Job Search for Tech Jobs

runawayboulder

2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a good site for Tech Jobs other than the obvious ones like Career Builder and Monster? I got A+ Certified a month ago and wanted to get my resume out there.

I have never trusted those online job search sites. You are probably looking at a help desk or a desktop support job. Almost every company needs those filled. I would target companies you would like to work for or hire a head hunter service locally. I would also look for places that will allow reimbursement for education or advancement opportunities as you acquire additional certs and your skill set grows.

Have you given any though as to where you would like to specialize?

Mainly desk side support or a field tech. I'm doing help desk phone support right now and I'm learning a lot but I hate being stuck in a room all day on the phone. I'm more of a hands on type of person. I met with a recruiter 2 weeks ago and had a real positive meeting.

I also had a phone interview with a VP for a depot warehouse that did things like assemble printer drums and image hard drives. Unfortunately, the company was supposedly going into its slow season so there was a hiring freeze. Hopefully he call me back like he said he would because that job was right up my alley but I'm not gonna cross my fingers.

Any good IT Recruiters in the NY/NJ area?

Mainly desk side support or a field tech. I'm doing help desk phone support right now and I'm learning a lot but I hate being stuck in a room all day on the phone. I'm more of a hands on type of person. I met with a recruiter 2 weeks ago and had a real positive meeting.

I also had a phone interview with a VP for a depot warehouse that did things like assemble printer drums and image hard drives. Unfortunately, the company was supposedly going into its slow season so there was a hiring freeze. Hopefully he call me back like he said he would because that job was right up my alley but I'm not gonna cross my fingers.

Any good IT Recruiters in the NY/NJ area?

Sounds like how I started out. When I was in my early to mid 20's I worked as a bouncer for 4-5 years. After that I co-owned a great but financially stressed comic book store.

I had never even owed a computer until my buddy gave me a little Macintosh SE/30 to do word processing on. At the time I was under the illusion that I was going to be a comic book writer. Well a bit down the road my girlfriend (now wife) found out we were having our first child and I made decision to get a real job. I was digging computers, was gaming and building my own by then so I figured; I may as well get paid for it.

Took a data entry job to start building my resume, and then got another data entry/ document digitization gig. One day the big boss was crying his puter was slow and I suggested adding more memory. He set me to the store, I put it in, he was super happy. A week later I was reclassified the desktop tech and off I went. From there it was just a matter of trying to learn, grow and with each job, working with people and on projects that offered the opportunity to keep adding to my tool box. At the same time I was slowly started collecting certifications.

I was going along pretty well getting my MCSA until I landed my current job in local government. Since my pay was not affected by any additional certs I kind of got complacent. Since the economy tanked we all took 10% pay cuts. That put fire back under my but again and am studying for one of the two tests I have left for my MCSE. On top of that we are moving to a VMware environment so I am going to get to work with that here real soon. A year or two, maybe a cert and I figure my current job will either have to up compensation or bid me adieu.

My best advice is look for those jobs where the guys are cool. The mentoring opportunities that result from that one prerequisite are valuable beyond measure. Be honest about wanting to learn more and grow. The right place will always appreciate and encourage that.

As for the NY/NJ area. I wish I had something for ya but I am on the opposite coast in Las Vegas, NV, ;)

I did do a Google search on New Jersey IT recruiters though. A bunch of tuff came up. You may want to do the same and make a few calls. See what they have to offer.

I am sure you will find the right fit.

Need any advice or whatnot... shoot me a PM.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Great Story Denny! We are almost identical except I don't have my MCSE. Almost had my Network+ but the bottom fell out of the training, and the employer I was working for that I got my A+ through let me go.

I've had mixed luck with IT, my longest stint was working through Computer Science Corporation. The OP might wanna take a look on their site. They have a lot of stuff in Northern VA, though. You might wanna see if they have anything in NJ.

I did some contract work for a company out of Parsippany called RCM Technologies a few years back. The OP might want to check there as well.

The current IT job I have is a local HVAC in Southeast GA. Been here about 2 months, hope it lasts.

I'm 31 strikezone.

And I'm aware of usajobs.gov and RCM. I've got some time off coming up so I plan on setting up a profile with RCM. I have no problem with contract work to start if it can lead to something full time or if it's for a good 6 to 8 months. IBM has gone on a tear recently on Career Builder taking resumes for all sorts of positions all over NY, NJ and PA.

Another good site I found is Dice.com

Well had you been younger I would have recommended a job like Geek Squad because it's a good starting out spot, and looks good on a resume becuase it is a perfect mix of customer skills and tech. skills.
I assume your looking for more of a career though... I'd recommend www.dice.com
it's a web site only for finding jobs in the information technology field.

Yeah well I spent most of my 20's getting drunk 7 nights a week.....

A good place to look for job postings is from the college or university you graduated in. Look in their website for Career Services.

Another good place for IT job postings in the US is: http://www.computerwork.com/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"