Using a PS 3 with an old non HD TV

Human Torch

Avenger
Reaction score
To start off,I make no bones about not being tech savy. So I need some fairly detailed instructions to get things going.

Now, I'm using an old NON HD TV. I have an old VCR that no longer works as my conduit since neither my TV nor other (at least as of now) working VCR has "AV 1" which is apparently the channel that the PS3 comes through. The "conduit VCR" just died a painful death,leaving me no working option for getting my PS3 signal to go through.

Also,my PS 3 doesn't seem to be working right,as the green/red light isn't showing up. The blue light shows up when I put in a DVD,but I can't watch it since it's apparently not going through to the tv.

The little research I've done tells me that hooking PS3's red,white & yellow wires to the back of the TV should pretty much do it. But it hasn't.

I appreciate whatever advice anyone has for the situation. Thanks.

Have you just recently bought this Ps3 used? It's possible that the last person who owned it was using it in HD. So what you should do is when you start up your Ps3 next, hold down the green (on button) when turning it on, keep your finger on there until the screen prompts you and asks you about resolution.

I bought it used (refurbished) but that was two years ago. I tried holding down the button but I'm getting no green light.

The problem is several fold as I outlined in my first post,so I'm guessing this isn't going to be an easy fix.:csad:

If the TV has the RCA connection, then there should be a way to get to AV. What manufacturer is it? Was the VCR hooked up to the RCA connection?

My tv is a Syvania. It doesn't have an Av1 channel. It's really confusing the way I have it rigged up.

When I want to watch/record from my working VCR I connect my two wires (one from the TV ,one from the cable box) to it.

When I want to use the PS3, I take those two wires and plug them into the Non working VCR and set the VCR channel to AV1.

The Red,Yellow White (I'm guessing that's the RCA?) wires always are plugged into the dead "conduit" VCR.

When I plug the R/W/Y wires into the TV's R/W/Y socket nothing happens.

And as I said before,worse off,why is there no green or red lights working on my PS3 anymore?

Well,I went to Radio Shack and the guy sold me the appropriate wire set up. But since my TV doesn't have AV1 it's still not working.:wall:

I can't watch any DVDs on my laptop for some reason,so no Marvel marathon in the near future. And it looks like I'll have to watch Daredevil on my laptop as well.:fst:

I bought it used (refurbished) but that was two years ago. I tried holding down the button but I'm getting no green light.

The problem is several fold as I outlined in my first post,so I'm guessing this isn't going to be an easy fix.:csad:
is there a red light there first? if there's no red light you need to flip the switch on the back. then when the red light shows up, hold it down (you don't have to push it down like a button just hold it) until the res screen shows up.

My tv is a Syvania. It doesn't have an Av1 channel. It's really confusing the way I have it rigged up.

When I want to watch/record from my working VCR I connect my two wires (one from the TV ,one from the cable box) to it.

When I want to use the PS3, I take those two wires and plug them into the Non working VCR and set the VCR channel to AV1.

The Red,Yellow White (I'm guessing that's the RCA?) wires always are plugged into the dead "conduit" VCR.

When I plug the R/W/Y wires into the TV's R/W/Y socket nothing happens.
That setup gives me a headache to imagine what it looks like.

And as I said before,worse off,why is there no green or red lights working on my PS3 anymore?
For the PS3 testing, you might have to take it to a friend or family member's house that have the proper connections to see if it's the PS3 that is not working. That's the only thing I can think of for that.

Well,I went to Radio Shack and the guy sold me the appropriate wire set up. But since my TV doesn't have AV1 it's still not working.:wall:

I can't watch any DVDs on my laptop for some reason,so no Marvel marathon in the near future. And it looks like I'll have to watch Daredevil on my laptop as well.:fst:
I don't know what your budget/spending is or if you can purchase a new TV, but I would recommend upgrading your set. Here's a 24" 720p HDTV for $80 if you really want to stay on the cheap.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-2...v-black/6522226.p?acampID=0&ref=8575135&loc=0

When you plug the ps3 directly to the tv do you switch the TV to Input/Line In/AV/Source? If you don't have a button for Input/Line In/AV/Source try going to channel "01" and then pressing the "channel down" button

When you plug the ps3 directly to the tv do you switch the TV to Input/Line In/AV/Source? If you don't have a button for Input/Line In/AV/Source try going to channel "01" and then pressing the "channel down" button

That seems to be the problem. I have no "01" channel and the guy at the store told me to use the "source" button. But I can find no such button on my Tv/Cablebox.

BTW,for some reason the red light is now working on my PS3, but still not the green.:huh:

That seems to be the problem. I have no "01" channel and the guy at the store told me to use the "source" button. But I can find no such button on my Tv/Cablebox.

BTW,for some reason the red light is now working on my PS3, but still not the green.:huh:
If you have a cable box and tv combination just focus on the tv part; what is the lowest chanel you have acces to on the tv? How is your cable box connected to the tv; it seems to be by a single coax cable by the discription you gave. Does the ps3 give you any indications that it should be working when you turn it on like a blue indicator light, fan?

If you have a cable box and tv combination just focus on the tv part; what is the lowest chanel you have acces to on the tv? How is your cable box connected to the tv; it seems to be by a single coax cable by the discription you gave. Does the ps3 give you any indications that it should be working when you turn it on like a blue indicator light, fan?

Correct. A second coax cable connects my VCR to the cable box.

The lowest channel I have is 02. I can set the tv to "auto program" where it searches out the 60/70 odd channels available for some type of signal,but it only ever sets on 03. I can add other channels manually if need be,but it'll just look like static.

When I put on the PS3 I hear the "beep" and the inner workings of the device that tells me that it's "on", but there is no light.

Well, I took back the wire recommended by the guy in Radio Shack and got my money back.

On a whim,I saw an RF Modulater in Target today that boasted it could connect anything to an old tv. It cost 7 or 8 bucks more than the wire had,but I figured what have I got to lose?

It works!:awesome: :pcg: :chd: :db:

So the tale has a happy ending. I can watch my Marvel movie marathon in plenty of time before AOU, and I can watch DD on my TV before my free month of Netflix is over. :jd:

Yeesh, I'd meant to reply to this last week. I had that same setup a while back before I upgraded to HDTV and the RF worked like a dream after my VCR went kaput.

Good that it worked out.

Well, I took back the wire recommended by the guy in Radio Shack and got my money back.

On a whim,I saw an RF Modulater in Target today that boasted it could connect anything to an old tv. It cost 7 or 8 bucks more than the wire had,but I figured what have I got to lose?

It works!:awesome: :pcg: :chd: :db:

So the tale has a happy ending. I can watch my Marvel movie marathon in plenty of time before AOU, and I can watch DD on my TV before my free month of Netflix is over. :jd:
You tech savvy person you! Good job.

I assume the PS3 works then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"