M. Night Shyamalan’s ‘Knock at the Cabin’ (Feb 3, 2023)

Just found out the cinematographer for this did The Lighthouse and The Northman! Awesome!

Just realized that the final shot was one of the intruders with a mask.

2E4235C2-4D14-4274-A1B9-28B54121799C.jpeg

Outside of the representation, I'm not feeling this one.

You might say... he's evolved.

200.gif

Why M. Night Shyamalan dug into the vault to film 'Knock at the Cabin' with old cameras from the 1990s

I'm drawn to older ways of telling stories," Shyamalan told Empire for the magazine's January 2023 issue (now on sale). To that end, he shot the project on cameras and lenses from the 1990s. He secured equipment that was even older for a number of flashbacks. "They were barely functional," he recalled. "At certain focal lengths, they would become out of focus. All of those imperfections are part of it."

The hope was to make something akin to "a dark fairy tale," the director said. "There's a little girl that's sitting in the grass playing, and a giant comes up and shakes her hand and says, 'Somethings' gonna happen to your family' ... I love telling dark stories and I'm going to guide you through some really horrific things, but you can feel the narrator believes in humanity."

A major theme he wanted to explore was how fragile our notion of a house (or in this case, a cabin) being a place of safety really is. "When you get a knock at the door, our fears make us think, 'Wait a minute, this is all a facade. Anyone can come in here and do whatever they want.'"

Having read the book this is based on, I'm curious if Shyamalan sticks to the ending or tries to change any of it. I thought the book was terrible, so even though I'd love to support something Rupert Grint is in, I can't say I'll be rushing out to see this.

It’s a beautiful novel and the cast is perfect but the fact this project is being wasted on a hack like M. Night is embarrassing. It looks good, and rather faithful, but I know he’ll screw it up in a comically incompetent fashion because that’s how he rolls.

They're promoting this film hard on twitter. I keep getting an ad for it, even though I tell it I'm not interested every single time. :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"