Live Action Comic Book Movies Versus Animated Comic Book Movies? What’s Your preference?

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
What’s your preference? Do you prefer in general animated movies about comic book characters or do you prefer to see comic book movies in live-action? I have a preference for animation but I curious to see where this forum falls.

There's a great thrill in seeing favourite characters in live-action but there's also more chance for it not to work imo, the most obvious problem being casting. Yes, sometimes animations have a voice actor who doesn't quite nail it, but I've never had a voice performance that I don't like spoil an animated movie for me. A live-action performance that for me doesn't work can completely take me out of it.

So when live-action gets it absolutely right, I'll take that. But generally, animation does it for me more consistently.

I'm pretty picky about animation, and while I haven't seen most of the animated films, from what I know about them it seems like they often assume knowledge of source material (or TV shows they follow from). Something like Big Hero 6 is cool, and in theory animated films could have a lot to offer if they were made at that level for a wide audience...but even then I think live action would win out because it wins out for me in general.

In terms of superheroes, I generally have a preference for live-action. There have been some really great live action superhero films, way moreso than animation, and it was just the environment I've lived in for pretty much my entire life. Growing up I had Adam West, Christopher Reeve, Michael Keaton, George Reeves, Bill Bixby, and Linda Carter to watch. What did we have in animation? The 60s Spider-Man? Amazing Friends? The Superfriends? No comparison there. It was live-action that shaped my view on the genre. I've liked some animated superhero shows and films since then, but even the most popular ones I tend to view as being somewhat overrated. Fun, but not to the level of the best live-action versions. The one exception is Batman: The Animated Series (and Mask of the Phantasm) which I thought was absolutely brilliant. And even then, I still prefer Nolan's version.

Further to my last, just as an example of an animated casting I'd take over a live-action one, I like Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, but for me Kaley Cuoco absolutely nails it in the HQ animated series, and I'd take her version any time.

I'd like there to be more animated movies that actually release in theaters. I've seen a few of the DC animated movies, but they're all pretty much straight to video.

Spiderverse is the only recent animated film I prefer over most live action movies.

I more or less agree with Speed Force.

Theatrical Animated films like Mask of the Phantasm, The Incredibles, or Into the Spider Verse are as good as the top tier live action films. Problem is, those are the exceptions, not the rule.

Animated television has the advantage of being able to have more developed and also varied characters and stories, animated films not really those advantages and are instead burdened by tending to (have to) be more for kids. Much as I love Mask of the Phantasm I think that's the only really exceptionally good animated superhero film.

I love animated films. As in I will definitely watch every animated film in the comic genre, sci-fi and fantasy whether good or bad. But live action is that much harder to achieve and that much better when you get it right.

Like most I prefer live action....so long as it's good.

When it's not, it's worse than bad animation.

As a DC fan I can say that DC's animated filmography is light years ahead of Marvel's, and that includes its animated series (Batman TAS, Superman TAS, Justice League, Teen Titans etc.)
but the reverse is true when it comes to the MCU vs DCEU ( light years behind, with a couple of bright points).

I honestly enjoy both equally as long as they're done well.

Both are fine though I’ve always believed the oft-looked down upon animation would be a better format. Im hoping Spider-Verse 2 brings in big bucks and convinces Dis/Marvel to do some stand alone stories in big budget animation.

I think Animated movies work for storylines like Kingdom Come and the Dark Knight Returns. Live action would have to streamline it or add things to make it more easily understandable for the masses.

Live action, no question. There's always been something more exciting about seeing your favorite superheroes brought to life.

That depends...

If superhero titles from America publisher like Marvel or DC and others, then I think live action is the proper choice.

If the manga title-based comic book, I think the anime or animated movie will be fine.

I am open for both.

I want to say live action. But animated films often times just seem to be better. Death of Superman and All Star Superman are probably the best Superman films ever made. Even better than Donner’s S:TM. Likewise, Mask of the Phantasm is only bested by Batman Begins and Dark Knight. It’s probably on par with 89 in terms of quality.

These of course are my opinion. But I think the animated films tend to have some higher quality storytelling. I think they are made by people who approach them as passion projects and who have respect for the characters. They mold the story they are telling to fit the character, as opposed to the other way around which happens often in live action films with bigger name writers and directors. So I wish live action was better and I would prefer them if they were. But that often is not the case.

I got into Batman , Superman, Spiderman, and several other comicbook characters via live action films and tv shows, since I was child basically.

I didn't start reading Batman, Superman, and Spiderman comics till I was 12 or so.

Batman 89, The Reeve Superman films, and the 70s Spiderman and Hulk tv shows led me to seek out the comics as I got a little older.

That's one of the reasons i've never been as dogmatic as my fellow fanboys who demand that the films and tv shows mirror the comics 100 percent.

The live action films can be a starting point which can lead to the comics if one gets really interested in the characters.

So for me , its the live action films more than the Animated Movies. That's nothing against the Animated movies.

BMOTP is one of the best Batman films period, and can hold its own with several of the live action Batman films, including the Nolan films imo, as controversial as that may sound.

My preference overall though, tends to be the live action films and tv since that's what got me into the comics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"