Jim Gordon As Batman a discussion

Dk1201

Civilian
Reaction score
I fear this thread may go nowhere but I feel I have to get my thoughts and frustrations out SOMEWHERE and here is a good place to do it. (warning this is long winded)

First and foremost I need to point out I don't mind change I honestly don't mind seeing different type of Batmen(I guess is the plural term) in comic or even other media (a Batman Battle for the Cowl video game where you get to choose bruce's successor I think would be an awesome game) but the comics since Batman 41 have been well crap. And my issue with Jim as batman isn't what everyone else's issue is (look Either A you accept Nolan's trilogy hook line and sinker meaning Anyone can be batman as Bruce himself said or B) your a hypocrite for not pointing out Nolan being wrong about that point) Nope for me it's because it was poorly written and even worse poorly executed.

Jim Gordon as Batman on paper actually makes a lot of sense. Personally if I had to choose who could replace Bruce he would be my second choice (first being Dick Grayson) think about it He is Ex marine so he clearly has some fighting skill he also probably has some stealth skills (due to military training) and he was a detective so he has detective skills. in fact if well written Jim as Batman could even rival some of my favorite Bruce as Batman and Dick as batman stories (the bronze age the lastest story in detective comics is really enjoyable) but I feel like due to Gotham's popularitiy Jim as Batman was forced on DC and well we got crap stories as a result. Personally there are three things that had they done would of made the story better.

1. Why Jim become Batman. Seriously Why again does he become batman? because he doesn't want anyone else to do it? seems a little weird personally if we are going to break the established rules and Put Jim in a batsuit I say go all the way. I Imagine a roof top meeting of Gordon Lucious Fox and Alfred explaining Bruce has Amensia he can't be batman anymore. I can picture Jim saying this

"Look when I first started I always felt deep in my gut I would one day go to Wayne manor and arrest Bruce for this but after seeing how Gotham changed and became worse I realized the only way to keep this city safe is to break the rules. in seems like decades ago but 5 years He I and Harvey dent made a promise on this roof top they are in some ways gone but I am here and it's my job to protect this city.. Lucius Alfred I am in."

I would of had Fox build the Suit and I would of had Alfred explain to Bruce who he was and let him hire Jim as a Private security consultant. it would be shades of Batman Beyond and Batman reborn but the idea works a heck of a lot better then officer Batman. (seriously in a semi real world gotham tries to be what politician would agree to officer batman honestly!) Jim would of course Have the penthouse sweet and to add spice to the mix I would have Damian train him. the idea of a Robin training batman would add a unique mix to things, or perhaps bringing in David Cain or Bane to teach Jim the ropes...

2. Bruce and Alfred's role in the story as much as Jim was poorly written Bruce and Alfred are AWEFUL. Sorry but they are. I get it wanting to protect your kid but to the demented extreme Alfred went to sending Damian away to make sure Bruce wouldn't suddenly remember are you kidding ME!! NO Alfred should of told bruce everything and Bruce still not remembering how to be Batman should of been smart enough to say Jim should be batman until I get my memories back. there done clean simple to the point. Have him go on a world quest to relearn his skills in Detective comics if we really want a Bruce centric storyline. letting Lucus take on the "Alfred" role for Jim's Batman. this nonsense of building Bruce and Julie's relationship only to destroy it is garbage. either give Bruce the happy ending and then reset the Dc clock in a year or so OR don't introduce Bruce's happy ending at all!

3. the villains Mr bloom is vaguely interesting as is the masked man in the bronze age story but Dick had Black Mask Two face etc as cwell as new villains like Proffesor Pyg personally I would of liked to have seen Jim take on Two Face or Killer croc. would of been harder on Two Face then bruce. Lighter?

I recently re read a few prodigal son stories and felt that Dick was largely written wrong in those and it took a second time for them to get it right. My guess is in a few years they will possibly bring Jim back under the cowl and maybe they will do it right at that time.

Like I said the Suit the armor and the idea is all great (I plan on getting both Jim bat suit action figures and I am estatic they made them though I am also annoyed Dick still doesn't have 1) but inspite of how cool 41's cover was the stories just didn't pan out.

oh well maybe next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"