Jim Cameron switches gears into the space mining industry (yes, you read that right)

obin_gam

Sidekick
Reaction score
:wow: This guy have seriously too much money and time on his hands :whatever: [BLACKOUT](altho it sounds cool as hell!)[/BLACKOUT]

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/18/2...pace-exploration-company-james-cameron-google
MIT's Technology Review has just gotten news of a mysterious new project that claims it will "create a new industry and a new definition of 'natural resources.'" Space exploration company Planetary Resources will be unveiled in a conference call on Tuesday, April 24th. Besides the audacious announcement, which promises to "overlay two critical sectors — space exploration and natural resources — to add trillions of dollars to the global GDP," what makes this unique is its high-profile support group. The venture is backed by Google executives Larry Page and Eric Schmidt, director James Cameron, and politician Ross Perot's son, among others.

We're left to ponder, however, what Planetary Resources will actually do. Technology Review speculates that the project is an asteroid mining operation, reasoning that the other natural resources we need — an Earth-like habitat and supply of fossil fuels — aren't going to be found in space any time soon. Looking at the evidence, asteroid mining seems pretty likely at this point, especially since X Prize founder and perpetual optimist Peter Diamandis is at the head of the operation. In 2005, Diamandis appeared at TED describing an extraterrestrial environment where "everything we hold of value on this planet — metal and minerals and real estate and energy" are available in "infinite quantities." He specifically singled out asteroid mining, claiming that he could finance mining a "20 trillion dollar" asteroid full of nickel-iron alloy by speculating in the precious metals market.

Next week, we'll be finding out for certain what's going on, and then Planetary Resources will have to start actually making good on its impressive claims. The event will apparently be streamed, and tickets are being sold on the Museum of Flight's page, although the information there makes no mention of a new company.
logo
y3Fb2.jpg

We're living in the future people! :woot:

Neat, if true. Much as I want this to happen, it wont be easy. It brings to mind the saying "You need to spend money to make money." It wont be easy to get this project off the ground.

Still, if it works, I want to buy stock in this company.

Space mining usually leads to only good things...right?

I will be positive to a project of this size no matter how much money it feels like just got wasted. Saw an interview with the creator of Paypal for couple of days ago where he talked about his new company SPACEX which is a private spacefaring company which is working with NASA for a future Mars trip. His reason, he said, and he was well aware that the problems on earth was more important than space exploring, was that we (as a human race) need hopes and goals sometimes, and not just depressing facts about the environments decline all the time. And I agree with that sentiment completely.

Last edited:
As I said before, James Cameron is far more than just a director. The guy can do everything.

James Cameron has the most severe case of ADD on the planet.

Nothing against Cameron, but I think he'd be the world's first supervillain.

Space Mining is definitely a unique idea though.

I volunteer to go with Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck on the first trip.

All this bollocks with searching the depths of the ocean and now space mining...James Cameron is first and foremost an artist, the dude should be concentrating on making movies, let other people and organisations, who cannot make great movies, spearhead this kind of thing.

Yes, finally. Brace yourselves for a boom in technological advancement in the next few years.

All this bollocks with searching the depths of the ocean and now space mining...James Cameron is first and foremost an artist, the dude should be concentrating on making movies, let other people and organisations, who cannot make great movies, spearhead this kind of thing.

You should do a little digging and see that he's been doing explorations for years now.

You should do a little digging and see that he's been doing explorations for years now.

No, I know he has been into all the sea exploration stuff for well over a decade now, he got into all that when he was doing Titanic(I guess anyway), and in the years between Titanic and Avatar, he was filming under the ocean, did a documentry about it etc etc...but imagine if he had continued making movies in that time?!!
Other people can do those jobs, not many have the skills, and the position in hollywood, to be making massive budgeted entertaining sci-fi films, that is what the world should be getting from JC, that is what he was put here for, so we can all slob out in front of the telly watching the good sh**.

Why limit himself? He has the ambition and resources to do those things... why not? Why not be a film maker, explorer and philanthropist?

Lots of people can make great movies. Few people can move science forward.

Maybe space mining and the revenue it creates will be the trick to finally get the economy moving. I hope.

because a person can only have one single defining attribute apparently. no more can a man be multidimensional and have different hobbies and life ambitions, oh no, he can only have one, and stick to it.

didn't james cameron kindda...INVENT the tech necessary to film Avatar the way he wanted? I'd say that at least puts him in the realm of being a scientist, and if not that an inventor.

As i said earlier though, there are not many people in the world who has the skills and resources afforded to him by hollywood like Cameron has.
He is not a scientist, he could be directing the crap out of movies as opposed to deep sea diving and whatnot. He already wasted over a decade pursuing that which could have easily have been done by others.
But that's what he wants to do :huh:.

As i said earlier though, there are not many people in the world who has the skills and resources afforded to him by hollywood like Cameron has.
He is not a scientist, he could be directing the crap out of movies as opposed to deep sea diving and whatnot. He already wasted over a decade pursuing that which could have easily have been done by others.

He doesn't need to be a scientist to help fund and oversee these type of advancements, don't be ridiculous.

didn't james cameron kindda...INVENT the tech necessary to film Avatar the way he wanted? I'd say that at least puts him in the realm of being a scientist, and if not that an inventor.

Yeah he co-invented a new camera that lets you pretty much look into a computer generated world. TinTin used it and now several other high profile directors are using it.
Also Cameron is a member of the NASA Advisory Council.

so I don't see the problem here. if he wants to do this instead of making movies than good for him, he's living his life to the fullest.

I'd rather have Cameron as a forward thinking investor than a filmmaker to be honest. His movies have been good, but I can certainly live without them.

I cant wait for the press conferance on tuesday!

let's just see where this goes, maybe cameron will shoot the first movie in space, f*** an alien, and maybe save a race of blue cat monkeys. the stars are the limits.

I love how people attempt to twist the angle of what I am saying to make me look ignorant

I don't have to twist very hard, I think you're doing a pretty good job of it yourself. :funny:

If James Cameron wants to step out of Hollywood and help fund these kinds of projects and expeditions and use his celebrity status to raise awareness and interest for them, then I back him 100%. The world needs this sort of stuff immeasurably more than it needs Avatar 2.

And bum, you say there are other people who can do this science stuff, but are there not other people to make movies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"