Jupiter Moon's Ice-Covered Ocean Is Rich in Oxygen

I'm not doubting that Microorganisms are a huge find when found off Earth but it just doesn't get me excited solely because of the fact that when/if they evolve into intelligent life, we'll be long gone. :csad:

Not really... if we get to Alpha Centauri by 3000, we can pretty much cover a 50-100 light year radius by 10,000. Galaxy by a million AD... meaning humans will be around for a very long freaking time, as long as their isn't a major cataclysm before the interstellar leap. If we don't find anything by then I guess we can say **** it, but I think that is extremely unlikely. If you meant we as in people right now then yeah, we'll be long gone. I think we'll make some break through within the century though.

Not really... if we get to Alpha Centauri by 3000, we can pretty much cover a 50-100 light year radius by 10,000. Galaxy by a million AD... meaning humans will be around for a very long freaking time, as long as their isn't a major cataclysm before the interstellar leap. If we don't find anything by then I guess we can say **** it, but I think that is extremely unlikely. If you meant we as in people right now then yeah, we'll be long gone. I think we'll make some break through within the century though.

That's what I meant. :csad:

That's what I meant. :csad:

Keep your DNA on ice and request a clone when the big day comes if you are desperate.

We don't have to do that, there is water throughout the solar system, there is water on the moon, there is water from comets. and outer planets. Heck Uranus has a 3000 km deep ocean of water ammonia and methane; Thats 1900+ miles deep of water we could quench our thirst with that planet for hundreds of years (if we figured a way to reach that ocean without collapsing from the atmospheric pressure. They just recently discovered that Saturn's moon Enceladus maybe a snowball world that covers a liquid ocean. In a few billion years scientist speculate Neptune would be a water world, which would be a perfect base for humans to refuel to escape the solar system once the Sun grows so big it covers Jupiter. I hope for someday we see a one world government where we can pool all of our resources to develop tools to study the solar system.

Ban this commi...

I've always wondered why they haven't visited Europa yet, or just send a "rover" thing there.

Rover wouldn't do ****. May take years just to drill the damn thing. They are planning a submarine probe by 2050 though.

2050?! I might not even be alive by then!

I want to eat a space shrimp.

Maybe every galaxy only have one planet with intelligent life. And all of them are doomed to live isolated, forever unaware of each other because of the distance between the galaxies.

anyway I promised to sum up the news article for those lazy to read, even though that reading is fundamental....
lol. It had little to do with being lazy. I love this stuff...I sometimes just don't have time to spare to read pages of this stuff during my random lurking around..

Europa definitley seems to be the place to go for possible life in our solar system. Titan is just a cloudy planet full of methane or whatever. But if Europa has oxygen, and gets heat from Jupiter, then it's damn possible for some organisms to live there.

It needs to be kept in mind that oxygen is not a requirement for life, even on this planet. I see a lot of people slipping into this assumption in this thread.

It needs to be kept in mind that oxygen is not a requirement for life, even on this planet. I see a lot of people slipping into this assumption in this thread.
Oh save it, The finding of Oxygen on another body in this solar system is big

Charcharodon is our forum science professor around these parts. He knows his *****.

Nobody was wrong. I wasn't correcting anybody. Just noting that people are tending toward what I would consider to be a semi-intuitive but ultimately false assumption. It's not like anybody said, "OMG no life without O2 lolol." :oldrazz:

Who says oxygen is needed to support life anyway? Human scientists? What do they know other than the rules that were made on Earth?

See that's the problem with a lot of people, they think the rules we have apply to the rest of the universe.

Sooo, 1+1 does not equal 2 in the rest of the Universe? Ok, got it. :doh:

well your partially right, cold germs have been known to survive for hundreds of thousands of years without oxygen. A big fear withing the health community is microbes from sick astronauts that rapidly grow in the vacuum of space and zero gravity. They speculate the next big epidemic could come from an astronauts sneezing towards earth. Science is frikin amazing.

There are microbes that live in sulfuric acid; or around rocks 2 miles below the surface. A lot of things are possible in unicellular organisms when they have billions of years of evolution going on.

well your partially right, cold germs have been known to survive for hundreds of thousands of years without oxygen.
There are organisms on this planet that cannot live in the presence of oxygen. They're called obligate anaerobes. So what do you mean by "partially?"

I also see no reason that a virus couldn't "live" without oxygen. They don't metabolize. For that matter, many don't consider them to be living organisms in the first place.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"