Iron Fist Finn Jones IS Danny Rand / Iron Fist

I recall some Loras Tyrell sword fight scenes too. But as I recall his character was wearing a helmet and armor in all these scenes. So it easily could've been a stunt swordsman.

Yeah, probably.

This thread hasn't been updated in almost a year and right now is the height of the show's hype. That's kind of telling...

This thread hasn't been updated in almost a year and right now is the height of the show's hype. That's kind of telling...

Not really. There was plenty of discussion and updates about the show in other threads. For a while news was trickling.

Also some of these threads are kinda redundant and all talk about the same things.

So then why is Colleen Wing's thread always being pushed to the top? Hmmmm?!? :cwink:

Her thread is only two pages. Hardly constantly pushed to the top.

I liked him alot more than I thought. I keep getting proven wrong by Marvel's casting. I always have major doubts, especially with Netflix casting. Had the doubts with Matt, Jessica, Luke...and with Danny. But, I wind up liking the choices. Same here, I liked him in the role and look forward to seeing more of him.

Her thread is only two pages. Hardly constantly pushed to the top.
Touche'...but I'm constantly hearing praise about Colleen Wing. Almost none about Danny Rand. In fact, it's the opposite. It's mostly criticism.

The lead actor is really hot... Though his acting is quite not good.
He's pretty one note. I don't know if this is director's decision or an actor's decision but there's not much range coming from him.

I thought he showed range in in the first two episodes, when talking about the plane crash. I thought he conveyed the trauma he went through pretty well.

He is playing a character who's been burying his emotions, too. It's why it was a little jarring to see how emotionally unstable he got by the end.

I thought Finn was fine. Not great, but far from awful

I like Finn as Danny. He played the roll well enough that I bought into his innocence and naivety for the most part. Could have done with opportunities for him to be forced to confront his emotions rather than suppress them. They really strung that and his reasons for coming back right up to the end.

Finn played a pretty good Danny Rand.

Only issue is he was a bit stiff and unbelievable for the fighting scenes.

I gotta admit that some of the fighting could have been better. There were times where I wasn't quite sold on either the choice of moves or how they shot it. I think there were a couple of obvious misses caught by the camera angle. Thought Finn was athletic enough though, just would prefer them to sell the action better. Maybe if they got some of the people involved in Daredevil to consult in future.

The direction and editing on the fight scenes were...questionable.

Just seemed like they were fighting in slow motion.

Two episodes to go but I'm really liking Finn as Danny. I felt he's been a joy to watch.

I gotta admit that some of the fighting could have been better. There were times where I wasn't quite sold on either the choice of moves or how they shot it. I think there were a couple of obvious misses caught by the camera angle. Thought Finn was athletic enough though, just would prefer them to sell the action better.
I actually studied Kung Fu hardcore for a few years and I found Finn's skills very novice. As stiff and rigid as Keanu Reeves looked in the first Matrix, he still sold Kung Fu better than Finn.

Maybe if they got some of the people involved in Daredevil to consult in future.
Hopefully...I'd like to see Iron Fist actually look like he's been studying martial arts for at least 5 years.

Also, I don't sense much charisma in Finn similar to how I didn't really feel much charisma from Mike Colter as Luke Cage (at least in Jessica Jones)...which leaves me to wonder how they're bromance is going to be portrayed in the Defenders. Hope they don't feel as dull as I've seen them so far.

Last edited:
I found Finn as Danny okay at first. Though by episode 9 I got really annoyed with him. But I guess that's more the writing's fault than his. I didn't like him being such a naive, tantrum throwing child, who keeps running into situations with no plan at all, and just wings it all the time. Hopefully whoever is in charge of the Defenders, has a better handle on the character. Though some things I can't blame on the writing. Like when Finn has to act all confident, well, more when he has to show authority, he comes across like a dick. He is just not likeable in those moments, or really convincing.

But my main problem with Finn is that he doesn't really feel threatening at all. He's supposed to be K'un-Lun finest warrior. Grueling training for 15 years, where every day was a struggle, the immortal weapon, the Iron Fist. He doesn't sell it. Not even remotely. And that just takes me out of the moment every time he fights.

I found Finn as Danny okay at first. Though by episode 9 I got really annoyed with him. But I guess that's more the writing's fault than his. I didn't like him being such a naive, tantrum throwing child, who keeps running into situations with no plan at all, and just wings it all the time. Hopefully whoever is in charge of the Defenders, has a better handle on the character. Though some things I can't blame on the writing. Like when Finn has to act all confident, well, more when he has to show authority, he comes across like a dick. He is just not likeable in those moments, or really convincing.

But my main problem with Finn is that he doesn't really feel threatening at all. He's supposed to be K'un-Lun finest warrior. Grueling training for 15 years, where every day was a struggle, the immortal weapon, the Iron Fist. He doesn't sell it. Not even remotely. And that just takes me out of the moment every time he fights.

Yes to all of tbis completely agree. He doesnt sell anything about his character. Even in those small moments where he meditating and focusing his chi, his body movements just dont...LOOK right on him. Maybe its his silly haircut and beard that makes him loom silly but something about him, he doesnt have that badass prescence that an immortal weapon is supposed to have.

To me it's nore about his body type than haircut. I felt like Finn was lithe enough to be Iron Fist. I pictured him as more the Bruce Lee type in stature (though Lee did maybe have more defined muscles). Finn seemed slender enough without being too skinny or too ripped.

Yeah I dont get the hate for Finn. A lot of complaints about him being stiff

I didn't like Finn in the role at all the directing, writing, editing, and fight choreography didn't help.

Yeah I dont get the hate for Finn. A lot of complaints about him being stiff
If we're talking acting, he doesn't have much range. He has 3 modes: concerned, angry, and confused...all which require him to furrow his eyebrows. And he always talks like he's afraid of the neighbors filing a noise complaint. It's like a slight whisper...like all the time.

If we're talking martial arts skill then he's not exactly stiff...but he's pretty balletic, slow, unbalanced and honestly kind of weak. At least the shots of Finn. The stunt doubles do fine enough.

Last edited:
I wasn't thrilled with Finn's casting having seen him in GoT but I can't help but feel bad for the guy as he's getting unfairly skewered.

My opinion is that he ultimately did a good job establishing the character who was perhaps the most difficult to approach in the run up to The Defenders. I actually enjoyed his performance at the beginning but it went downhill in the last couple of episodes. Having said that I blame the writers for how irritating his character became more so than Finn.

Am I dying to see another season starring Finn? Not right now but I'm willing to hold judgement until I see him in TD.

And the whole white washing debate in this case I don't care for, and the attitude of interviewers such as in the below I find quite disgusting. There's no need to treat the guy like this when all he did was get cast in a role as per the source material. I mean it's bloody ridiculous that they can even make a point of how his co stars perceived "silence" on the issue speaks volumes.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...reviews-jessica-henwick-game-of-a7632861.html

For myself Finn was perfectly fine in all aspects of Danny, or at least what he was asked to do with what they gave him. I too studied martial arts hard core for years (an accident with a gas line put the kibosh on that) and as a former martial artist and a fan of good fight choreography I didn't have issue with Finn at all...

But the issue I think most people have is not Finn, it's the writing of the character and the very conception of the show combined with a very aimless storyline. All of that will tend to make your lead look bad to most eyes. If they could have at least had a decent finale I think most would have cut Finn a lot of slack.

I thought Finn was fine. Not great, but far from awful

I agree.

I thought he was ok. There were times when he got emotional and you can see 'the actor acting'. That thing some actors do when it doesn't feel natural and the emotion feels forced in the performance. Overall I think he did a ok job though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"