Knights of Ren Discussion Thread

godisawesome

Sidekick
Reaction score
We've seen these guys in the flashback in Force Awakens, and our new primary antagonist is Kylo Ren, "Master of the Knights of Ren." He seems to have a strong visual basis in European Knights instead of the samurai-esque Jedi and Sith, and while very powerful, has enough roughness to his skills and maturity to make some question how disciplined the Knights are if he's a Master.

So, what do you guys see in these guys, or hope to see in the next few movies?
k8BrkEh.png

It looks like Kylo is the only one who uses a lightsaber, and a lot of people have noted that these guys look a lot like the Seven Samurai. Numerous members seem to be carrying weaponry that could be used in melee combat including a giant halberd and Buster Sword, some of which have a red glow on parts that might imply electro-staff style weaponry capable of taking on lightsabers.

Last edited:
jackrammyz-credited-as-the-jedi-killers-in

23mral5.jpg

Here's some concept art that might also show the Knights of Ren.

Last edited:
Wait, were the Kinghts actually mentioned in TFA? If not, the shot we got of them in Rey's vision was probably what happens in the future when Kylo Ren is fully trained, disciplined and capable of leading…..

Snoke referred to them when Kylo was discussing Rey resisting his mind probe.

"You, the master of the Knights of Ren..."

So, he is already the master of them. The Force vision is likely the massacre of Luke's Jedi academy.

Snoke referred to them when Kylo was discussing Rey resisting his mind probe.

"You, the master of the Knights of Ren..."

So, he is already the master of them. The Force vision is likely the massacre of Luke's Jedi academy.

^That doesn't fit the time line; if Rey was a child during the massacre, then the massacre happened about 10-15 years prior and Kylo already looks like an adult in the 'Knights' pic. That mean he would be in his late 30's to 40 in TFA…

A tall 16 year old works. Rey is 19-20, Kylo is 29-30.

^That doesn't fit the time line; if Rey was a child during the massacre, then the massacre happened about 10-15 years prior and Kylo already looks like an adult in the 'Knights' pic. That mean he would be in his late 30's to 40 in TFA…

Pablo Hidalgo in an interview I'm having trouble finding said that Ben only relatively recently joined the Knights of Ren, and that Luke's exile and the crushing of his fledgling order was likewise not that long ago. Rey's disappearance is far ther back in the timeline, and supposedly that flashback sequence where we see the Knights in the rain is not an attack on Jedi students, but just the Knights going about their bloody business on some hapless aliens.

Which, if Snoke already had a group of warriors acting as his agents in the Galaxy, implies that there are other, older and more experienced Knights, which begs the question of how they must feel about Kylo being so elevated in their ranks.

O.k. People are just speculating that Rey being left on Jakku was a direct response to the Jedi temple massacre, but could very well have taken place at different times…

Okay, do any of you guys suspect that the Knights are going to be portrayed as deliberately undertrained by Snoke so he can maintain his power over them? Because Kylo, as powerful as he is, is so immature and inexperienced that his title as Master of the Knights of Ren seems prematurely given. His most skilled Force power seemed to be that Force Stasis style attack, which some of us have concluded is a light side based non-lethal attack Luke probably taught him. His mind reading ability is probably the most perfected dark side power he has, and it would make sense for Snoke to focus on giving him that. Add in the idea that he may have joined them only a short time ago, and it kind of paints a picture where Knight-training may be rather underdeveloped at the moment.

It could also be that the Knights have a radically different approach to their Force training, period. Or maybe they're a new organization testing their capabilities; perhaps Snoke is an old inquisitor finding people who a) have Force sensitivity, and b) are experienced killers and murderers, that he can "knight" as champions of the First Order.

O.k. People are just speculating that Rey being left on Jakku was a direct response to the Jedi temple massacre, but could very well have taken place at different times…
That would sort of explain why Ren maybe doesn't know about Rey or know who she is.

I want Rian to do whatever he can to differentiate them from the Sith.

And I want Snoke to either be someone REALLY f**ing unique or a smokescreen (snokescreen?) created by someone else (Del Toro?), like the big guy in Equilibrium, or Supreme Overlord Shimra from the New Jedi Order books. ...Ok, I admit I just utterly hate Snoke and that's wishful thinking on my part.

Why do you hate Snoke? There isn't enough of him in TFA to actually hate him. Hating the design, sure, but hating the character completely already? Thatd be like deciding you hate the Emperor after only watching ESB. We don't know enough about the character and haven't seen enough of him to form any sort of informed opinion about him.

Why do you hate Snoke? There isn't enough of him in TFA to actually hate him. Hating the design, sure, but hating the character completely? Thatd be like deciding you hate the Emperor after onlywatching ESB.

Well, see, Snoke HAD to be explained to an extent in TFA, since he's pretty much the reason we have a new franchise. The fact that they left him vague is a terrible idea. What I have from Snoke is a bad design (wish it was like the concept art more), an Andy Serkis who didn't care ('cause, by his own admission he didn't know what he was playing), and a character written in the most cliched fashion imaginable and the only thing he does is give us 2 pieces of information (one of which doesn't matter at all 'cause it's not explored either) in an expository manner. Both pieces could've been given to us in a better way, too.

The Emperor in ESB was a brief scene that showed Vader bowed down to someone, he was mentioned in ANH and now we get a glimpse (so it works in a dramatic fashion) and, let's face it, he was just there first. Snoke ran the risk of being an Emperor ripoff and due to the lack of exploration... that's exactly what he is, as of now.

I don't hate the character but the design definitely stands out like a sore thumb in the movie.

An Emperor rip off with no personal connection to the audience and possibly the characters in anyway. Which feels lazy. Maybe VIII and IX will retroactively make it work, but right now I hate Snoke.

As for the Knights themselves, I do hope they use The Raid cast members for their roles in the future.

Well, see, Snoke HAD to be explained to an extent in TFA, since he's pretty much the reason we have a new franchise. The fact that they left him vague is a terrible idea. What I have from Snoke is a bad design (wish it was like the concept art more), an Andy Serkis who didn't care ('cause, by his own admission he didn't know what he was playing), and a character written in the most cliched fashion imaginable and the only thing he does is give us 2 pieces of information (one of which doesn't matter at all 'cause it's not explored either) in an expository manner. Both pieces could've been given to us in a better way, too.

The Emperor in ESB was a brief scene that showed Vader bowed down to someone, he was mentioned in ANH and now we get a glimpse (so it works in a dramatic fashion) and, let's face it, he was just there first. Snoke ran the risk of being an Emperor ripoff and due to the lack of exploration... that's exactly what he is, as of now.

Snoke isn't the reason we have a new franchise so right their your critique falls apart, but I'll respond to your points anyways.

Leaving him vague wasn't a terrible idea. You don't need to know some things in the first film in a trilogy. All you need to know is that he leads the First Order and is Kylo's master. You didn't need to know anything else about him for the story of TFA to work. This film wasn't about Snoke's backstory. Just like ESB and ROTJ aren't about the Emperor's backstory. You wanting more and the film needing to tell you more are two different things. This is just a case of you being impatient and wanting more than the film needed to give you. You can't have it all right now.

Snoke's design is the same as the concept art. He has the scar on his head and the left cheek is caved in.

Andy Serkis knew who the character was. He just didn't know what the final design would be. It was the same when he played Gollum, King Kong, and Caesar. He had a basic idea, but not the exact design at the time of filming. You say he didn't care, but there is zero evidence to indicate that.

How is he cliched in TFA?

What were the 2 pieces of information? A piece of information not being explored in this film doesn't make it useless or meaningless.

tumblr_n8a1i6uZPf1qaarijo2_r1_500.gif

Contrary to the OT, TFA is the seventh film in the saga and our first time seeing those characters in 30 years of their lives. There's an element of catch-up that needs to be played, that wasn't needed in the OT.

To be honest, I simply didn't want another throne sitting evil Emperor, Kylo Ren is a strong enough character on his own to be the main villain.

@Marvolo, paragraph for paragraph:

Snoke IS the reason 'cause he seduced Kylo and basically kickstarted the Academy slaughter. So my critique is safe and sound. Moving on.

I don't want to know everything at all. But there's a big difference between knowing SOMEthing and knowing EVERYthing. How is he different to the Emperor right now? He's not his own character. I didn't need to know the Emperor's backstory because he was THE bad guy in a 3 movie franchise. It all started and ended with him. He seduced Vader and he died. Beginning, end. Snoke needed to be different and he's not. He seduced Kylo and he'll probably die. He's Emperor v2.0 and that's a BIG flaw in his character. Providing ANYthing about his character (not the entire deal) would've helped a lot. They didn't.

Snoke was realized VERY badly then, in terms of design.

Andy knew? Then he just phoned his performance in.

He has generic lines. He's token bad guy. He's got nothing to make him an interesting or distinct character.

1.He tells the audience who Kylo's dad is and 2.He mentions the Knights of Ren. The 2nd piece is useless namedropping 'cause the movie does f**k all to tell us who the Ren are. Again, to differentiate them from the Sith, they needed to at least give us something about the faction instead of just mentioning them.

Last edited:
Andy knew? Then he just phoned his performance in.

Is that a negative? The character sits there and speaks in a menacing voice. You can't expect him to perform a cartwheel. I don't think Andy is to "blame" for any of it. He did his job.

I didn't want him to pull a Caesar, but his performance was lackluster compared to what he was doing in the trailers. Now, I'll admit he couldn't do much with that writing.

Snoke IS the reason 'cause he seduced Kylo and basically kickstarted the Academy slaughter. So my critique is safe and sound. Moving on.

I thought you meant Disney made these new Star wars films solely for Snoke.

I don't want to know everything at all. But there's a big difference between knowing SOMEthing and knowing EVERYthing. How is he different to the Emperor right now? THe's not his own character. I didn't need to know the Emperor's backstory because he was THE bad guy in a 3 movie franchise. It all started and ended with him. He seduced Vader and he died. Beginning, end. Snoke needed to be different and he's not. He seduced Kylo and he'll probably die. He's Emperor v2.0 and that's a BIG flaw in his character.

Again you sound very impatient and are jumping to conclusions. Fact is you don't know what their plans are for the character, but rather than waiting for the character to be revealed over the course of the trilogy you are jumping to the conclusion now that he won't be any different from the Emperor. The only ways he is like the emperor as of now is that he is the leader of a tyrannical government, which isn't a negative mark against the character, and he seduced a powerful force user like countless Sith have, also not a negative mark. These two things if anything tell us he is intelligent and a considerable threat to our heroes.

And Snoke was handled in TFA the way the Emperor was handled in ESB. If you were ok with the Emperor in ESB you should be fine with how Snoke was handled in TFA. Both are a question mark at the end of the film they are introduced in.

Providing ANYthing about his character (not the entire deal) would've helped a lot. They didn't.

They didn't need to tell anything about him in this film to tell the story in TFA. How he is different or isn't will be explored in 8 or 9. Or maybe even 10 if he manages to survive this trilogy.

Snoke was realized VERY badly then, in therms of design.

You say you wanted him to be like the concept art, and he was damn near identical to the concept art. Is it the cgi that you dislike? Because if you like the concept art you should like the design in the film because they are the same.

Andy knew? Then he just phones his performance in.

How exactly did he phone in his performance? What more did you want him to do while delivering the lines and part he had?

He has generic lines.

He was giving Kylo and Hux orders like tyrannical leaders tend to do. So a tyrannical leader giving specific orders to his underlings is considered generic? And he gave Kylo some info about who was involved with the people who had the map leading to Luke. Was that generic? Cause I don't think that's all that generic or bad.

He's token bad guy. He's got nothing to make him an interesting character.

The mystery of him is what makes him interesting to me right now. He is a question mark right now. Just like the Emperor was. All we know is he leads the First Order and seduced Ben. Since this is a trilogy he will be expanded upon. After we see where they are going with his character then we can decide whether he really is a token bad guy or only Emperor 2.0. Anything more would just be jumping to a conclusion.

1.He tells the audience who Kylo's dad is

And it was told to us in a natural way.

2.He mentions the Knights of Ren. The 2nd piece is useless namedropping 'cause the movie does f**k all to tell us who the Ren are.

You mean like ANH name drops the Sith? It was fine then. Why not now?

Again, to differentiate them from the Sith, they needed to at least give us something about the faction instead of just mentioning them.

If they were the Sith they would call themselves Sith. They don't. That's enough to tell you they are different. How they are different exactly isn't relevant to TFA's story. We'll find out about them in later films and/or books and/or comics.

Last edited:
I didn't want him to pull a Caesar, but his performance was lackluster compared to what he was doing in the trailers. Now, I'll admit he couldn't do much with that writing.

:huh: What exactly did he do different in his very brief lines in the trailer and his lines in the film?

Again you sound very impatient and are jumping to conclusions. Fact is you don't know what their plans are for the character, but rather than waiting for the character to be revealed over the course of the trilogy you are jumping to the conclusion now that he won't be any different from the Emperor. The only ways he is like the emperor as of now is that he is the leader of a tyrannical government, which isn't a negative mark against the character, and he seduced a powerful force user like countless Sith have.

And Snoke was handled in TFA the way the Emperor was handled in ESB. If you were ok with the Emperor in ESB you should be fine with how Snoke was handled in TFA. Both are a question mark at the end of the film they are introduced in.
Again, the Emperor had the luxury of being the first big bad of the franchise. Snoke doesn't. And that's why right now he's a ripoff. And I hate ripoffs.

They didn't need to tell anything about him in this film to tell the story in TFA. How he is different or isn't will be explored in 8 or 9. Or maybe even 10 if he manages to survive this trilogy.
They did, to differentiate him or make him even remotely interesting.

You say you wanted him to be like the concept art, and he was damn near identical to the concept art. Is it the cgi that you dislike? Because if you like the concept art you should like the design in the film because they are the same.
The creepy factor of the concept art or the "one could say Snoke was once handsome" part of it weren't there in the movie.

How exactly did he phone in his performance? What more did you want him to do while delivering the lines and part he had?
See, the Emperor had more or less generic lines, but McDiarmid made him work in RotJ. I wasn't there with JJ to tell you what he could've done, but I didn't like what I got in terms of performance. He bored me.

He was giving Kylo and Hux orders like tyrannical leaders tend to do. So a tyrannical leader giving specific orders to his underlings is considered generic? And he gave Kylo some info about who was involved with the people who had the map leading to Luke. Was that generic? Cause I don't think that's all that generic or bad.
I think it was both. Interchangeable lines that could've been uttered by Hux, for the most part.

The mystery of him is what makes him interesting to me right now. He is a question mark right now. Just like the Emperor was. All we know is he leads the First Order and seduced Ben. Since this is a trilogy he will be expanded upon. After we see where they are going with his character then we can decide whether he really is a token bad guy or only Emperor 2.0. Anything more would just be jumping to a conclusion.
There's the exciting version of a mystery and the non-exciting one. Snoke is the latter, to me. Neither the script nor Andy have given me anything to look forward to because Snoke's just... there. At least the Ren have Kylo as their "master", so there's SOMEthing of an interesting mystery. Maz finding the legacy saber is also an example of an exciting mystery.

And it was told to us in a natural way.
My point is it could've been revealed via the Vader helmet scene, too. I don't hate the exposition itself.

You mean like ANH name drops the Sith? It was fine then. Why not now?
I never said it was fine then. It was never explored what the Sith were until the Prequels. And even then, the Sith as a concept came first. Once again, to avoid comparisons with something that came before, you need to do more than namedrop. You need to differentiate.

If they were the Sith they would call themselves Sith. They don't. That's enough to tell you they are different. How they are different exactly isn't relevant to TFA's story. We'll find out about them in later films and/or books and/or comics.
When I'm assessing whether I like a movie or not I don't count what a potential EU product or a sequel will do. You'll notice I'm calling Snoke an Emperor ripoff "as of now" in a previous post.

In terms of TFA, Snoke doesn't work and it's not because he's a plot hole or anything. It's just that, TFA is a 7th movie in a franchise and some elements of it are extremely similar to others that came before. They should've at least tried the minimum to make them different. It might (and probably will) work retro-actively, but understand that on its own, it looks bad cos we've seen the Snoke/Kylo dynamic before and not in a general Master/apprentice way. It's like Vader/Emperor and it's just not a good thing for a movie. TFA is getting enough heat for being too much like ANH with some ESB in it, and one of the reasons is exactly because of Snoke and, to a lesser extent, the Ren. People came out of the theater muttering "Sith". They never understood that the new faction Snoke leads is the Knights of Ren because the movie just namedrops them. And you know what? The viewers are right. The information was said, but not shown. You think people cared about the term Sith when it was said during ANH? No. For the exact same reasons. Only then it wasn't evocative of something that had come before it. Now it is.

Last edited:
:huh: What exactly did he do different in his very brief lines in the trailer and his lines in the film?

He sounded more... gravely. Creepier. TFA's Snoke didn't even convey that he's wounded.

And, come to think of it, when were the Sith namedropped during ANH?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"