Mad Men: 1st Season Encore

Shifty

Chief of Surgery
Reaction score
While there is no way one can defend the mediocre films AMC (no longer American Movie Classics, its just "AMC") you shouldn't let their movie selections stop you from watching one of the best televisions shows currently on the air. Mad Men premiered in July and just wrapped up their first season with the second scheduled for next year. The encore of the first season starts this Thursday. I tuned in to watch the pilot back in July and was hooked. Anyone else have a chance to view this?

Trailer
[YT]S9Qyk3ugM5A[/YT]
Green Ambition
[YT]NTLFZ5aVwC0[/YT]
Advertising
[YT]BfRYubltqG0[/YT]
Jon Hamm on Jimmy Kimmel
[YT]r24kisJsnk[/YT]

Reviews
Mad Men is . . . must-see TV"
"Television's best new drama"
"Mad Men is out of this world"
". . . sumptuously filmed, you could turn down the volume and just watch the suits . . . "

– NEWSWEEK

"Unmissable"
"...possibly the best new show you'll see this summer"

– TIME Magazine

"If you want to feel good about being alive on the planet in 2007, watch the premiere of MAD MEN on AMC"

– LOS ANGELES TIMES

From amc.com
What you are, what you want, what you love doesn't matter. It's all about how you sell it. From AMC and the Emmy® Award-winning executive producer and writer of "The Sopranos" Matthew Weiner, comes Mad Men, a provocative new primetime drama about how to sell the truth. Set in 1960 New York, the daring new series is about the lives of the ruthlessly competitive men and women of Madison Avenue advertising, an ego-driven world where key players make an art of the sell while their private world gets sold. The 13-episode, one-hour original program produced by Lionsgate premiered Thursday, July 19 at 10 PM | 9C.
The encore of the season begins Thursday, November 1 at 10 PM | 9C.

Created, executive produced and written by Weiner, the drama series stars Jon Hamm (We Were Soldiers), Elisabeth Moss (The West Wing), Vincent Kartheiser (Angel), January Jones (We Are Marshall) and Christina Hendricks (Kevin Hill), and guest stars John Slattery (Desperate Housewives), Rosemarie DeWitt (Standoff), Talia Balsam (All the Kings Men) and legendary stage and screen star Robert Morse ("How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying"). Michael Gladis (Third Watch), Aaron Staton (The Nanny Diaries), Rich Sommer (The Devil Wears Prada), Maggie Siff (Michael Clayton) and Bryan Batt (La Cage Aux Folles") round out the cast.

The Setting: In 1960, advertising agencies were an all-powerful influence on the masses. Personal and professional manipulation and sexual exploits defined the workplace and closed the deals. The high profile Sterling Cooper Advertising Agency created advertising campaigns – from cigarettes to political candidates -- better than anyone. It was a time of great ferment. Women had barely begun to come into their own. Librium and birth control were on the move. Ethics in the workplace, smoke-free environments, sexual harassment and ethnic diversity were workshops of the future.

The Premise:
The series depicts the sexual exploits and social mores of this most innovative yet ruthless profession, while taking an unflinching look at the ad-men who shaped the hopes and dreams of Americans on a daily basis.

The Players: The series revolves around the conflicted world of Don Draper (Hamm), the biggest ad man (and ladies man) in the business, and his colleagues at the Sterling Cooper Advertising Agency. As Don makes the plays in the boardroom and the bedroom, he struggles to stay a step ahead of the rapidly changing times and the young executives nipping at his heels. The series also depicts authentically the roles of men and women in this era while exploring the true human nature beneath the guise of 1960 traditional family values.

Reviews

3 and a half out of four stars
"The sophistication of a feature film . . . "

– PEOPLE

"Gorgeous in every way... smart and tremedously attractive."

– THE NEW YORKER

"Critics have been salivating for a look at MAD MEN"
"One of the best-written, all-around sparkling works to come along in many a season."

– THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

Top Ten of Entertainment Weekly's 50 Summer Shows
"Makes you smile without needing jokes."

– ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY
"So cool it will force you to turn off the air conditioning . . . "
"The best new show of the summer"

– NEW YORK POST

. . . crackling moral dilemmas. Astounding retro detail. Sizzling cast. Sold!"
– US WEEKLY

"Wow . . . dazzling . . . sleek, sexy . . . 9 out of 10"
– TV GUIDE

Posted by AMCtv.com on September 12, 2007

Mad Men is available for free On Demand and in high definition from most cable providers. We've listed some of the biggest cable providers below along with information about how to find Mad Men in their On Demand offerings.

On Comcast: Check the TV Entertainment section, under AMC.
On Time Warner: Check under Entertainment On Demand, then under AMC Mad Men, and also in select markets under the HD Showcase.
On Mediacom: Check under FREE PASS, then AMC.
On Rogers: Check under TV Entertainment.
On Insight: Check under The FREE SPOT.
On Cox: Check under Cable TV Showcase, then AMC.
On Cablevision: Check under TV encores, then AMC.
On Charter, Check under the "I want More" category, under Entertainment, then AMC.

I've seen the first few episodes and stopped watching because I forgot about it. I'm glad they're gonna play an encore of this season, now I know to set my DVR ;)

Is anyone still watching this?

I watched S2 and I love this show. It's such a real look at the 60's.

I love Don even though he's just such a I don't know. He does so many bad things but is yet redeemable.

S3 is technically tonight.

I am in the middle of watching season 2. I finished season 1 last week. this show is great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"