Justice League Box Office Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManWithNoName18

Sidekick
Reaction score
I know it seems a little early, but I'm seeing many posters talk about the effect of BVS's Boxoffice performance in relation to JL on the main thread. I think this would be a better place to discuss it.

So, some points of discussion

-How will BVS's critical reception affect Justice League's Boxoffice?
-How will Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad affect JL's Boxoffice?
-Will well done costumes/positive tweets/great trailers do anything for JL?
-Can Zack Snyder deliver on a well received JL?
-Has the DCEU experienced a loss of hype in general after BVS?
-And what is your best prediction for it's opening weekend, and total?

My prediction, if we get something on the level of reception to BVS we could see a 700-800 million range.

However if Zack Snyder or some other director can generate a "good" JL movie that is well liked, I think we get into the 900- 1 billion range.

But on the off chance we get someone like George Miller or JJ Abrams to replace Snyder, and we get a reception on par with Avengers 1, TDK, Winter Soldier skies the limit. Don't think Snyder has it in him to make that kind of movie though. Not to many people do.

Last edited:
If SS and WW receive critical acclaim and restore good will for the DCEU, then I think we'll be back to BvS-level hype for this film. So again, a film with TDK-level, or close, reception needs to be delivered.

If all of the above works out, I think a billion is the ceiling.

If they fix the issue critics complain in BvS and make a lighthearted fun assemble movie it will make more money than any CBM before it.

If they fix the issue critics complain in BvS and make a lighthearted fun assemble movie it will make more money than any CBM before it.

Eh, I hope not. Here's the thing. The movie's gonna be lighter. Not lighthearted, but lighter. If Snyder manages not to intentionally make another divisive film, or if he does and WB checks him and forces him to not go through with that, then we could for sure see a movie that makes over $1 billion. I think that number increases depending on what BvS makes (as that's an indicator of the minimum amount that JL will make). So, if BvS makes $1 billion, then I'd say $1 billion is the absolute minimum that JL will make. But I do think JL will make over $1 billion. There are a lot more elements in the film that people could like, even if they don't like Batman or Superman or the editing.

It's got a good release date, the mid November slot hasn't had a below $100m OW since Twilight although I think Fantastic Beasts will be $85-95m OW. If they do delay production on JL then I could see it moving to Summer 2018 displacing Aquaman to 2019 and moving up Ready Player One to JL's old November slot.

It's not delaying. The entire JL cast is already in London getting ready to film. It seems like some shots have already been done with Jason.

Truly impossible to predict at this stage.

If Snyder and company double down and give us a movie with a similar tone to BvS, no way it gets to a billion. The sharp drops in BvS' box office suggest bad word of mouth and/or disinterest. Giving them more of the same will do them no favors.

If it's lighter in tone, has strong character dynamics, and is just a more fun movie? Maybe. But it's gonna have to be a very good film on top of all of that in order to get people to buy back into it.

But at this point, I genuinely do not know what to expect. I know they keep saying that these films are happening no matter what, but if JL can't even crack a billion, I'd say the DCU is done.

If this movie wants to get to a billion dollars, it needs a big up take in quality. BVS had 3 years to forget about MOS, the inclusion of Batman, the inclusion of Wonder Woman, the set up for how the JL starts learning about each other. There was a certain "magic" behind the making of BVS. We saw the first WW picture, the first Batman picture, a dead robin suit. 3 out of the 4 trailers where well received, positive tweets flooded the internet when it was first shown. It was the kind of movie that even many of the skeptics decided to check out. This was Snyder's chance to show the audience that he could learn from his mistakes in MOS and make a good movie. It was his time to launch the DCEU, and bring everyone on board.

But he didn't. BVS got worse reception than MOS, BVS divided the people who like MOS in half. Critics had a field day with BVS's problems. Audiences gave it a B cinemascore. Now with no competition BVS is dropping around 70% in its second week.

I don't think the pre sales are going to be as good as BVS unless we see SS and WW regain audience trust in the brand. Even then I don't think Snyder can get away with a 180 opening weekend based entirely on marketing, the movie's got to be good. I think to hit a billion this movie needs to be in the 80% along with a well received WW and SS.

With Snyder on board?

OW: $90M

DOM: $250M

INT: $350M

WW: $600M to $650M

Albeit the huge opening weekend of BvS thanks to pre-RT hype, that film is dropping laughably hard.

Justice League won't have a big opening anymore like BvS due to lack of confidence, and will have big drops unless Snyder delivers critically which i doubt it..

If Snyder returns then i'm confident the Justice League: Part One will gross less than Man of Steel. due to a bad opening weekend and bad legs, Snyder ain't gonna make a good film anymore.

90 million OW when BvS scored 166M?

Go up.

That opening Weekend was thanks to wanting to see a Batman versus Superman film, most didn't like it and now BvS is about to have up to a 70% 2nd week drop thanks to bad word of mouth.

Brand loyalty in a DC film directed by Snyder is at an all time low, folks aren't going to be looking forward to a cbm film with the same crew as BvS.

So I say that $90M is realistic.

That opening Weekend was thanks to wanting to see a Batman versus Superman film, most didn't like it and now BvS is about to have up to a 70% 2nd week drop thanks to bad word of mouth.

Brand loyalty in a DC film directed by Snyder is at an all time low, folks aren't going to be looking forward to a cbm film with the same crew as BvS.

So I say that $90M is realistic.

Just wondering jokesonme? Do you think stellar marketing like MOS and BVS (except trailer 3) can pump people up again. The way I see it, doesn't matter unless it's really positive buzz behind the movie, with really positive reviews as well.

Oh, geez. BvS is a lock to clear 700M already. It's still making money.

JL1 will have all the characters, full-time, plus the return of Superman and (presumably) the first confrontation against Darkseid's forces.

I doubt it, i Snyder returns then all throughout production to release this film will usher in so much negative press and reception thanks to BvS and its reception.

Oh, geez. BvS is a lock to clear 700M already. It's still making money.

JL1 will have all the characters, full-time, plus the return of Superman and (presumably) the first confrontation against Darkseid's forces.

BvS is crashing in nearly every single market outside the US, including China, and its hurting domestically thanks to a 70% massive drop.

BvS only made that much because it was a front loaded film, and the problem with those kind of films is that they live and die by box office legs since there's no more new markets to open up in, and with what we've been hearing about BvS and its legs, it ain't moving a lot.

Yeah, seen it all in the BO thread, repeated ad nauseum. Don't be surprised if it hits 800M. It's going to rock in DVD sales, too.

$800M for a Batman versus Superman film with Wonder Woman aswell is honestly just pathetic, and is Snyder stays then there is no way Justice League will even outgross whatever BvS makes, Especially since BvS would then be just $232M extra above MoS.

I doubt it, i Snyder returns then all throughout production to release this film will usher in so much negative press and reception thanks to BvS and its reception.
Doubt the press will care either way. They're not gonna be focused on Snyder

Doubt the press will care either way. They're not gonna be focused on Snyder

Negative press = tons of clicks on that article, it's how folks like El Maybe and Faraci get their incoming.

And if Snyder returns then people like them now have a gold mine of negative articles for their careers.

It's still Justice League. We got a little under 2 years to forget, and SS and WW can bring back confidence. Depending on how they use Snyder for marketing, I can see them using Miller's name over his to bring back the confidence as well. I thnk JL will do just fine. Maybe not Avengers money, but it will probably make what BvS was supposed to without RTgate, which is about 1.2b by my guess.

Actually BvS needs at least 800 million to break even...

The GA have short memories so if the trailers and promo appeal to them then they will go see it. Transformers has been horrible after the 1st but people keep coming back to see robots fight each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"