search fixed yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kypade

Avenger
Reaction score
lol, no, but really, you all kinda suck at thread closing.

please dont post in a closed thread asking someone a question when they obviously cant answer it (rhetorical or not). it doesnt help anything and it makes me angry (i know it wasnt directed towards me, but still.)

better yet, don't close a thread when the most we've gotten for an answer is some vague "that would mean closing the boards" like, a MONTH ago. If you'd address the questions when they're asked and/or do something about them, the thread would have never had any reason/time/opportunity to get so long and off topic.

so, then...let's try this again...

IS the search gonna be fixed?

thanks. : ) : o

ps, unban Tukiluka.:marv:

yeah that annoys the **** out of me. when a thread is closed then 5 mods continue talking in it leaving little stupid comments knowing the posters cant reply. ugh
i bet if Tukiluka was a mod, the search engine would be fixed by now. but no, you have to make people like Elijya into mods. haha

For the sake of being fair, heres the last post.

Drakon said:
I was the closest thing to that when I was elected as Mod by the Higher-Ups. And look where I am now. Do you really want that to happen to someone else?

Good job closing Muscles thread though. Now you just need to work on closing Muscles.

Darthphere said:
For the sake of being fair, heres the last post.

it isnt about mods posting in closed threads, its about them closing threads without answering the question.

Holly Goodhead said:
it isnt about mods posting in closed threads, its about them closing threads without answering the question.

I got that, just that Drakon left a question for Calvin and I was giving him the opportunity to answer it.:confused:

Well, I have no idea what Drakon's story is, so I don't really have an answer.

Wow, you guys are REALLY motivating, just makes me want to jump and fix the search right now. Having said that, I'm going to attempt it again, if you had READ the closed thread you would see that this is a server intensive process and doesn't always work. Last time it looked like it was going to take 48 hours and then it quit not even a few hours into it. Show some respect, thanks, you're on here for free remember?

Mirko, I'm extremely respectful to everyone (who deserves it, anyway.)

The point is, there's no reason to close a thread that hasn't been answered...yeah, I know back in FEBruary you said you were doing it and you said it failed 1/4 in or something...but that's it. Otherwise, the ONLY comment about the search is that you would have to close the boards to do it...many people said they were fine with that...So...post an announcement saying the boards will be down for a day or so, and fix it...that would be great. But to hear nothing for a full month, and then to have the thread closed with still no answer...it's just annoying. You (or any mods, prolly) would have been completely fine leaving that thread closed with no further speak of it, but all of us would be sitting here wanting the search again. Yknow? I'm not even sure I'm making sense anymore, but I don't think it's disrespectful to want to know what's going on with something as important to the forums as being able to search.

Superhero Hype! said:
Wow, you guys are REALLY motivating, just makes me want to jump and fix the search right now. Having said that, I'm going to attempt it again, if you had READ the closed thread you would see that this is a server intensive process and doesn't always work. Last time it looked like it was going to take 48 hours and then it quit not even a few hours into it. Show some respect, thanks, you're on here for free remember?

and our coming here pays the bills, remember? :)
You know we love you, Mirko :(

I think the consensus was that one weekend without the Hype would be bearable if it meant the search function would be fixed.

Mods use the search function as a tool in doing their job. I'm sure most of them would appreciate search fixed, too.

P.S. Free Tukiluka
hello-kitty-factory.jpg

Superhero Hype! said:
People aren't on here for free. They pay with yer annoying pop up ads and zillion other intrusive things. I swear, yer site is so unconcerned with the people that traffic it. You have a very, very arrogant attitude. Yes, it's nice that you started this, but don't act like yer doing anyone but you any favors.

And yes, Buddy Lee still hates you.

:o

About 1/3 of the way through and it's still going. Keep your fingers crossed.

kypade said:
Mirko, I'm extremely respectful to everyone (who deserves it, anyway.)

The point is, there's no reason to close a thread that hasn't been answered...yeah, I know back in FEBruary you said you were doing it and you said it failed 1/4 in or something...but that's it. Otherwise, the ONLY comment about the search is that you would have to close the boards to do it...many people said they were fine with that...So...post an announcement saying the boards will be down for a day or so, and fix it...that would be great. But to hear nothing for a full month, and then to have the thread closed with still no answer...it's just annoying. You (or any mods, prolly) would have been completely fine leaving that thread closed with no further speak of it, but all of us would be sitting here wanting the search again. Yknow? I'm not even sure I'm making sense anymore, but I don't think it's disrespectful to want to know what's going on with something as important to the forums as being able to search.

I agree, this should have been done sooner, just work gets in the way.

Equint78 said:
People aren't on here for free. They pay with yer annoying pop up ads and zillion other intrusive things. I swear, yer site is so unconcerned with the people that traffic it. You have a very, very arrogant attitude. Yes, it's nice that you started this, but don't act like yer doing anyone but you any favors.

And yes, Buddy Lee still hates you.

:o

I've been doing this for nearly 8 years, and I think I've been accomodating about 99% of the time. A lot of people will be able to back me up on that. It's hard not to get frustrated sometimes when people want you to do things left and right.

And about the popus and other intrusive things, make sure you get a popup blocker like Google toolbar, you shouldn't be seeing that stuff anymore.

And if I hear a "get Firefox" one more time!! :)

Did you think of closing the boards whilst re-indexing? I'd think the traffic will cause problems and basically make it restart over and over... no?

No, I don't think it's the traffic. I'm going to try a few more times before resorting to that.

Thanks for trying to get the search function fixed (and for keeping us informed), Mirko. I know that when the search function goes FUBAR on a php board system like that it's a major PITA to repair it.

jag

jaguarr said:
Thanks for trying to get the search function fixed (and for keeping us informed), Mirko. I know that when the search function goes FUBAR on a php board system like that it's a major PITA to repair it.

jag

I like pitas.:confused:

Anyway, thanks for all the work youre putting in.:up:

Darthphere said:
I like pitas.:confused:

Anyway, thanks for all the work youre putting in.:up:

PITA = Pain In The Ass, but if you like 'em more power to ya. :up:

jag

Superhero Hype! said:
No, I don't think it's the traffic. I'm going to try a few more times before resorting to that.
If you're tryin to reindex right at this moment, I have a feeling it still won't work, Mirko. Right now, there are 1,191 users on the board, counting guests (living and bots). So that means the database is trying to reindex a 400-meg search index while servicing 1,191 users (not exactly at once, of course :\).

But now I think it is possible to complete the indexing without closing the board. You'll have to take note of which post number the reindexing stopped at last and the next time you start it, have it start at that post. You could give that a shot if that isn't what you're already doing, Mirk.

I could have sworn I came in here last night and saw this thread closed by Dew... I thought it was a new one (which would be the third) with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"