logan_weapon_x FAN ART!

logan_weapon_x said:
Here's my entry for this month's coloring contest.

jstormp66encils19ud.jpg

this picture is so kick ass. you did the coloring which is really cool but who did the drawing

i can picture cartoon marv going around with a hammer trying to smash kevin. picture tom and jerry, and youll know what im thinking about.

Hi.

You can get better results out of illustrator by doing a couple of simple things.

In the box that has your stroke size, there are also 6 boxes to the right. If you click the top middle one, it will give your lines a nice round end, instead of the harsh 'chopped off' flat end you have at the moment.

The next is a great one for giving things a more 'organic' feel.

In brush libraries (WINDOW), open ARTISTIC INK. select the outline of your picture, and click on one of the simpler brushes (like the straight with 1 rounded tip, or pencil texture). DON'T PANIC! Your outline has now probably gone fat & crazy. Simply decrease your stroke with until you're happy with it (for example, in your preset stroke with box it only goes down to 0.25, but you can go as low as you like by entering it by hand eg. 0.05....0.10 etc)

This will take a bit of practice, but you'll get the hang of it in no time & have much nicer results. the brushes add thickness/thinness/texture in different areas, and you can alter where this occurs by snipping the path here & there with the scissors tool to see what looks good.

Once you have grasped it, try using it with your interior strokes, but always have your outline stroke slightly heavier.

Have fun, and don't use the really complex brushes, they make things too complicated.

Let me know how you get on.

i thought this was a wolverine art thread even though the other pictures are kick ass

I just realized this is your art thread. WOW I feel dumb.

Hey, Logan.

Did you try any of the stroke work in Illustrator I mentioned...?

mikebatho said:
Hey, Logan.

Did you try any of the stroke work in Illustrator I mentioned...?

This'll probably sound smart-ass-ish but its not meant to. Does it look like I have? Its just I tried doing how you described and there were like six boxes, three on top and three on the bottom but when I clicked the one in the middle line on the top row nothing happened.

logan_weapon_x said:
I'm not saying I won't, but why?

it just looks bad and cheesy, like outlining it, doesnt make sense and like adding a stroke to the shadows

Well, that was the smaller of the 2 changes I mentioned. All that does is this: When you draw a line at the moment (your earlier stuff) the line has a flat end, like a square brush. Those 6 boxes alter how your brush behaves when turning corners, and the top middle one will change the stroke to round ended instead of square. You'll only notice it when you zoom in to the tip if the stroke your drawing.

The other stuff about the artistic brush pallette is far more fun, you can get some really individual results.

Another point is that in the new version of Illusttrator, there's a thing called LIVETRACE, where you can scan in a photo, drag it into Illustrator and turn it into a vector graphic, deciding how many colours you use. If you reduce the colours to 4 or 4, you can get a very similar result to some in the threads.

Now I know you take time to actually draw yours properly, but once people find out more about LIVETRACE, every tom dick & harry will be firing out artwork thats very similar, so anything you can do to make your work your own and give it character has got to be a result....

Someone on here did a Juggernaught (spelling) pic with one of the Illustrator brushes as a narrow outline, but you don't need to be that obvious.....

do you have a thread you can post that stuff in? like tips? i would like to know some but i dont want to bog up this thread

I don't I'm afraid. Here's a link to a piece of artwork I did to illustrate the brush thing. It's a tiny effort, but it just stops the picture looking to sterile, and gives it a much more rfee flowing look....

If you look at the sections I've circled, you'll notice the slight differences in stroke width that comes from the brush library...

Remember, you'll probably freak when you first click on a brush, because it'll look huge & fat. You'll need to enter a much lower point size, probably lower than the 0.25 that Illustrator gived you in the stroke size pallette....

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/14060/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

This is my latest. This is my up and coming company, or rather my corporate identity.

companylogo0ah.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"