Mafia: Definitive Edition (Remake)

Just finished Mafia Remake. The game looks beautiful. The colors pop. The lighting is just right, though there are some areas that the lighting would go really bright. I love that there's a free roam mode that doesn't force me to do story missions. The game is short. Only twenty missions and the side quests could have been more. The map isn't big once I visited every part of the city in 1 day. But the graphics are soo good that I enjoyed free roaming and motivated me to find the collectibles. The architecture of the buildings, the details of the environment and the cars are nice. They made a beautiful looking game. Finding all the 49 different cars in the game was a nice extra activity as well. I think this is a good remake. They didn't add many new things but this game feels current to me. I wish Mafia II got the same treatment.

The story is also short however, I took my time. This took me maybe 3 weeks. Though I finished the last five missions in a day. In a way, the game felt a longer eXperience compare to Mafia 2. I liked some of the missions especially the one in the church. That chapter was so long and kinda crazy. The cutscenes are well made and cinematic.

Things I don't like: Only two radio stations and there weren't any songs I enjoyed listening. Cannot ride the trains. There's no stores where I can buy things. Tommy can't eat. Not all collectibles are available in free roam. I don't like finding collectibles in story mode as they are distractions from the main missions. I missed 8 collectibles.

So now I finally played all Mafia games. I don't think I've played a game series backwards. Even though this is a remake, the story is based from the first game. Before playing, I found out that Tommy was randomly killed by Vito in a cutscene. I didn't really realize that was the protagonist in Mafia 1 when I saw that in Mafia 2 and seeing it at the end of this game, that scene hits differently now. I also watched Vito get killed in Mafia 3 which is more brutal, but I didn't kill Vito when playing Mafia 3. So Tommy's death is sadder. The ending of this game is quite sad as no one got a happy ending.

I'd like to see more remakes especially for 2000s and early 2010s action games. I would also like to see a Mafia IV especially now. I enjoyed this remake.

I free roamed this game a bit before I uninstalled it to make room for new games.

And this game is a beauty, its just too bad there's nothing to do in "free ride". The graphics are amazing though I'm kinda baffled that T2 remade an open world game yet didn't include many things for replayability well at least in free ride. I feel like this is definitely not as talked about for a 2020 game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"