammy at times. I needed conviction from these character, but they bounced all over the place. Trish was the only one that made sense to me, and she wasn't Hellcat, technically. It's odd that I give it that much. It felt like a betrayal of a couple characterizations in this interpretation. But I feel I'm giving it a fair score by pulling back and taking the story as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"