Looking for good mystery fiction.

Marvolo

Avenger
Reaction score
Decided to delve into the mystery section of fiction, but I don't really know where to start and which current author's are worth reading. As far as mystery I've only read Dan Browns Da Vinci Code and Angel's and Demons. Low bar, but I enjoyed both.

I'm looking for:

1. Well written characters that I can love and hate depending.

2. Intriguing plot.

I'm interested in global and conspiracy mysteries especially those involving secret organizations and cults. I'm not hung up on only that, however.

Any suggestions are appreciated.:yay:

The Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Reliquary by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Still Life with Crows by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

Forget the film adaption of The Relic, if you've seen it. It was garbage compared to the book. If you like these, then I recommend Brimstone by the same authors. Its got a more global scope, though some of the characters were introduced in the first three I recommended.

May I recommend "The Hardy Boys".

Agatha Christie did quite a few International Spy type mysteries.

My current favourite Mystery author is Carol Higgins Clark, private eye mysteries.

I'm also reading Louise Penny but her stuff is cop mysteries.

Lee Child's Jack Reacher series is a hell of a lot of fun. They're equal measures mystery and pure badass thriller, and Reacher is a kick-ass protagonist. Child's prose is efficient and exciting. I'm not going to say they're great literature, but Child has etched out a strong voice within the formula with just enough twists and smarts to keep it from being rote.

And no, Tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher.

I've read most of the Preston and Child novels and they were good when I was in high school, but I don't find much appeal in them anymore. Several of those novels are just straight up bad. Preston's true crime novel The Monster of Florence is a hell of a read, but the only other solo novel I've read from him, Blasphemy, was truly awful.

I just dove into Joe R Lansdale's Hap and Leonard series and they're a lot of fun too. Drenched in humor and local color.

Last edited:

Forget the film adaption of The Relic, if you've seen it. It was garbage compared to the book. If you like these, then I recommend Brimstone by the same authors. Its got a more global scope, though some of the characters were introduced in the first three I recommended.

OMG, yes... I was so disappointed that the film version of the Relic excised Pendergast entirely, though I can understand why. He's one of my absolute favorite characters and is, to me, very much a modern day Sherlock Holmes.

I picked up The Relic tonight and have begun reading it. Im not very far but so far its off to a good start. I gotta say it feels great being back in the lighter side of literature. Ive been reading heavy history, psychology, and physics books off and on for over a year now. My brain was in need of some escapist fun.

The Conan Doyle Sherlick Holmes pantheon.

If you like global conspiracies, I recommend the gn's XIII.

The Conan Doyle Sherlick Holmes pantheon.

If you like global conspiracies, I recommend the gn's XIII.

Ive got the barnes and nobles collection. Sherlock is such an interesting literary character and i can relate in some ways to him. Its def on my to read list.

I started reading my August issue of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine today. One of the features is "Blog Bytes" by Bill Crider. In which he recommends various blogs mystery readers might like. Well Marvolo, he seems to have two in there just for you, both focusing on espionage fiction:

www.spyguysandgals.com

doubleosection.blogspot.com

I started reading my August issue of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine today. One of the features is "Blog Bytes" by Bill Crider. In which he recommends various blogs mystery readers might like. Well Marvolo, he seems to have two in there just for you, both focusing on espionage fiction:

www.spyguysandgals.com

doubleosection.blogspot.com

Thanks! Il check those out.:)

Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar series are pretty enjoyable mysteries, engaging plot, clever twists and the two main characters Myron and his sociopathic best friend Win are really fun and bitingly witty.

Robert Ludlum novels are pretty good about global conspiracies and secret organizations. If you like Dan Brown's novels, the mystery in The Gemini Contenders is similar in that it also revolves around a religious organization trying to cover up an ancient religious mystery...with murder.

Almost all his other novels revolve around political conspiracies to assassinate, control the world, etc. as well, and there are quite a few (23 according to Wikipedia), so if you like The Gemini Contenders, have at it. He also wrote the Bourne novels (The Bourne Identity, etc.), although the plots differ wildly from the movies (but that just means you aren't bored with the same plot twice).

If you are interested in the middle ages, I have a really good mystery novel to recommend: The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco. It's a great book. It's about a medieval monk named William of Baskerville who goes to a rural monastery to solve a series of bizarre murders that have occurred there.

Adore your blog and all posts. Related that to my own FB page! Excellent motivation for in which I am at with my own editing. and one more thing Just what web sites and also discussion boards do the searching neighborhood talk many on? I am looking to find out just as much about the on the internet searching neighborhood as I may. Can easily anyone suggest a common discussion boards, face book deals with, or web sites which you discover very indepth? Which ones are most widely used? Thank you!.

Fort Lauderdale FL Locksmith
Jupiter FL Locksmith
Mission Viejo Locksmith
Locksmith Manchester
Delray Beach Locksmith
Locksmiths Meriden
Locksmiths Mesquite
Locksmith Miami
Locksmiths Milford
Locksmith Paterson
Perth Amboy NJ Locksmith
Locksmiths Scotch Plains
Locksmiths Summit

for in which I am at with my own editing... I am looking to find out just as much about the on the internet searching neighborhood as I may.

Ohhhh kayyyy.... ummm... perhaps this would be more understandable if it were posted in a language you actually speak. As English, these phrases just don't work. I almost think this ran through 3 different translations to get to this state OR you're a native of the planet Yoda came from.

If you can look past the upcoming Tyler Perry abomination, you can't go wrong with the Alex Cross series:
Along Came a Spider
Kiss the Girls

Jack & Jill
Cat and Mouse
Pop Goes the Weasel
Roses Are Red
Violets Are Blue
Four Blind Mice
The Big Bad Wolf
London Bridges
Mary, Mary
Cross

Double Cross

Cross Country

Alex Cross's Trial
I, Alex Cross
Cross Fire
Kill Alex Cross

A series I really dig is the Sigma Force series by James Rollins. Former military who are trained in the sciences work for a secret agency within DARPA who uncover secrets behind historical events and artifacts. Kind of like a blockbuster in a book. They are:
Sandstorm

Map of Bones

Black Order
The Judas Strain
The Last Oracle

The Doomsday Key

The Devil Colony
Bloodline

The hardy boys is an awesome book!
I have found the recommendation here
and I can say it's one of the best fiction books I have ever read!
Thanks!

Ohhhh kayyyy.... ummm... perhaps this would be more understandable if it were posted in a language you actually speak. As English, these phrases just don't work. I almost think this ran through 3 different translations to get to this state OR you're a native of the planet Yoda came from.

That's a spambot/bot account.

Hi Marvolo,
Recently read "the girl with the dragon tattoo" by Stieg Larsson and will recommend you to read this best crime and mysterious book.
summer starter music festival

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"