Lawrence Kasdan: No Extended Universe Films

James

Built from Lego
Reaction score
Lawrence Kasdan, writer of both The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi has stated publically that there will be no Extended Universe adaptions, at least in his movie(s).

“I’m trying to start fresh,” he said. “There are certain pleasures that we think the saga can bring to people that they’ve been missing, and we’re hoping to bring them that, and at the same time, have them feel that it’s all new. The ones I worked on were a long time ago, and they had a slightly different feeling than the ones that followed,” he said. “The first three, ‘Star Wars,’ ‘Empire’ and ‘Return of the Jedi’ are all sort of more about people than the ones that followed. ‘Empire’ appeals to people, I think, because it’s the second act of a three-act play, and everything sort of goes to hell during the movie. And when you leave, everyone is in trouble, and that is the best part of the story to write. And people responded to it. Irvin Kershner was a completely different kind of director than George, so the movie’s much darker than the first ‘Star Wars.’ It’s more edgy.”

Read the full article here.

Last edited:
Lawrence Kasdan, writer of both The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi has stated publically that there will be no Extended Universe adaptions, at least in his movie(s).

Read the full article here.

Good I'm tired of seeing all of these people posting about which Han Solo books they think his story will be based on or if Adrimal Thrawn will make an appearance in Episode VII. It's time to start fresh and remember that Star Wars isn't Star Trek, it's not about the aliens or the technology it's about the characters and the adventure.

Well, I never wanted EU adaptations in the first place, so it's all good. Even if Eps7-9 contradict the already established EU stuff, I'll be bummed, but I'll understand. however, it will be a b**ch to seel all those books and comics.

Kasdan isn't writing the ST, just spin-offs right? So I figure the Han films might contradict the old book series, but I sort of never cared too much for those anyway.

I still kinda hate the EU will probably get the shaft, especially since it mans we'll probably be losing great characters like Mara Jade and Kyle Katarn, but I can hope that this all pans out to be better than all of those.

Well, I never wanted EU adaptations in the first place, so it's all good. Even if Eps7-9 contradict the already established EU stuff, I'll be bummed, but I'll understand. however, it will be a b**ch to seel all those books and comics.

I never liked a lot of the EU. Stuff like Palpatine making "force storms" were stupid and his resurrection completely ruins Anakins arc. Also I thought it was stupid how Hans like 70 and looks 40 and Obi-Wan in Episode IV is like 50 and looks 70. I liked some elements of it sure but it was never able to get it's footing the way the films, even the prequels, did imo.

Kasdan isn't writing the ST, just spin-offs right? So I figure the Han films might contradict the old book series, but I sort of never cared too much for those anyway.

I still kinda hate the EU will probably get the shaft, especially since it mans we'll probably be losing great characters like Mara Jade and Kyle Katarn, but I can hope that this all pans out to be better than all of those.

I've never been a fan of Mara Jade, but Kyle Katarn will be missed:csad:

Any EU adaptations are a long way off...but some will likely get made some where down the line...

Kasdan wasn't saying there won't be any EU films at all, he was just saying he won't be doing any EU films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"