Cameron To Produce 3-D Thriller

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=1080

Academy Award-winning filmmaker James Cameron will produce a 3-D adventure thriller for Rogue Pictures. Rogue co-presidents Andrew Karpen and Andrew Rona made the announcement today.

Rogue has worldwide distribution rights to the as-yet-untitled feature and will make the movie with Mr. Cameron’s Earthship Productions, the production company that the filmmaker founded to advance his extensive underwater expeditions and documentary work of the past decade.

Emmy Award nominee Gary Johnstone will direct, from a script by John Garvin. Mr. Johnstone’s credits include telefilms and documentaries; he co-directed the Emmy Award-winning Expedition: Bismarck with Mr. Cameron. Andrew Wight, producer and expedition leader on all Earthship productions to date, will produce the film with Mr. Cameron.
Rogue senior vice president of production Adrienne Biddle is supervising the project for Messrs. Karpen and Rona. Rogue and Mr. Cameron will continue to evolve the script together as they search for a cast of actors who will be filmed in real caves in Mexico and Papua New Guinea.

The film will be shot with the 3-D Fusion camera system, developed by Mr. Cameron and Vince Pace. The HD/3-D lensing will allow the film to be theatrically released in both traditional theaters in 2-D and simultaneously in theaters equipped for digital 3-D exhibition.

The story takes place in the breathtaking world of cave diving, one of the last frontiers of exploration remaining on this planet. The film will explore the human mind as well as the underground depths, as the characters are stripped to their most primitive selves after they are trapped and lost deep below sea level. There, a father and son will struggle to survive and come to terms with each other in the most dangerous and unforgiving environment on Earth.

Mr. Cameron comments, “Earthship is a small guerrilla group that has proven itself capable of efficient production under the most intense conditions anywhere in the world. Expanding its mission statement to include features seemed a natural evolution. We decided to make a gritty, expedition-themed film using the 3-D cameras and techniques that we’ve developed. When we looked for a partner, Rogue seemed the best fit, because they really understood the type of picture we want to make. Plus, they’re genuine fans of film, so they’re fun to work with.”

Messrs. Karpen and Rona said, “The advances that James Cameron has made with this technology and with underwater capabilities are groundbreaking. This film will transport audiences into an undersea adventure charged with wonder and thrills.”

Rogue Pictures (www.roguepictures.com) is devoted to producing and distributing high-quality suspense, action, thriller, comedy, and urban entertainment with mainstream appeal and franchise potential.
Current and upcoming Rogue Pictures releases include Jet Li’s Fearless, starring Jet Li and directed by Ronny Yu; The Return, starring Sarah Michelle Gellar for director Asif Kapadia; Robert Ben Garant’s Balls of Fury, starring Dan Fogler, Christopher Walken, George Lopez, and Maggie Q; Dave Meyers’ remake of The Hitcher, produced by Michael Bay and starring Sean Bean, Sophia Bush, and Zachary Knighton; Edgar Wright’s Hot Fuzz, the new comedy from the Shaun of the Dead team; Neil Marshall’s DOOMSDAY; and Bryan Bertino’s Strangers, starring Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman.

Ok i get the whole "3D has come along way and looks cool in films now!" but what i dont get is how these films are going to make money, i dont have ANY 3d cinemas around me in 100miles of my house so how the hell are they going to market these films to the masses?

I'm not sure how I understand a cave diving movie would be a good 3-D movie?

Cameron has a lot to prove. He used to be one of the great blockbuster director out there, and damn he made a lot of money with his terminator franchise and his monumental titanic.

But he's been adsent for 10 years and a man can change a lot in the amount of time. And all of these projects all at once he is developping is BIG and could easily backfire on him.

And 3D everywhere, hasn't he learned from Lucas that sometime real can be better than CGI ? We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"