World Just why DOES Daily Bugle publisher J.Jonah Jameson hate Spider-Man?

Fantasyartist

Civilian
Reaction score
This is one of the enduring mysteries of the Marvel universe( kind of like never seeing Dr Doom or The Red Skull's faces).
Moral disapproval of "vigilanteism," the official pretext for Jameson's animus towards the web slinger, cannot be the reason, since Jameson knows that Spider-Man, unlike say the Punisher does not kill criminals, and there are other heroes similar to Spidey who are never the target of the Bugle's wrath(Moon Knight, Daredevil). Singificantly ,even the Punisher who is known to kill, is rarely the target of the Bugle either.
if we rule out the improbable, as Sherlock Holmes, put it to Dr Watson, then whatever remains, no matter improbable is the truth.

The kindest thing I can say about J. Jonah Jameson's obsessive hostility towards Spider-Man is that is seems not to be rooted in any anti-mutant prejudice( WE know that Spidey isn't a mutant but the general public of the Marvel Universe-especially the average New Yorker-doesn't); Jameson displays no especial animosity to the X-Men (or even the Fantastic Four or Avengers-indeed he is known to be a fan of one particular Avenger, Captain America in particular) beyond a moral disapproval of "super-heroes"

A cynic would say that going after Spider-Man sells newspapers and nobody with the exception of Aunt May Parker, seems to have cancelled their subscriptions due to the Bugle's anti- wallcrawler crusade!

Terry

^ Yep. He does distrust people in masks. Jonah also thought Spidey was trying to upstage John Jameson by stealing media coverage with 'stunt' rescues and crime-fighting. Another reason is that he's jealous of Spider-Man.

i'm wondering if jonah is consistent with his views to other heroes out there or whether it's just spidey.

i know his focus would be more on spidey since other heroes generally don't get their pictures splashed in the headlines and keep a lower cover but since parket is able to take pics of spidey, he was able to focus his anger on one in particular although he probably hates them all to a certain extent.

i wonder if he's going to play a part in the civil war storyline wishing for superheroes to be registered.

This is why he really hates him:

JonahJ.jpg

It may be a combination of motivations-simple jealousy of his Spidey's moral qualities, a desire to sell newspapers and suspicion of masked men( this is unlikely as Jameson KNOWS that the wall crawler unlike Wolverine, Venom or the Punisher is no killer)

Odin's Lapdog said:
i thought his first wife was murdered by a masked man.
I thought that was only in the cartoon.

Odin's Lapdog said:
i'm wondering if jonah is consistent with his views to other heroes out there or whether it's just spidey.

i know his focus would be more on spidey since other heroes generally don't get their pictures splashed in the headlines and keep a lower cover but since parket is able to take pics of spidey, he was able to focus his anger on one in particular although he probably hates them all to a certain extent.

i wonder if he's going to play a part in the civil war storyline wishing for superheroes to be registered.
The ionly other hero I've known him to really badmouth is Daredevil. But he's got no problem w/Captain America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"