LED TV Image Burning?

Spider-Who?

ERMERGERD!
Reaction score
I recently bought a 55'' LED HD TV. Not all of Comcast's channels are in HD, and my GF loves watching the movie channels like HBO and Stars, which are mostly in standard definition, which means the TV screen looks something like this when you watch it:

skype-on-tv-hero-main-new4.jpg

I'm concerned about the black borders causing screen burning. I would say about 2/5 of what she watches is like this (I only watch stuff in HD if I have the remote). When ever I come in the room and watch it with her, I always try to zoom in so the image fills the screen, but she usually complains that the image is now blurry.

Is this something that I should be concerned about (and therefore lay down the law with her), or am I just being overly cautious with the new TV?

I don't think it will hurt anything because it's a solid black. If it was another color that was brighter, like white, then it would most def damage the screen from being on all the time. I think that's why the borders are black to begin with.

I've never had Comcast before but Time Warner and Cablevision convertor boxes have a setting in them to automatically adjust the display to the channel being broadcast.

No, you don't have anything to worry about. If you had a Plasma TV, then I would say yeah. LED TV's do not contain the phosphorus gas that Plasma TV's do.

No, you don't have anything to worry about. If you had a Plasma TV, then I would say yeah. LED TV's do not contain the phosphorus gas that Plasma TV's do.
Maybe six years ago, yes I would agree about plasma, but that's not true anymore.

Maybe six years ago, yes I would agree about plasma, but that's not true anymore.
That's true. I had forgot that the image burning problem was all but done away with in Plasma TVs. I think, for the most part, LED and LCD TVs are are bought by more people nowadays.

I think, for the most part, LED and LCD TVs are are bought by more people nowadays.
Agreed.

Plasma still has the best picture quality, IMO, but LED and LCD are just as good, and their price and smaller form factor make it a better purchase over plasma any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"